Explorer of the Seas -- Secrets ??

If you happen to be on EOS when it comes in late you will have a fabulous view of NY harbor. We were on one of the cruises delayed by a passenger that had to be taken off and we got into NJ late morning. In addition to the view going under the bridge, the ship practically cruised up to the Statue of Liberty and then swung around. It does not do this on the way out.

It might be worth checking the sunrise time on your EOS cruise. This would be well worth getting up early for. Has anyone done this?

Or I could just stay up all night.:D

Why is the helipad forward on these ships? That makes little sense.

I guess you think of a forward moving ship and picture a helicopter landing.

Helicopters would normal avoid landing on ships as they (the ships) rarely stay in the same place when at sea. Normal you would lower a wire with "something" to often get a person back to the helicopter.

If a Helicopter need to land on a "small" helipad, the ship would try to lay as still as possible and because of that I think the desicion of placing the helipad is more design than practical issues :)

Fred, the pools are saltwater. Hey my friend, your memory is getting as rusty as mine! Ahaha.

#17407 June 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM

derf5585

10,000+ Club Join Date: Dec 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the pools fresh or salt water?

derf5585

View Public Profile

Visit derf5585's homepage!

Find all posts by derf5585

Add derf5585 to Your Buddy List

#17408 June 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM

aqhacruiser

10,000+ Club Join Date: Jul 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf5585

Are the pools fresh or salt water?

Salt

The thread is long and there is a lot of banter but if you go there and ask a question you are very likely to get an answer, with correct information, in a very short period of time. And..... NO ONE is likely to say that the question has been asked and answered before so why don't you go do a search....

This is very true and as I said, they are very nice over there. I just feel the "all things" threads should be more of a database than a thread. This is to the people who run cruise critic, not the people who are on that thread or use it.

I didn't mean to put anyone aside, not the person I responded to nor anyone else. I just was saying to search that thread is not how i'd go about it. But yes, the people there know almost everything you could possibly want to ask and will tell you.

I agree, the All things Explorer thread is helpful but a lot of it is chat that doesn't apply to my upcoming cruise to Canada. So I'm glad Funcouple started this thread.

Ditto! I'm enjoying this thread as, I too, am learning information for our upcoming NE/Canada cruise! :) Thanks to all for their tips & secrets!

Are you talking about the see thru Mens Room? Sometimes I create a "Water Fall" all by myself. I got to check out all the Womans Rooms to see if any of them are intesting. (Maam I was just checking out the decorations.)

Hmmmm, never heard it called the 'see thru' mens room, hehe.

( btw.....A little TMI there about 'your' waterfall! lol)

I checked all the womens rooms, none have a water fall wall or a see thru something.....:rolleyes: :p :eek:

OKAY, we;re off on Explorer in 3 days, our 3rd journey on her. What have I missed....??

What are some of your favorite secrets about the ship?

such as:

- Staff

- Fun places

- Fun events

- Great spot for a drink

- Entertainment

- Secret spot for special food

Or -- whatever you can think of. Thanks.

Hmm "secrets", I don't know any. Real secrets anyway. We know about the pizza, the hot tubs, the fun events such as the Love nd Marriage game, the Quest, the Peek-a-Boo Bridge, but I do not consider those secrets. I hope someone does post some "secrets", we will be on the ship in a few weeks. But then if they post them, it won't be a "secret" anymore.

Have a great time on the cruise.

Annieeee

do you have to get tickets for ice skating early on the day you want to skate or at the beginning of the cuise for whatever day you want to skate?

The tickets are for the ICE SHOW.

FREE SKATING is scheduled at designated times throughout the cruise and it's listed in the daily activities (the Compass). NO tickets necessary. Just show up -- sign a waiver and get your skates.

We got our SHOW tickets early as they were being distributed on the promenade at an announced time on either day 1 or day 2.

When we arrived at studio B for the show, there was a long line waiting to get in (everyone with tickets in hands), however we noticed that the seating was only about 3/4 filled at the most. We did the 3pm show.

