Wow.. Oasis of the Seas

- Third, It seems like many of the ships public areas are located at both the boardwalk and central park, both outdoor areas. These so far seem to be the public focal points of the ship...here is the issue (which im sure RCI have already thought about). As far as I know, there is no retractable roof on either the boardwalk or CP, so weather being unpredictable, what happens when it rains?? It would seem that many of the ships major public areas, lounges, and restaurants would then be unaccessible without getting wet. Not only that, but then the indoor areas would be extremely crowded. If CP and the boardwalk are emptied because of poor weather, then the Royal Promenade and the other smaller indoor areas would probably be packed with passengers. What if it rains the entire cruise?? I would think that many of the passengers would miss out on the amenities that RCI are advertising. Like I said, the RCI designers being the geniuses they are have surely thought about weather conditions.....but it does seem somewhat concerning...

I have wondered about the apparent lack of a roof also.

No roof means no protection from the rain and also no air conditioning.

It is certainly possible to pump cool air into the lower portions, but sooner or later it whould be mixed in with hot moist air from above or from the wind of the ship moving through the seas.

This is one of the many unanswered questions that defy speculation.

Only RCI knows for sure if there is a roof up there.

Hello fellow cruisers, I am extremely excited about the Oasis of the seas but I do have some questions and concerns...

Im sorry if these have been posted before :rolleyes:

- First off, Im afraid that the Oasis, with its size and "neighberhoods" will lose that classic cruising feel. Honestly, I dont want to go on a ship to see a replica of a city or park... I want to go on a ship and FEEL like Im on a cruise. If Oasis is the future of cruising, maybe in about 10 years, ships will never be the way they used to be and the entire cruise industry will be about putting everything they can on a ship.

- Second, There seems to be no promenade deck on Oasis (based on the photos). A promenade deck is a special part of the ship, because it escapes from the large city feel of the ships (like voyager and freedom) and just allows the passengers to enjoy the ocean on a wrap around deck. I would be upset if this part of the ship is truly missing.

- Third, It seems like many of the ships public areas are located at both the boardwalk and central park, both outdoor areas. These so far seem to be the public focal points of the ship...here is the issue (which im sure RCI have already thought about). As far as I know, there is no retractable roof on either the boardwalk or CP, so weather being unpredictable, what happens when it rains?? It would seem that many of the ships major public areas, lounges, and restaurants would then be unaccessible without getting wet. Not only that, but then the indoor areas would be extremely crowded. If CP and the boardwalk are emptied because of poor weather, then the Royal Promenade and the other smaller indoor areas would probably be packed with passengers. What if it rains the entire cruise?? I would think that many of the passengers would miss out on the amenities that RCI are advertising. Like I said, the RCI designers being the geniuses they are have surely thought about weather conditions.....but it does seem somewhat concerning...

Yep, there is a promanade and it's twice as wide as the promanade on Voyager class. This ship is amazing, but I do understand your concerns. I will definately give it a try! It's great that those who prefer the atmosphere of the smaller ships will still have that choice.

Started to search the internet for information that finally led me to the name of the company in Orlando Florida that is handling the design of the (shops, rstaurants etc.) at the new port. Go to www.ideaorlando.com which will have several of their projects one of which is Falmouth Jamaica. There is a small article that describes their vision for the project and artistic drawings of what this new and amazing port area will look like.

Here is a photo that Carnival has released for the Dream. Not a lot new on the exterior other than the position of the lifeboats, an outer promenade deck that will have a much higher glass railing and in hull balconies or some sort of outer deck on deck two. You see more details when you blow up the photo.

dreamrendering.jpg

Yeah I have that pic... I think the original poster I was replying to, was referencing the video that was put out from Fincantieri, which was pulled very quickly. I luckily downloaded a copy of the video prior to it being pulled. That ship is WAY larger than 130,000 GRT. I think that poster was thinking the video had something to do with the CCL Dream.... and it doesn't

Yeah I have that pic... I think the original poster I was replying to. was referencing the video that was put out from Fincantieri, which was pulled very quickly. I luckily downloaded a copy of the video prior to it being pulled. That ship is WAY larger than 130,000 GRT. I think that poster was thinking the video had something to do with the CCL Dream.... and it doesn't

I saw that video and that ship was well over 200,000 tons and I believe was a model for the Pinnacle design. Still may see it one day but as you stated, that will not be the Dream.

