Carry-on Crackdown?

Robin7

Couldn't agree more - I can remember not having anywhere to put our one carry on satchel on a JAL flight from Narita to Vancouver. checked every bin to the back of the plane where the stewardess suggested putting it on the wheelwell - since I had a porcelain geisha doll in the bag I declined - finally someone in the other aisle said there was space in his overhead.

Problem was, I had to wait until everyone was off the plane to go back and retrieve my case - we were in seats by the emergency exit so didn't even have a seat in front of us to store things under.

We only take a small satchel each plus DH's CPAP machine which goes under the seat even though regulations allow it as a carry-on due to medical reasons. It is infuriating to see people drag in 2 or 3 pieces of luggage plus bottles of alcohol etc. and stuff all the overhead bins.

About time they cracked down on this.

It would be too bad though if they didn't allow a soft bag to hold a bottle of water, food and books to read that would be kept by the feet - since they won't feed us anymore they should make allowance for having to bring food onboard.

"So how do you think the airlines will be able to pay for higher fuel prices? Do you also complain that your gas station owner is a 'greedy bugger'? As well as everyone else that has had to raise prices because of the cost of fuel?" Boytjie.

Actually, I do not think the gas station owner is the greedy one, it is the oil companies making their well publicized record profits, who continue to increase prices, causing the gas stations to raise prices that are greedy. Likewise with the airlines, again referring to the Canadian airlines who are reporting profits, who now charge for what used to be included services like inflight entertainment, food, blankets.

And yes, like most people, I do get tired of the rising costs of everything in life. Some increases I can understand, others I do not.

But this is completetly off the original topic, my apologies to Robin7.

I cant believe how much people think they can stuff in the overhead lockers.... It should be policed and anything too big should go underneath. In a hard landing, I do NOT want all that stuff smacking me in the back of the head. People should think of the damage to their backs carrying all that stuff around too, instead of the 10 to 15 minutes waiting at the other end.... mmm...:(

Here's the solution: Airlines should install magnetic card readers (like you swipe your credit or ATM card through) on each overhead compartment. The mag stripe on the back of your boarding pass will open ONLY the bin over your seat! (Or the two bins, if your seat is on the border.) Then there could be no putting your stuff in someone else's overhead bin. :cool:

It's about time they enforced this. I'm so tired of folks bringing on suitcases and having no room for my carry on:mad: . Good on the airlines.

It's funny, but you'd be surprised how much more comfortable that coach cabin would be if people didn't have all manner of carry-on luggage on the floor. I took a flight from Venice to Heathrow last year, and they are really strict about carry-on luggage. One piece, no extra personal item, everything goes in the overhead bins. Nothing on the floor. While the coach section was probably the exact same size as it would be for airplanes here in the U.S., it was amazingly comfortable because you had plenty of leg room since there were no bags and other such stuff on the floor.

I don't doubt the airlines are gonna start getting tough about carry-ons. What would be the point of instituting these baggage charges if they're gonna let people work around them by carrying on everything?

I'm resigned that I'm gonna be paying through the nose for my upcoming 40 days of cruising in September/October. I'm gonna buy one large piece of rolling luggage and one small "carry on" piece and try to get everything into them. But it's gonna be tight ... no question ... and I will probably get hit with overweight charges. But there's just nothing I can do about that for this trip. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm resigned that I'm gonna be paying through the nose for my upcoming 40 days of cruising in September/October. I'm gonna buy one large piece of rolling luggage and one small "carry on" piece and try to get everything into them. But it's gonna be tight ... no question ... and I will probably get hit with overweight charges. But there's just nothing I can do about that for this trip. :(

"Through the nose?" It doesn't sound like you will be ... just $15, if you can manage to get your one bag in under the maximum weight. That's not "through the nose." Not considering how much I paid to fill up my car's gas tank yesterday.

Just make sure that your large checked bag is not also overweight and too large. Those extra fees are killers ... might as well bring two bags that are within the size and weight maximums than 1 bag that breaks the size and weight rule.

Years ago we flew between Sydney and Melbourne on Qantas. They had a VERY limited carry-on size. It was amazing how quick that 767 boarded. Passengers just walked up to their seats, but their small carry on in the bin overhead and sat down. No fuss, no muss. In Melbourne it was just as quick getting off.

