Half Moon Cay-cabanas and other ??

rarescrambler

The last time we were on HMC (2004) neither one of us recall there being ANY cabanas, so the island has obviously developed since then. We'll be there in October, but already the only cabanas available are the purple ones - all the other colors are waitlisted. May be a dumb question, but do the colors mean something? Is the purple furthest from the beach and that's why all the others are already gone? Are there current pix of HMC available anywhere so I can show my sisters who w/b w/us what I'm talking about. I'm guessing there's little to no likelihood of getting one if you go on the wait list. Why would someone sign up for one and then not use it?

Next question - when we were there in '04 there was a really nice BBQ dinner served and a reggae band playing. Is this still the case?

Any other news/tidbits about this beautiful port would be appreciated.

And while I'm asking dumb questions - I'm new to this board - what the heck does DW and DH mean? I've figured out that W is wife, H is husband, but what's the D?

And what's the roll call thing all about?

I love that I've found this for all the very valuable information, but being a newcomer, there's some stuff we haven't figured out yet.

Thanks.

http://static.flickr.com/108/296583013_6fa96f5e51_o.jpg

This will show you, cabana 15 is purple. That is the last one, furthest from the entrance, bar/ grill. I beleive the BBQ is available, and the cabana comes a with fruit tray, h20 & soft drinks, I wish I was going to HMC but we dock in Nassau & Freeport.

If anyone knows of any other beaches like this I would love to hear @ them. As far as the (D) I just asumed it means darling~! (lol) I'm probably wrong but it sounds good. Happy Sailing ~~~

We had a cabana back in November and it was awesome! They come with a fan, a mister, air conditioning, shower, snorkel equipment, floating mats, ice, cold soft drinks, fruit tray, chips & salsa, water, I think that's it. It's just great to have your own little piece of property for the day! :D The only bad thing, and you probably won't have this problem on down the beach, is having to shoo people away who don't see the "private" signs posted.

"This will show you, cabana 15 is purple. That is the last one, furthest from the entrance, bar/ grill. ..."

...Actually Number 15 is violet. We just booked with HAL directly rather than the website which was showing waitlisted for all but one. When we called she only had 2 or 3 booked. Problem with the site.

I would call the shore excursion number and ask them what is really available based on my experience this week.

Melissa

"This will show you, cabana 15 is purple. That is the last one, furthest from the entrance, bar/ grill. ..."

...Actually Number 15 is violet. We just booked with HAL directly rather than the website which was showing waitlisted for all but one. When we called she only had 2 or 3 booked. Problem with the site.

I would call the shore excursion number and ask them what is really available based on my experience this week.

Melissa

Now that I took a better look, put glasses on (lol) # 15 is Mauve, and then there is a light purple & a purple......... sry.:rolleyes:

Now that I took a better look, put glasses on (lol) # 15 is Mauve, and then there is a light purple & a purple......... Sr.:roll eyes:

I hate to add to your confusion, but #15 is called violet by HAL, #6 is purple. 11 is known as grey. Others may call them by another name, but that is how HAL classifies them.

I hate to add to your confusion, but #15 is called violet by HAL, #6 is purple. 11 is known as grey. Others may call them by another name, but that is how HAL classifies them.

If you click on my june 17th post you will see the cabana's as I saw them.

Forget about the color I just want to be in one of them!!!

Happy Sailing ~~~

And while I'm asking dumb questions - I'm new to this board - what the heck does DW and DH mean? I've figured out that W is wife, H is husband, but what's the D?

And what's the roll call thing all about?

The D for DH or DW stands for Darling or Dear whichever you prefer. As for the roll calls....each specific sailing has their own thread labeled "Roll Call" where you can meet and chat with others that will be on your sailing. It's fun to share excursion ideas, discuss the ship, etc.

Hope that helps!

Melissa

Number 6 is dark purple, we just had it 2 weeks ago and it was awesome!! I hope everyone who wants one gets a chance. In addition to all the things posted above that you receive, the only thing left out was the vegetable and dip tray. We ended up not eating at the BBQ because of all the snacks. Darn-it we just didn't want to leave that slice of heaven!

Happy Cruising!!

Are towels supplied, or do we need to take them from the boat? We have purple in November on the statendam.!! Thx for the info,. Assume we can take bottle of wine to the island to, and put it in the fridge?

We brought our towels from the ship, but there were some there when we got there. Save yourself the lugging them unless you want to wrap up on your way back, because you will need to leave them. Yes about the wine too.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 15 cabanas. Waitlists can open when someone cancels the entire cruise or just decides to cancel the cabana.

We had a problem with seeing most "waitlisted" on the HAL website but when we called and spoke with a rep, there were only 2 of the 15 booked. A problem with the website sometimes she told us.

I recommend calling directly if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the replies. Since I started this thread, I've learned that ALL the cabanas are waitlisted. So much for that bright idea. You snooze . . .

Not really. We were on the Zuiderdam in November of 2006 and all the cabanas were waitlisted. I made sure that I waitlisted myself and my husband for every one of the cabanas, just in case there was a cancellation. Imagine my surprise when I got to my cabin and found a letter saying that one had come available and did I still want it? We were sharing this with my sister and brother-in-law who were traveling with us. We were so excited! It was well worth the $! So, keep your fingers crossed -- one might just become available! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Imagination and were on HMC last Thursday.....and it was, as usual, divine! I got to the front of the line at the excursion desk about 1 1/2 hrs. after it opened and got assigned to Cabana #6, Purple, I just requested the first one available (this guy offered to let us have whichever one we wanted - last time we got one, they were adamant that you had to take first available, so evidently that rule just depends on who's working the desk!) #6 is the first in the second set of cabanas; I don't know if it's just because it's newer, or if they've come thru since November and put new furnishings in all, but the loungers are soooo luxurious - very soft and comfortable, perfect for napping! Food was veggies/dip, chips/salsa/sour cream/guacamole, fruit tray, soft drinks, water. We did not have towels - maybe that's on Holland? We brought our own over from the ship. #6 has a nice amount of shade; we couldn't get the AC to work at all - but it was no big deal. Drink service was available, but the drinks were quite melty by the time they made it out to us. And they were pretty weak, I thought. We had hamburgers from the bbq lunch and they were a little overdone, but we got our food right toward the end of when they were serving. The gift shop was well stocked - had never seen them have HMC t-shirts, and those were quite nice.

The water was absolutely perfect, lots of small fish everywhere. There were tons of people parasailing - hadn't really seen that before - and they had lots of the inflatable innertubes like they use in waterparks available - hadn't seen those before either. We pulled lounges out into the water, snorkeled, and floated to our hearts' content on our mats - a really lovely day!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived