Sovereign - Dinner in Windjammer?? Done it?

Can anyone tell me their experiences dining in the evening in the Windjammer vs. the Dining Room on Sovereign?

We always have dinner in the dining room, but thought we'd try to strictly go casual dining on this short cruise and not bring so many clothes.

What can you tell me about the food, service, etc.?

Can you order a bottle of wine and have them save it for you like in the dining room? Are there waiters for bar service for beer, mixed drinks?

Is it strictly buffet or is there any table service?

Are there any stir frys, etc. as in Jade on the other ships?

Is anything cooked to order?

What about appetizers? Any escargot on formal night?

Do you tip the servers in the Windjammer cash or put the tips on your SeaPass for the dining room waiters and hope the Windjammer staff is also compensated?

Do tell...............:D

Because Sovereign runs a shorter route, you won't find the formality of the longer cruises. You could get away without the gown and suit on the 3 and 4 night sailings.

While the WJ is still a self-serve buffet, they do fix up the tables a bit for the dinner hour.

The server's will get you beverages and such, but you will still have to scoop your own food. No real table service!

I ate in the WJ formal night on the Sovereign and enjoyed it. It's not as busy as lunch so I could take my time making my selections. I think some of the same things that were offered in the dining room were available, but I can't remember right now.

I thought the food was good, but I also tend to like the lunch buffet too.

I just got tea (unsweet, ugh :rolleyes: :p) so I'm not sure about bar service or getting wine. They did have people coming around refilling the water/tea, though.

They do have bar service in the Windjammer at night.. and from what I remember they did have a made to order pasta one night and I "think" stir fry another night. We plan to eat our meals there on our upcoming Sov. as well....

We notice the last time we were on the Sovereign that some of the main items being served in main dining were also be served in Windjammer. Not everything of course, but some of them. It is more casual, but the food is good and we enjoyed it.

Archived