I heard from sources that the tattoos are in fact real and they are also having "body piercing". This is due to the fact that many 18-25 year olds will be cruising on the ship and it also is a popular vacation ritual.

my daughters would both love this. they both got tattoos in cozumel last time we went. i need to book this ship

Kids! God forbid!!:eek: It's safe to say that this ship is being built to attract MORE families not less so, if you don't like that than sail elsewhere.

I think the amphitheather looks really cool. The back of the ship was a waste of space before. This ship is obviously not for those who like to just hang on a private balcony all day looking at the ocean. Nothing wrong with that but, this is not the ship for that. There a many many smaller ships that people can sail on for that. This ship is for a more active cruiser. Nothing wrong with having different types of ships for different types of people.

Yes, it IS the ship for that and that and that and all the varied things that lure people to cruise. That's what's so great about this ship. It has things that appeal to everyone with every desire of cruising. It will have the balconies with private ocean views and as low to the water as you ordinarily get. Then it will have great entertainment for those who prefer to keep active with sports, games, shows, shops, anything you could want along with all the things you are used to. The whole point of building this type of ship is to please everyone. That's why there are so many different "Neighborhoods" for all types of neighbors...so why can't you all see the good in the design of Oasis? I can't wait to set foot on her.

Yes, it IS the ship for that and that and that and all the varied things that lure people to cruise. That's what's so great about this ship. It has things that appeal to everyone with every desire of cruising. It will have the balconies with private ocean views and as low to the water as you ordinarily get. Then it will have great entertainment for those who prefer to keep active with sports, games, shows, shops, anything you could want along with all the things you are used to. The whole point of building this type of ship is to please everyone. That's why there are so many different "Neighborhoods" for all types of neighbors...so why can't you all see the good in the design of Oasis? I can't wait to set foot on her.

I do see lots of innovation but I also see lots of exclusive surcharge opportunities.. at least three high end surcharge restaurants of which you can bet will each be $25+ dollars per person. Less focus on the ocean... and a boardwalk area that really looks pretty tame with many opportunities for money extraction.

I like the idea of Central Park (Real foliage and all).. but it is essentially a gateway to the Surcharge Restaurants and bars.

Aqua theater is nice... but it takes up the whole aft of the ship and I don't like the dual rock walls out aft.

Less public space per passenger.

No outside promenade deck.

Higher cruise fares.

All in all I do applaud RCCL for pushing the envelope... but I would like to see them push it in other directions myself.

So bottom line for me...

Central Park nice... but most certainly nicer if you spend extra $$$.

Boardwalk... big draw the Carousel? and a bar?

Aqua Theater... Takes up a lot of space even below the pool. Seats about 10% of the passengers max.

Royal Promenade... bigger yes but better we'll see.

I see a cruise ship more than any other that the overall time you have depends solely on the amount you spend. Otherwise you could miss vast portions of the ship.

I could be wrong.

I could be right.

We'll soon find out.

I don't like the exclusive pay trends at all beyond stateroom choices.

We are really getting to the point that you have to spend more in surcharges to get the "A"Cruise experience.

Never used to be that way at least on RCCL. But they are in it for $$$.

You can bet people will hold back MDR tips to pay for their specialty meals going to be even worse with three venues to try out each with ever higher surcharges.

Well four neighborhoods to go to Wow me... bring it on RCCL. For now I'm happy with the Voyager/Radiance class to be based on the West Coast soon. Saves airfare and humidity.

Here's the link to that Carnival Pinnacle Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLavy54daqk

now that is futuristic...it does look really top heavy but some really cool ideas with all the pools and the front to back people mover (for lack of a better word)...ty

they all look too way too big...they are going from a small city on the ocean to a metropolis on the sea...

Here's the link to that Carnival Pinnacle Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLavy54daqk

That is an interesting design. If you look closely at the area of the video where they show that giant high slide on the back area of the ship, you can see a very large wall of glass which means more than likely that ship was meant to have a large open atrium space down the center of the ship like the Oasis.

Archived