temporary crown looks horrible!

bella1979

I had a root canal on one of my front teeth (not one of the two front but the one next to the front). Anyway...my temporary crown looks terrible! (Think Chiclet!) My dentist said the permanent one will be smaller and more natural looking but I am SCARED! Has anyone out there had similar problems with temps? My cruise is in 3 weeks but he will have the perm. ones on a week before.:eek:

My dentist has a great technician who does beautiful temps - She actually crafts them from some pliable material instead of using prefab temps as they did years ago, and her permanent ones are so realistic my hygenist couldn't tell at first look which tooth had the crown.

I was praying for a Chicklet last year when I lost a tooth, same place as yours, in the middle of an 8 day cruise. No pain, fake tooth, but the "hill billy" look was with me for the remainder of vacation.:( Plus, my glasses broke on the first day, so I had to wear horn rim back up ones I had stashed in my purse. Had about a 60 second emotional melt down, then thought, well, what the hell, someday I'll laugh about this, so start now.

Most dentist try to make the temporary look as good as possible.

But are limited because of the acrylic they use. Your permanent crown

will look fabulous if he is a very good cosmetic dentist. Front teeth are

very hard to match perfectly but with technoligy today it is possible.:D

I'm sure your permanent one will look great! Be sure you have advil with you in case you have some residual pain - the couple of times I've gotten crowns, it's like the nerve is very irritated for a long time afterward. Or maybe it's just that my dentist likes to hammer the permanent one in....kidding!:eek: That would be a downer on your cruise, so be prepared just in case!

Thanks for the advice Libby! I have had absolutely no pain or soreness with the root canal so keep your fingers crossed! I guess the glass of wine last night did the trick! ;) I will have 8 days before the cruise to get used to it or make adjustments. My dentist is wonderful so it should be ok!

ok, went to a cosmetic dentist and got a different temp on that looks so much better. Like an actual tooth. For Free!!! Cool huh? They considered it a second opinion visit. Now what to tell my other dentist!?!?! :eek:

I am surprised the cosmetic dentist did anything knowing you were already a patient in treatment with another dentist.

What if you were to develop problems now. Who would take responsibility?

I hope all goes well with you and you don't have any problems and your new crown is good.

Kelly

Well...I went for advice on another issue (at the suggestion of my general dentist) I want fixed that is cosmetic...in order to do that she had to take off the temp. crown. I told her I hated it so she gave me a new one. She is going to take care of my other problem too eventually (after my cruise!) My general dentist is a dear friend so I won't have any problems. I talked with him already and explained what happened. All is good!

Archived