vaccinations in Western Caribbean?

rphgf

I was at the pediatrician yesterday and mentioned that we were going on a western caribbean cruise. He urged me to find out what vaccinations were needed. I looked up Belize on the CDC site and there is a lot on info on malaria, dengue fever, hepatitis etc. Does anyone know what is generally recommended for cruise ship passengers?

thanks in advance

Cruise ship passengers aren't required to have any vaccinations for such short trips to the Caribbean. If you were to STAY on one of the islands (or ports) for extended amounts of time, and were "roughing it" in the wild, then you should get innoculated. But, for 5 or 6 hours in relatively "civilized" areas, none are needed.

Of course, if you have a suppressed immune system, or some other health problem, you should check with your doctor. But for normal, healthy people, you won't encounter any of the above while you're being a "cruise tourist".

I was at the pediatrician yesterday and mentioned that we were going on a western caribbean cruise. He urged me to find out what vaccinations were needed. I looked up Belize on the CDC site and there is a lot on info on malaria, dengue fever, hepatitis etc. Does anyone know what is generally recommended for cruise ship passengers?

thanks in advance

When we went to Mexico a few years ago, my doctor urged only Hepatitis vaccine. Your kids should be up to date on those anyway, I would expect.

Thanks for the info. This is my first cruise and I thought maybe everyone knew something that I didn't. I will not worry about it.

By the way, when the doctor mentioned the hepatitis, I said at least the kids would be ok but he said, no, they had the hep B vaccine and not the hep A (or vice versa, I forget) Either way, I am just going to get some good bug spray and the day in Belize when we do the jungle survival adventure I will just load up.

I just have to say, I am getting so excited! Only 2 more weeks.

The thing with Hep A is that it is easily transmitted. At this point its a little late to get the vaccine. It takes 2 weeks before its active in your system. I would say just to be safe, don't eat off the ship if you can help it at all and keep some anti-bacterial hand sanitizer with you EVERYWHERE. Washing hands in local water (even salt water) could be a transmitter more than a preventative measure.

The bug spray is a good idea, but in many countries the food sanitation requirements aren't as good or heavily enforced so just be a little more cautious than you would at home.

Good luck and good luck!

Archived