Docking time in Santorini with HAL

We will be in Santorini in July on HAL from 8-5. I understnad that the ship drops off people with HAL sponsored tours first at a port and then moves nearer to the area where the tram is or the donkey's. So at what time does one actually get off the ship if on your own ? There are five ships in port when we are there which I believe will result in massive traffic jams at the tram area, so would like to try and maximize our time with a plan.

We will be in Santorini in July on HAL from 8-5. I understnad that the ship drops off people with HAL sponsored tours first at a port and then moves nearer to the area where the tram is or the donkey's. So at what time does one actually get off the ship if on your own ? There are five ships in port when we are there which I believe will result in massive traffic jams at the tram area, so would like to try and maximize our time with a plan.

On which date is HAL's departure at 5:00pm? I thought they were all at 8:30pm.

Last week, we were told that passengers without tours would start to disembark at 9:30. We went to the Queens Lounge at 9:15 and got on a tender right away. I would suggest that you get to the lounge at about 9. Don't wait for the announcement, because we didn't hear one.

Last year when we were in Santorini on the Westerdam I had scheduled a private tour that would pick us up in Fira at 9:30am. At the 9:30 we were still waiting for the first tender. That day there was only one other small European ship in port with us so when we finally got ashore we ran for the cable car and arrived at the top at 10am exactly. I was very lucky that the tour operator waited and our day wasn't ruined. I was very disappointed in how much we could have lost due to the tendering situation.

Last year when we were in Santorini on the Westerdam I had scheduled a private tour that would pick us up in Fira at 9:30am. At the 9:30 we were still waiting for the first tender. That day there was only one other small European ship in port with us so when we finally got ashore we ran for the cable car and arrived at the top at 10am exactly. I was very lucky that the tour operator waited and our day wasn't ruined. I was very disappointed in how much we could have lost due to the tendering situation.

But,what time did you line up for the tenders? If it was 9:00am one could get stuck behind the ships tours. I think the trick is to get off while the ships tours are getting organized in the theater.

I have not tendered with HAL yet. However, on Celebrity at 7:00am, even 7:30am (Grand Cayman) they were announcing that it was a good time for those on there own to walk off. We scheduled our first tour through the ship because we had never been on Celebrity and were concerned about delays getting a tender. Also, I have been in Alaska where we have been on "group" tours not with the ship and once waited almost an hour for others from another ship to join us.

But,what time did you line up for the tenders? If it was 9:00am one could get stuck behind the ships tours. I think the trick is to get off while the ships tours are getting organized in the theater.

I have not tendered with HAL yet. However, on Celebrity at 7:00am, even 7:30am (Grand Cayman) they were announcing that it was a good time for those on there own to walk off. We scheduled our first tour through the ship because we had never been on Celebrity and were concerned about delays getting a tender. Also, I have been in Alaska where we have been on "group" tours not with the ship and once waited almost an hour for others from another ship to join us.

The problem with Santorini , is that the ships tours get tendered off first into Athinios, the ferry port where they can collect their buses.

Those with private tours get tendered to a jetty at Thira where you either get the gondola, a donkey or walk up into the town and if there are a few cruise ships around that day it can take a while to get up into town!

So there isn't the opportunity to get ahead of the ship tours "crowd" so to speak.

Alan- do you think it would be a good idea to get off with the ship tours and take a taxi from Athinios to Fira to attempt to get in front of the crowd? Or are we better to just wait it out until the crowd clears somewhat? We have never been to Santorini and are looking forward to a little sightseeing and some hiking. Appreciate your insights...and thanks again for the train strike info...it likely saved us big time!

Alan- do you think it would be a good idea to get off with the ship tours and take a taxi from Athinios to Fira to attempt to get in front of the crowd? Or are we better to just wait it out until the crowd clears somewhat? We have never been to Santorini and are looking forward to a little sightseeing and some hiking. Appreciate your insights...and thanks again for the train strike info...it likely saved us big time!

If and this is a big IF!!!! the ship will let you get off with those going on a ships tour...I would say that would be the way to go IMHO, since as you know there a lot of ships in port that day (a total of 5 including the Zuiderdam).

I will be on the Zuiderdam in August with 4 ships in port (6000 people). I am willing to get to Fira and take the bus to Oia myself, but is there really an advantage to taking the ship tour to Oia?? Is going it alone that miserable with all the people?

According to HAL only those with booked tours may get off the ship in Athinios. So the question still remains from any persons who have recently been on this itinerary at what time does one get off the ship. One poster said 9:15 and this would be great but with five ships I think the back-up might be huge. Any thoughts?

According to HAL only those with booked tours may get off the ship in Athinios. So the question still remains from any persons who have recently been on this itinerary at what time does one get off the ship. One poster said 9:15 and this would be great but with five ships I think the back-up might be huge. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure how important the time getting off the ship is, I think what transport is available at the jetty is more significant.

Using "porttimes" and other information it would appear that both the Splendour of the Seas (2,076 passengers) and MSC Musica (3,013 passengers) will dock before we do on the Zuiderdam (1,848 passengers) along with Costa Classica (1,700 passengers) and the Pacific Princess (688 passengers)

I think it would be safe to assume that passengers on the Splendour and the Musica will make it to the jetty before those docking later. Again making the assumption that say 50% take ship tours ,you have potentially 2,500

passengers ahead of you. The cable car capacity is 1200 passengers per hour

see: http://www.nomikos.org.gr/cablecar.htm

that is assuming all cars are fully loaded and working. So I it will take probably a couple of hours to clear that initial "batch" before the next batch (again assuming 50% on ships tours) of 2,100 passengers arrive which will potentially take up to another two hours to clear.

Of course there is the option of the "donkey ride" or DIY which will reduce the numbers a bit but I don't think significantly.

I don't there is any easy answer to getting a "full" day on Santorini without some it being spent in a line (queue)

I'm planning to keep an eye on the lines(queues) from the ship and when things quieten down... head over to the jetty and up into Thira for a leisurely lunch :)

(I notice that the Classica is due to sail at 13.00 hrs and the Musica at 1500 hrs ,so it should be a wee bit better in the afternoon)

The Ship Coordinator for the Noordam is telling me that there are no tender ports on the 10 day East Med. Is there now a dock for mid sized ships in Santorini? I think she may be wrong.

The Ship Coordinator for the Noordam is telling me that there are no tender ports on the 10 day East Med. Is there now a dock for mid sized ships in Santorini? I think she may be wrong.

Hi Jade!

Athinios is used for cargo and the inter-island ferries, cruise ships even relatively small ones tender in.

So, I have to agree with you, I think the ship coordinator is wrong :(

Enjoy your cruise !

Alan

Archived