Buying cigarettes onboard

Don't want to start a controversy with smoking but....my mom is a smoker and one of the tips I read here long ago said to buy your cigarettes on board they are cheaper. Does anyone know if this is still relevant. Do they sell them on board and if so do you know the cost?

They have limited brands just the most popular I guess. If you are going to St Maarten wait and buy them there, they are a lot cheaper then on ship. I don't remember the cost I think it was around $17 a carton.... in St Maarten they were $13.

I don't KNOW because I didn't buy any onboard, but have read threads that say they confiscate them like booze you buy onboard/in port - and return to you last night.

Don't want to start a controversy with smoking but....my mom is a smoker and one of the tips I read here long ago said to buy your cigarettes on board they are cheaper. Does anyone know if this is still relevant. Do they sell them on board and if so do you know the cost?

Hmm, guess I'll have to save some room in my luggage - that's cheaper than I get them in VA or WV! Do you declare them when going thru customs or not?

great prices on sos in january we paid 81.00 for 5 cartons marlboro,lights, regulars, 100's as far as i could see for brands!

Hmm, guess I'll have to save some room in my luggage - that's cheaper than I get them in VA or WV! Do you declare them when going thru customs or not?

Yes, and you are allowed on 200 unless you buy them in USVI then I think you are allowed more

I know I can bring 200 cigarettes (1 carton) onboard for personal consumption - but this cruise is only stopping at Cozumel - but have several sea days where I could buy from the ship - just wondered what the customs rules were about bringing back say 5 cartons from the ship.

Yes, and you are allowed on 200 unless you buy them in USVI then I think you are allowed more

Buy them on the ship! You may pay a bit more but I have seen customs confiscate cigarettes purchased in Mexico. Seems some of the local vendors there sell cigarettes that are labeled "for export only" and then remove the labels. Somehow customs knew and confiscated them.

You will have no problem if you buy on the ship.

Lou

buying them onboard isn't a problem so long as you smoke, marlboro, bensons & hedges or winstons. there no imit to what you buy or what you smoke on board, they dont kee them back unlike alcohol. they sell strips of 200 up to boxes of 1000.

If you purchase your cigs in US VI, or PR, you can bring back 1000, or 5 cartons. If you purchase in St Maarten or anywhere else out of US territory, you can only bring back 200, or 1 carton. Customs agents are not as easy on cigs as they are on alcohol. If you bring back more than what is allowed, declare it, and pay whatever the tax and duty is, unless you feel lucky. They do not like tobacco smugglers.

Each person can bring back a carton so if you have non-smokers in your party, you can have them bring a carton in. As other posters have mentioned, there is a very limited selection on the ship. If you want 100's, I would suggest getting them as soon as you can because they have run out of them after a day or two on a couple of cruises I have been on. They don't hold them unless you buy them before the ship leaves port. Then they hold them until they are out to sea and give them to you.

Tucker in Texas

Don't buy the cigarettes. Instead intervene with your mom and convince her to stop smoking now!

My mom was a smoker and she died at 66 due to complications caused by smoking.

I am now convinced that smoking shortens lives. Do your mom and family a favor and get her to stop smoking. Life is precious and too short to be stubborn about smoking leaves from a plant.

My husband smokes and we buy in St. Maarten on the Eastern and Grand Cayman on the Western. We are going again soon but last we were in Grand Cayman we bought them for $12 per carton for Winston 100's. The ship is higher than that. They also don't carry a large selection for obvious reasons. They did not take them away from us like the liquor.

Don't buy the cigarettes. Instead intervene with your mom and convince her to stop smoking now!

I am now convinced that smoking shortens lives. Do your mom and family a favor and get her to stop smoking. Life is precious and too short to be stubborn about smoking leaves from a plant.

Drinking booze can kill as well. My girlfriend drank herself to death but never smoked a cigarette in her life. Cars are hazardous to your heath as well.

My husband used to smoke but quit this year. US resident allowed 200 cig. - 2 cartons. But you allowed 5 cartons from USVI - st. Thomas.

My husband smoked Marlboro. He said the one on the ship is Made in USA. The one in St. Maarten is made in Switzerland and he didn't like it. It's burned a lot faster and smell stronger and not packed down like made in USA. Back then, in St. Maarten was $11.00 ( in 2004).

Don't know about cig. in PR, but liquor is 5 pp

They have limited brands just the most popular I guess. If you are going to St Maarten wait and buy them there, they are a lot cheaper then on ship. I don't remember the cost I think it was around $17 a carton.... in St Maarten they were $13.

Need to be a bit cautious buying cheap cigarettes on the islands. Need to READ. Many of the cheaper cigarettes are not Class A, but rather Class B and are made specifically for certain markets. If they aren't Class A cigs, better leave 'em. Class B tastes like rolled hay.

Get a grip. :mad: The original question was about buying smokes, not asking for anti-smoking quips. Everyone knows its not good for you, but this is not the forum for picking on people who do smoke. Start your own "anti-smoking thread". Also, do you think that it is a matter of "convincing" someone to stop? If it were that simple no one would, but unfortunately it is not. Sorry about your Mom, but please try to stay on the topic.

Drinking booze can kill as well. My girlfriend drank herself to death but never smoked a cigarette in her life. Cars are hazardous to your heath as well.

One of my brothers died at 57 -- from lung cancer....never smoked anything in his life. He was, however, a truck driver........................??

Need to be a bit cautious buying cheap cigarettes on the islands. Need to READ. Many of the cheaper cigarettes are not Class A' date=' but rather Class B and are made specifically for certain markets. If they aren't Class A cigs, better leave 'em. Class B tastes like rolled hay.[/quote']

This is good advice. It states right on the cartoon whether the cigarettes are Class A or not. I can tell you for a fact the ones in St. Maarten are not Class A while the ones in St. Thomas are. BTW, I quit smoking nearly 20 years ago. :)

Archived