On our return home, as we were waiting for our connecting flight from LA to board (with the aisle typically clogged), I commented to a flight attendant about how quick the boarding had been on that earlier flight. Her response "Australia is a smaller country". :confused: No, it is about the same size as the US. The population is less, but a 767 is still a 767. It doesn't matter how much area it is flying over - or how many people. :rolleyes:

I've also flown between Seattle and Portland (Ore). Most of the other passengers were connecting to trans-Pacific flights, if not all of them. One couple had 3-4 HUGE duffel bags as carry-on. The wife could have easily fit in any of them. The husband spent a lot of time trying to cram them in the overhead bins. He did NOT want them gate checked, just put on some of the empty seats (the plane was practically empty). We couldn't leave until they were safely secured, so he finally relented. I imagine it was even more 'interesting' when they tried boarding their connecting flight, which was probably full.

Problems will really start to arise when you fly with an airline that has a surcharge for that first checked bag plus a strict size/mass/number rule about carry-on luggage.

I used to pride myself on being able to travel with only one carry-on -- no checked bags at all -- for trips of a week or less. When I went to England this winter, however, I was horrified to learn that neither one of my carry-ons was light enough EMPTY to be acceptable to the airline, never mind full (the maximum weight for an economy-class carry-on was 5kg, or just about 11 pounds, and you were allowed only one per passenger.) Now, this line doesn't yet charge for checked luggage ... but just wait.

Oh, and they did weigh the bags at the luggage counter, and measure them too, and they were pretty brisk about assessing overweight charges on checked bags that topped whatever the maximum was on those.:eek:

Here's the solution: Airlines should install magnetic card readers (like you swipe your credit or ATM card through) on each overhead compartment. The mag stripe on the back of your boarding pass will open ONLY the bin over your seat! (Or the two bins, if your seat is on the border.) Then there could be no putting your stuff in someone else's overhead bin. :cool:

And they can charge $5 for the card swipe!

I think it would be fantastic if we could be sure the airlines would get our bags to our location on our planes with us and if we could be sure everything we had in them when we checked them would still be there. If people could feel safe checking some of their things and knowing they'd be there waiting for them on the luggage carousel, many would be delighted to not lug so much on board with them. Most of us don't dare check anything of value and certainly not basic necessities such as medications, breathing machines and other valuables.

If airlines had enough baggage handlers and the luggage was delivered to the carousels promptly, I imagine that, too, might make a difference.

One couple had 3-4 HUGE duffel bags as carry-on. The wife could have easily fit in any of them. The husband spent a lot of time trying to cram them in the overhead bins. He did NOT want them gate checked, just put on some of the empty seats (the plane was practically empty). We couldn't leave until they were safely secured, so he finally relented. I imagine it was even more 'interesting' when they tried boarding their connecting flight, which was probably full.

See, in a case like that, he should have been required to check them, and then charged a premium fee for checking them at the aircraft. That will teach him that you don't cram all those carry-ons into the overhead bins. What if other people needed some of that space for their ONE carry-on and didn't have it available because he hoarded it all?

I like the idea someone else suggested. A card swipe that will only open the overhead bin over your own seat. That overhead bin has to be shared between everyone on that particular row. If you are hoarding it, you're gonna have to deal with your seatmates about it ... and I am sure someone else won't hesitate to toss one of your bags out if he needs to make room for his own. Then, as I said, a premium charge for checking a bag at the aircraft ... the second bag charge, PLUS maybe $50 or $75. Betcha people won't try that crap very often anymore.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If airlines had enough baggage handlers and the luggage was delivered to the carousels promptly, I imagine that, too, might make a difference.

I guess I must walk slow, but the luggage is always coming around on the carosel by the time I waddle over to baggage claim.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We only take a small satchel each plus DH's CPAP machine which goes under the seat even though regulations allow it as a carry-on due to medical reasons. It is infuriating to see people drag in 2 or 3 pieces of luggage plus bottles of alcohol etc. and stuff all the overhead bins.

That's the fault of the cabin attendants. In a case like that, they should check nearby overhead bins and when they find the same person with several items in one of them, they need to pull one of their items out and replace it with yours. Then it becomes their problem to figure out where to put it, and if no place can be found ... oh, well ... baggage check is where it goes.

I honestly think this sort of thing won't be a problem much longer because no way are the airlines gonna add first and second checked bag fees, and then let people get around the policy by carrying everything on. That will do the airlines out of revenue, and no way are they gonna let that happen. Pretty soon you're gonna see the rules for carry-ons really tightened up. One per person, of a maximum size dimension ... period.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If indeed the airlines intend to enfore (finally!) their carryon policies, I am hopeful they will be looking at quantity as well as size and weight.

I see people rolling thru ORD with a roller case, a large duffle bag, a backpack, a very large purse, and a bagged meal/snack ... all for one person. Without a doubt, these are American leisure travelers who feel that the policies don't apply to them. Business and savy leisure travelers seem to be more respectful of the policies.

Wouldn't it be nice is the airlines installed credit-card machines at the gates and charged for gate checking all but essentail medical and or kiddie accoutrements.

I seem to notice business travelers loading their oversized garment bags into the overheads....stuff, jam, push, slam. Phew....got it in again! Sit down and look oh so innocent. As they open their briefcase, push their laptop case onto the tray table, push their lunch aside and hand the flight attendant their coat to stow somewhere. Am I the only one watching that scenario? :D

I seem to notice business travelers loading their oversized garment bags into the overheads....stuff, jam, push, slam. Phew....got it in again! Sit down and look oh so innocent. As they open their briefcase, push their laptop case onto the tray table, push their lunch aside and hand the flight attendant their coat to stow somewhere. Am I the only one watching that scenario? :D
No, I've seen that more times than I can count.

Really expensive....

Looked into it for a cruise out of Rio De Jenero and would have cost about $400.00 per large suitcase..

Ruth & Jim

LITTLE SIDE NOTE:

Friends of ours just flew to Europe for a 10 day vacation in several cities. He insisted that the each pack all they were going to take in one (1) (ONE) (ONLY ONE) carry on. When she mentioned this to Ruth she looked at me and said "Don't even try it if you like living... It takes her 12 suitcases for a 7 day cruise. We drive to the ports...

Ruth & Jim

The had a good vacation but she said that if he ever tries that again she is going to pack him in a carry on....

I've seen that a lot, too. The fellows my husband now travels with (only twice this year so far compared to four to six days a week with his previous company) all travel carry-on only. I am going to have to ask him when he gets home from Scout Camp what their carry-ons are like. I was quite surprised when he left on his last trip with just his (22-inch) carry-on. (He always previously checked a suitcase.) He didn't want to make them wait for his luggage so they all had 'roll-aboards' and computer backpacks! (Peer pressure!)

I wonder if that 40 pound limit is for just one case or a case and 'personal item' combined????

Still mulling my carry-on choices.

Robin

Geez this will just about shutdown the whole domestic US network! I am in the airline game I can tell you that more luggage is carried on in the US than anywhere else in the world. If strictly enforced by the flight attendants I can see lots of delays until this beds down. I have noticed a lot more airports in the world now weigh carry on baggage before heading through to immigration on international flights, this is independent of the airlines.

I've seen that a lot, too. The fellows my husband now travels with (only twice this year so far compared to four to six days a week with his previous company) all travel carry-on only. I am going to have to ask him when he gets home from Scout Camp what their carry-ons are like. I was quite surprised when he left on his last trip with just his (22-inch) carry-on. (He always previously checked a suitcase.) He didn't want to make them wait for his luggage so they all had 'roll-aboards' and computer backpacks! (Peer pressure!)

I wonder if that 40 pound limit is for just one case or a case and 'personal item' combined????

Still mulling my carry-on choices.

Robin

What with gel and liquid limits, how do they manage. Can't carryon aerosols....what about shave cream/after shave/cologne? Are there bottles 3 oz or less? I haven't seen any. I've seen the small cans of shave cream but they aren't allowed, are they? Do they buy it when they arrive?

I think that a lot of people just buy what they need when they get to their destination. As much as I love to travel, it has gottn so inconvenient.

Does anybody think that nude vacations will become more popular with the airlines charging to check suitcases now!:D

Archived