Carry-on Crackdown?

Robin7

As a result of that, I had to search for a place to put my ONE carry on, and it took a while to find that spot (8 rows back behind me on the plane). My bag would have fit in the spot taken up by this guy's laptop briefcase, that's how big it was. I then had to wait until the plane had been evacuated before I could get my bag.

<sigh>

In short, some business travelers are NOT considerate.

I would have politely asked him to remove one of his bags so that I could get my one bag into that overhead near my seat. I would have just told him I have medications in there I might need to get to during the flight and wanted my bag close by.

If he gave me any crap, sadly I would have hailed a cabin attendant to remove it for him.

That's a load of crap. If you wanna carry on multiple items, then you have to share the space needed to store them. Let him store his second or third carry-on eight rows back.

Fortunately, I think this will be a moot discussion in another couple of months, because I think the airlines are gonna crack down bigtime on what can be brought into the cabin and what cannot. After all, it would make no sense to add all these baggage charges and then let people avoid the whole policy by just carrying everything onboard with them. That would "cheat" the airlines out of their rightful baggage revenue as well.

I think in the not too distant future you're gonna see a lot of people checking bags at the boarding gate. I only hope the airlines charge them a premium to do so since they should have checked them at baggage claim.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I see no one has commented on people who reach up while still seated to unlatch the bins upon arrival. Some jerk did that on one of our flights and the lid popped open and barely missed hitting DH in the head as he was getting up. I do recall yelling at the guy!

Sorry, but this frustrates me. I boarded a plane last month behind a man who had a rolling upright that was just BARELY within the size maximum (it was larger than mine, and mine is about as big as it can be and fit, wheels first, in the overhead bin). On top of that he had a WAY overstuffed triple-sized laptop briefcase ... roughly the same size as a good-sized carry on. And, yes, I watched as he tried to stuff BOTH of them into the overhead bin because (yep) neither would fit under the seat in front of him. As a result of that, I had to search for a place to put my ONE carry on, and it took a while to find that spot (8 rows back behind me on the plane). My bag would have fit in the spot taken up by this guy's laptop briefcase, that's how big it was. I then had to wait until the plane had been evacuated before I could get my bag.

<sigh>

In short, some business travelers are NOT considerate.

As we all can attest ... there's enough rudeness to go around. Indeed, some biz travelers may not be particularly considerate, but the same is true in the leisure category.

I spend 2 days each week volunteering at ORD and I have ample opportunity to watch the passing parade. Just seems to me, from my personal observations, that the megaloads more often are towed by leisure rather than biz passengers.

I would have politely asked him to remove one of his bags so that I could get my one bag into that overhead near my seat. I would have just told him I have medications in there I might need to get to during the flight and wanted my bag close by.

If he gave me any crap, sadly I would have hailed a cabin attendant to remove it for him.

That's a load of crap. If you wanna carry on multiple items, then you have to share the space needed to store them. Let him store his second or third carry-on eight rows back.

--rita

I'd like to see this happen...the cabin attendent help....I guess you haven't been on Canada's largest airline before. The attendents are not helpful.

Kyros,

I was on a flight once when some of the overhead bins popped open because of windshear during takeoff. It was a flight out of Newark during a thunderstorm many years ago, long before there were wheeled carryons. Coats, books, boxes, purses and small carryons were flying about the cabin and passengers were screaming and ducking. I think there were some minor injuries but we continued on to California once the plane leveled off so there must not have been any serious injuries. The pilot announced, once the plane leveled out, that we had just experienced wind shear and the flight attendants would be handing out free drinks once we reached cruising altitude.

I hope they have stronger latches on the bins now as a wheeled carryon could kill someone. :eek:

Birder22

I wouldn't like to see someone seriously hurt or killed. but bring on the drinks!:D

Some people get ALL the excitement!;)

I'd like to see this happen...the cabin attendent help....I guess you haven't been on Canada's largest airline before. The attendents are not helpful.

Lorene--I get the feeling that you are not a big fan of the People's Airline. :rolleyes:

Some article I read said that instead of charging to check an extra bag, the airlines should start charging to bring any carry on, I agree with that. Think of how easy it would be to board & deplane if we did not have to stand in line while everyone removes all their carryon from the overhead bins! it would be a breeze.

It's true that individual TSA sites can interpret the rules as they see fit.I recently emailed the TSA web site about carrying on board a remote gate opener which I was taking to my dad for Father's Day. It was not listed on either the approved or non-approved items lists.

The email back to me said local TSA screeners can interpret how they want based on local circumstances. So I mailed the item not wanting to have it confiscated and lose the $45.00 cost.

Barbara

Your tax dollars at work! :eek:

Think of how easy it would be to board & deplane if we did not have to stand in line while everyone removes all their carryon from the overhead bins! it would be a breeze.
Indeed it would. But there are some things that should never be checked, including valuables and medicines.

...have to rethink including our "cruising" microwave in our carry-on luggage. I suppose we could do without afternoon popcorn and warmed towels.

Golly gee, what next?

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Lorene--I get the feeling that you are not a big fan of the People's Airline. :rolleyes:

And her I thought I was hiding it so well:D . I'll be lucky to get on my flight to Vegas after all the nice things I've said about them:eek: .

The pilot announced, once the plane leveled out, that we had just experienced wind shear and the flight attendants would be handing out free drinks once we reached cruising altitude.

I hope they have stronger latches on the bins now as a wheeled carryon could kill someone. :eek:

Thank God no one was injured, because they easily could have been. That's why people shouldn't be allowed to cram stuff into the overhead bins ... there is too much possibility that the latches may appear to be locked, when in fact they are not because of too much stuff in too small a space.

Well, at least you all got free drinks. Somehow I don't think you'd see that today. What did someone else say she got after a long wait on the tarmac? The "opportunity" to buy either an oatmeal cookie or a Milky Way Bar for $3.00? :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived