Fuel Supplement Run Around Again

Just ended a very long call to Royal Caribbean re: fuel supplements. I originally booked using a Next Cruise and 2 friends and family certificates. They all have different fuel supplements. Go figure. But what got my goat is this. I made changes on 5/21 for 3 reservations. The original Next cruise was booked on 11/16/07 on board LOS. It has no fuel supplement at all. The 1st friends and family had the original FS of $7 pp per day for $70 total which was originally booked on 4/8/08. I made changes on 5/21/08 and they e-mailed me my new Booked Confirmation Invoice and it clearly shows $35 pp. I went into the booking today to make a payment and the bill was up by $63 to $133 FS. Increased to the 5/1/08 FS of $8 and $3 per day. Booking is for 3. RCCI went in after the fact and changed my fuel supplement. I understand the fuel crisis and would have been fine if they would have told me on 5/21 that it was changing and if they could have invoiced me on 5/21 correctly. Sometime in early June they went into my booking and uped my fuel surchargeto the 5/1/08 charges. I think that on 5/21 everyone should have been up to speed to tell me I would have new fuel charges and the IT dept should have been able to have their end worked out too. But instead they were sneaky and went it after my 5/21/08 invoice was printed and changed it to new prices.

I was polite but I wanted that $63 back even with OBC and 4 people told me no. They did say I could switch back to the original cabin category EI etc and have the old fuel charge. Of course I don't want that, I have a better room now(JS aft) Fuel surcharges are a reality but they really should have better policies and procedures. I have 4 bookings for over $10k and they don't care about the $10k or the $63.

BEWARE- They told me they have a department looking at all the reservations and if you made changes after 5/1 to existing bookings. They're going to revise your fuel supplement. So you better go in and make your changes before 6/30/08 when it goes up again.

P.S. I wonder when they'll find the original Next cruise booking # without a fuel supplement and change it too. Hopefully before 6/30. I was going to tell them but now that was before they denied me my $63 they can go looking for that $70 or $112 or $140 or whatever they'll charge me when they find it.

Just ended a very long call to Royal Caribbean re: fuel supplements. I originally booked using a Next Cruise and 2 friends and family certificates. They all have different fuel supplements. Go figure. But what got my goat is this. I made changes on 5/21 for 3 reservations. The original Next cruise was booked on 11/16/07 on board LOS. It has no fuel supplement at all. The 1st friends and family had the original FS of $7 pp per day for $70 total which was originally booked on 4/8/08. I made changes on 5/21/08 and they e-mailed me my new Booked Confirmation Invoice and it clearly shows $35 pp. I went into the booking today to make a payment and the bill was up by $63 to $133 FS. Increased to the 5/1/08 FS of $8 and $3 per day. Booking is for 3. RCCI went in after the fact and changed my fuel supplement. I understand the fuel crisis and would have been fine if they would have told me on 5/21 that it was changing and if they could have invoiced me on 5/21 correctly. Sometime in early June they went into my booking and uped my fuel surchargeto the 5/1/08 charges. I think that on 5/21 everyone should have been up to speed to tell me I would have new fuel charges and the IT dept should have been able to have their end worked out too. But instead they were sneaky and went it after my 5/21/08 invoice was printed and changed it to new prices.

I was polite but I wanted that $63 back even with OBC and 4 people told me no. They did say I could switch back to the original cabin category EI etc and have the old fuel charge. Of course I don't want that, I have a better room now(JS aft) Fuel surcharges are a reality but they really should have better policies and procedures. I have 4 bookings for over $10k and they don't care about the $10k or the $63.

BEWARE- They told me they have a department looking at all the reservations and if you made changes after 5/1 to existing bookings. They're going to revise your fuel supplement. So you better go in and make your changes before 6/30/08 when it goes up again.

P.S. I wonder when they'll find the original Next cruise booking # without a fuel supplement and change it too. Hopefully before 6/30. I was going to tell them but now that was before they denied me my $63 they can go looking for that $70 or $112 or $140 or whatever they'll charge me when they find it.

I always knew that the FS charges would increase with gas prices rising on a daily basis, but will the increase affect previously booked cruises???? We have already booked and paid in full the Serenade in November and have booked the Independence for Feb 09, but that one is not paid in full.

I always knew that the FS charges would increase with gas prices rising on a daily basis' date=' but will the increase affect previously booked cruises???? We have already booked and paid in full the Serenade in November and have booked the Independence for Feb 09, but that one is not paid in full.[/color']

So long as you have a deposit down and do not make changes to the reservation it is unlikely you will have to pay the higher fuel surcharges. Some people are finding that when they change to a different cabin they are charged the higher fuel surcharge.

... I made changes on 5/21 for 3 reservations. T....I made changes on 5/21/08 and they e-mailed me my new Booked Confirmation Invoice and it clearly shows $35 pp. I went into the booking today to make a payment and the bill was up by $63 to $133 FS. Increased to the 5/1/08 FS of $8 and $3 per day. Booking is for 3. But instead they were sneaky and went it after my 5/21/08 invoice was printed and changed it to new prices....

..... They did say I could switch back to the original cabin category EI etc and have the old fuel charge. Of course I don't want that, I have a better room now(JS aft) Fuel surcharges are a reality but they really should have better policies and procedures. I have 4 bookings for over $10k and they don't care about the $10k or the $63.

