First time in London

My husband and I are jeans & t-shirts people, should we be a little dressier for our time in London? We will be staying at The Waldorf Hilton and my husband feels we will be uncomfortable if we don't at least wear slacks instead of jeans - is this true?

The jeans and tshirts create a certain first impression in a 5-star business hotel --but you probably realize that and don't care about perceptions. I think blending in is a good strategy for Americans. That is why we pack black for London and generally look as Euro as possible when there. (No golf clothing-or light colors). Just a good security move when there are people who don't like Americans--unless of course you are Canadian--then you'll just be thought of as mildly amusing! I totally agree with your husband.

My wife and I spent a week in London after a TA cruise a couple of years ago and were surprised at how casual Londoners dressed. When you are in the "City" area you see a lot more suits but mostly the clothing was similar to what we see everyday in the USA.

By the way London is a fantastic city and we found we didn't even begin to cover it in the week we spent there. There is so much to see and do that it just can overwhelm you. If you are going to be there for more than a couple of days look into the London Pass, which can give you transportation and entry into many sites you will want to visit anyway.

Have a great time in London.

For anyone who believes that they "blend in" in England, I doubt that they do. English people have a certain look about them. For one thing, they tend to be very fair.

Tourists are going to look like tourists because in London you are either a worker or a tourist. So you will be in work clothes or casual clothes. Those in casual clothes are tourists.

In any event, London is a safe city and not a place I have ever felt intimidated. As for attire, I saw all kinds of attire in summer. Most people are dressed very casually unless they are working in London.

Hi,

Speaking as a London worker, I would say a great deal of workers here now tend to be dressed casually rather than suits - more American type approach I assume?

Hotels here don't seem to mind jeans and t-shirt provided they are not torn to shreds or filthy, which I would assume you wouldn't be doing!

Hope you bring some good sunshine with you, and enjoy your time here.

Steve

Just offering my opinion based on lengthy stays, business travel , parents in suburbs a while ago and son in residency not too long ago--i guess we have fairly forgettable looks and dark glasses and get asked for directions a lot, which makes me think we blend okay. BTW, jeans and t's look great on teens and 20's and rock stars! I do not feel unsafe in London; i just think it is wise not to be overtly American. Not that I am not proud of my country....i just think subtle is better in foreign countries anywhere in the world. Also, reason to leave white clothes at home is because public transport is just like in the states-not as spotfree as your own upholstered vehicle! Just a brief defense of my humble opinion, but then my personal campaign is to make the world a prettier place!;)

Please, as a long standing Londoner, may I beg you to wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I love wearing jeans in town. You can go anywhere in jeans during the day time and most places at night time. For some restaurants and night activities you may want to dress up a little naturally but I can assure you that the old blue ones are widely and happily accepted in all compass points of London including the smack bang centre. Have a great trip!

Archived