What time before Sail Away

I read on a thread that you should be on board by 2:30 if your sail away is at 4:00. We are going to Aalaska out of Seattle, and I wanted to see some of the city before boarding and miss that cattle pen feeling of a crowded embarkation. I had planned on arriving about 2-2:30 and be on board by 3:30 which now I understand may be too late. So for all others who had late boarding plans like myself, what is the latest time to board to avoid the masses?

According to the HAL website:

Boarding Procedures

Embarkation times are printed on the front of your Cruise Contract. Generally, however, early embarkation will commence at 11:30 a.m. There may be certain exceptions due to local governmental procedures. Due to new port security requirements at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, we are unable to provide our guests with access to the cruise terminal prior to 11:00 a.m. Keep in mind that you must be on the ship at least one hour before departure, and the gangway will be pulled 30 minutes before sailing.

New U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

I suggest around 1:30 p.m. I arrived at port last year for the Maasdam around 1:20 p.m. I was on board abot 1:30 p.m. The good thing about this was I could go right to my room and drop off my carry-on without taking it up to the Lido.

I also didn't have a large crowd in the Lido when I went for a bite to eat, nor when I went to the spa to book the thermal spa or walking around the ship for my ipod art tour.

I use to arrive at 11:00 a.m. or 11:30 a.m., but now I will arrive after 1:15 p.m. Less stress and I really enjoy boarding at that time.

I use to arrive at 11:00 a.m. or 11:30 a.m., but now I will arrive after 1:15 p.m. Less stress and I really enjoy boarding at that time.

I try to arrive between 11:30 and 12, hoping that the boarding will begin by 11:30 and getting past the initial crush. I realize that the Lido deck can become crowded before the rooms open, particularly if the weather is bad and the outdoor areas can't be used effectively. But I find that by hitting this window, I have no problem finding a parking place to wait until the rooms open. I enjoy using the time to check out what is going on in the port, which can be really interesting if there are multiple ships boarding. Another consideration is, if you have AYWD, the earlier you board, the better chance of getting your preferred seating time if you want to make reservations. I made the mistake on the last cruise of waiting until the rooms opened (1:30) and was not able to get my reservation preference.

When an international cruise ship departs a US Port, it is legally required to send an ENOAD (Electronic Notice of Departure) Report to the US Government at least 75 minutes before departure. That report has many details on every passenger onboard. If a single number or letter on one of the details is missing or incorrect, the ship must correct it on a new ENOAD Report, then wait an additional 75 minutes after sending it before the ship can sail.

If you haven't boarded 75 minutes before sailing, and they have a question on any details about you (maybe you gave them the wrong passport number, or incorrect birth date), they will deny you boarding in order to allow the ship to sail on time. With today's fuel prices, it isn't worth it to sail an hour late and burn an extra $50,000 in fuel to get to the next port on time.

With today's fuel prices, it isn't worth it to sail an hour late and burn an extra $50,000 in fuel to get to the next port on time.

I last sailed on the Volendam in Feb. IIRC, the captain announced that the fuel consumption was 4 gallons per nautical mile at regular cruising speed, not considering any special effects such as making up time or dealing with heavy seas. Given the price of deisel at around $5 per gallon and a regular cruise speed of 20 knots, that would translate to a fuel burn of $400 / hr. While I agree that the fuel burn will go up when increasing speed, I can't see it being a factor of 10 more. What am I missing?

Seadrifter and Philip217 thank you for the information, knowing I had better be boarded by 3:15 and also that they do a life boat drill at that time will insure that I will be at the port by 12:30, even if I do have to do the cattle pen gauntlet, maybe I should change that to the dreaded Disneyworld Que Shuffle.

I last sailed on the Volendam in Feb. IIRC, the captain announced that the fuel consumption was 4 gallons per nautical mile at regular cruising speed, not considering any special effects such as making up time or dealing with heavy seas. Given the price of deisel at around $5 per gallon and a regular cruise speed of 20 knots, that would translate to a fuel burn of $400 / hr. While I agree that the fuel burn will go up when increasing speed, I can't see it being a factor of 10 more. What am I missing?

You are missing that either you misunderstood the Captain or he was completely wrong. A modern cruise ship, dependent on size and engine type, will get far higher gas consumption than this. The Queen Victoria currently consumes 18 feet to the gallon or 293 gallons to the mile at full speed.

The Queen Elizabeth II consumes 4,381 tons of fuel every ten days. This is approximately 80,000 gallons of fuel. She gets about 36 feet to the gallon. :D

The actual rates of consumption makes your calculations and the actual cost of fuel "significantly" higher.

Take care,

Mike

Seadrifter and Philip217 thank you for the information, knowing I had better be boarded by 3:15 and also that they do a life boat drill at that time will insure that I will be at the port by 12:30, even if I do have to do the cattle pen gauntlet, maybe I should change that to the dreaded Disneyworld Que Shuffle.

The extra time will give you a chance to walk a round the ship and get acquainted with it plus get a little lunch in and make any reservations that you want.

Ok so we will by there by 12:15, do the line shuffle, say cheese, then get right over to the bar to purchase a DAM T-shirt, try the DOD (Drink of the Day) and find a not too crowded place for sail away. Lets not forget, PUT on, not carry, the life vest for group muster, therefore only one DOD that I may avoid strap prat fall.

The post I read was under a very long multi-year thread called HAL Secrets. Cruisy said they sold them at a table at the Lido bar and other bars. I did not notice the date of the post was from 2004. They probably do not sell the DAM t-shirts any longer, oh well, I will just try the DOD and look for a good sail away spot.

The post I read was under a very long multi-year thread called HAL Secrets. Cruisy said they sold them at a table at the Lido bar and other bars. I did not notice the date of the post was from 2004. They probably do not sell the DAM t-shirts any longer, oh well, I will just try the DOD and look for a good sail away spot.

Even back in 2004 I don't ever remember seeing a table set up on embarkation selling anything.

The DAM t-shirts can be bought in the shops when they open after you leave port.

Even back in 2004 I don't ever remember seeing a table set up on embarkation selling anything.

The DAM t-shirts can be bought in the shops when they open after you leave port.

The Queen Victoria currently consumes 18 feet to the gallon or 293 gallons to the mile at full speed.

The Queen Elizabeth II consumes 4,381 tons of fuel every ten days. This is approximately 80,000 gallons of fuel. She gets about 36 feet to the gallon. :D

The actual rates of consumption makes your calculations and the actual cost of fuel "significantly" higher.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks for the corrections.

At full speed, s-class ships do about 0.014 miles to the gallon.

Archived