FREE SKATING is scheduled at designated times throughout the cruise and it's listed in the daily activities (the Compass). NO tickets necessary. Just show up -- sign a waiver and get your skates.

If it already hasn't been addressed, be sure to bring pants to wear when skating...all guests must wear pants that are at least calf-length to be able to skate. :)

The pool bars are crazy busy during days at sea or during poolside events. Long lines -- long wait times.

If U can remember -- get your first drink on the way to the pool from one of the other bars.

I'm sure that if you "tip well" one of the poolside waiters then they will remember to come back to you often while your sunning in the longe chairs.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/73887688/html/73887688FR.html

I know it's been around, but I refer to this for Voyager Class pictures frequently.

Ask your waiter at dinner if they have any Royal Caribbean cookbooks available. It took me 3 cruises (they were always out) but I did buy one last cruise in May. It's a great keepsake and I had our fun maitre d' sign it.

On Explorer of the Seas specifically, they have an oceanographic lab on board (with Univ. of Miami I think). You may be able to tour it....not sure.

Also, if you've never been to NYC - fly in a day or two early (it's cheaper to stay on the NJ side) and go to the Ground Zero sight. You won't regret it.

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't planning on bringing pants (other than dress pants for dinner). Would have been a little bummed if I couldn't skate because of that.

If it already hasn't been addressed, be sure to bring pants to wear when skating...all guests must wear pants that are at least calf-length to be able to skate. :)

I'm glad Barb C mentioned this, because it's fascinating and I don't believe there's anything like it on any other ship. Tours are given several times (and listed in the Compass); you can sign up in the library. There are actually two labs, one on Deck 1 for water sampling, and the other is at the pinnacle over the spa. Well worth your time.

I also concur about Dizzy's Lounge on Deck 13. It's never busy, and I don't know why. It has nice music, beautiful decor, the panoramic floor-to-ceiling view, and an indescribable but amazing kinetic golf ball sculpture you will want to spend some time figuring out.

My final pick would be the library windows overlooking the Promenade. It's quiet, the chairs are comfy, and you have the perfect vantage point for people watching and enjoying the wonderful sculpture, Canticle to a Blue Planet.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/73887688/html/73887688FR.html

I know it's been around, but I refer to this for Voyager Class pictures frequently.

Ask your waiter at dinner if they have any Royal Caribbean cookbooks available. It took me 3 cruises (they were always out) but I did buy one last cruise in May. It's a great keepsake and I had our fun maitre d' sign it.

On Explorer of the Seas specifically, they have an oceanographic lab on board (with Univ. of Miami I think). You may be able to tour it....not sure.

Also, if you've never been to NYC - fly in a day or two early (it's cheaper to stay on the NJ side) and go to the Ground Zero sight. You won't regret it.

Alas, the oceanographic lab is no more. I met a lady who was on the ship from the Univ. of Miami to work in the lab and she said she was getting laid off because they were closing the lab. She had gotten on in PR, gone up and back to NY and was getting off again in PR. RCL had found her an inside cabin on deck 2. Otherwise, she would have been in the crew quarters. But she was having a great time - she could set her own hours and take advantage of all the ports as well as the ship.

I had heard they closed it as well. We didn’t get around to do it the first time out, so we were glad we did it the second, or I wouldn’t have known what I was missing.

It was alright, but I found I wouldn’t have missed much.

The CURRENT chart was cool.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Why is the helipad forward on these ships? That makes little sense.

my guess is when they designed the ship they felt this was the best place for it. also its easy to close off the area in the event a helicopter needs to land and its safer then up on deck. where would you put it?

If EOS is anything like her sisters, AOS and MOS, there is a staircase forward on deck 4 that looks unmarked like it might be "crew only". Take those stairs and you will find yourself on the helipad. Unless it's really windy, anyone can go up there. Especially romantic at night. Because it is below and forward of the bridge, it's not lit up, so the crew can see at night. However, everyone on the bridge can still see you down below so don't let your romancing get out of hand. LOL! :p

the best way to get there is to go thru maharajas (front of the ship on the promenade) and go out the doors there and walk foward, then go down the stairs then up the short flight of steps to the helipad. have fun

Archived