Its pretty much the same on all cruise lines you make a change and the fuel surcharge you will be charged is as of the date of the change. they offered to allow you to revert to the old reservation at the old surcharge. Its your choice you want the better room but not the current price.....

It makes sense to me that if you change your cabin category that you will need to pay the current fuel charge. I don't expect RCI to grandfather in the fuel surcharge for me. I have a next cruise booking still to use and I fully expect to pay the going rate of the fuel charge that is in effect when I apply the NC certificate to a cruise. I got a price drop on a current reservation that I have and the fuel charge was adjusted to the current rate and this again made perfect sense to me. This is normal costs of doing business in my book.

NEW FUEL CHARGES JUNE 30 FROM RCCL WEBSITE!

As of June 30, 2008

As a result of ongoing record high fuel prices, bookings made on or after June 30, 2008, will be subject to a revised fuel supplement. The revised fuel supplement will apply to bookings made throughout the world on Royal Caribbean International.

For bookings made in United States and Canada:

For first and second guests in a stateroom, the fuel supplement will be $10 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $140 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $5 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per day, and no more than $70 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise.

For bookings made in Europe, the Middle East and Africa:

For the purpose for converting certain European currencies, the amount of the fuel supplement for first and second guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-day - appears in the left-hand column of the table below. The maximum amount of the fuel supplement for first and second guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-sailing – appears in the right-hand column.

Fuel supplement for first and second guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-day

Maximum for first and second guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-sailing

GBP 5.00

GBP 70.00

EUR 6.50

EUR 91.00

USD 10.00

USD 140.00

CHF 10.00

CHF 140.00

DKK 48.00

DKK 672.00

SEK 60.00

SEK 840.00

NOK 52.00

NOK 728.00

Similarly, for the purpose for converting certain European currencies, the amount of the fuel supplement for additional guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-day - appears in the left-hand column of the table below. The maximum amount of the fuel supplement for additional guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-sailing - appears in the right-hand column.

Fuel supplement for additional guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-day

Maximum for additional guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-sailing

GBP 2.50

GBP 35.00

EUR 3.00

EUR 42.00

USD 5.00

USD 70.00

CHF 5.00

CHF 70.00

DKK 24.00

DKK 336.00

SEK 30.00

SEK 420.00

NOK 26.00

NOK 364.00

For bookings made in Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Asia-Pacific region:

For first and second guests in a stateroom, the fuel supplement will be $10 (U.S.D.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $140 (U.S.D.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $5 (U.S.D.) per-person, per day, and no more than $70 (U.S.D.) per-person, per-cruise. [1]

Travel Agents are encouraged to visit the CruisingPower.com.website for further details and information on how the fuel supplement applies to group bookings.

The fuel supplement will assist our company in offsetting the widespread increases in fuel prices that have more than doubled in recent years. The fuel supplement will be periodically reviewed, with the intent of being temporary, and may be adjusted as fuel prices fluctuate.

We thank our guests for understanding our need to implement this fuel supplement. We have gone to great lengths to minimize the impact of rising fuel costs. Unfortunately, as fuel prices have reached record highs, we are forced to take this extraordinary step to offset our record costs and to remain competitive within our industry.

[1] The fuel supplement is subject to government approval, where applicable.

Even if you change your booking the original booking date does not change unless you cancel and start over. I have changed 2 different bookings multiple times and they have not changed the Fuel surcharge. Also if that is the case then they have to honor the coupons that were sent but had to be used only for new bookings between certain dates. They don't do that if you change a booking. I really do not think they are going to waste their time trying to collect for changed reservations. Sorry I have a itemized bill which shows a specific charge, do not think they can change that. They already got in trouble once for this I do not think they will try again.

Even if you change your booking the original booking date does not change unless you cancel and start over. I have changed 2 different bookings multiple times and they have not changed the Fuel surcharge. Also if that is the case then they have to honor the coupons that were sent but had to be used only for new bookings between certain dates. They don't do that if you change a booking. I really do not think they are going to waste their time trying to collect for changed reservations. Sorry I have a itemized bill which shows a specific charge, do not think they can change that. They already got in trouble once for this I do not think they will try again.

I have all original booking #'s. No #'s were changed, only cabins, dates etc. I never cancelled and started over. I wanted my OBC that comes with Next cruises. The original booking date was 4/8/08 when I converted the Next cruise and booked 2 more cabins. Like I said, I made the last change on 5/21 upgrade to a JS and they hit my invoice sometime in June with the current fuel charges. No invoice sent, no explantion. My May 21 confirmation for the JS uprgrade clearly shows the $35 pp 1st & 2nd. Since they were already in trouble for this once maybe it'll work out in the end. However, I am going to Investor Relations now. It's principal at this point.

That said I am still looking forward to the cruise and said many times before, don't let one thing cloud your entire view.

I would never cancel a cruise due to the fuel surcharges. I also won't quit eating food, as the prices rise daily at the grocery store. We lived in German 25 yrs. ago and gas was over $3 then and they make it. In Europe I read it is over $8 gal. My priority is to save for my cruise each year, I won't give it up.

We changed a room #.... kept same booking #, eveything else the same.... That prompted a change in the fuel supplement... from $5 to $8.... it happens.... we did not complain... figured not worth arguing

I had the same thing happen..................Booked the SS in May....(for 4th of July)........paid $379PP..........watched fares and saw it dropped to $339 PP.......called and got $80 back on my cc..... My revised booking confirmation I got says -$80 on balance due.

I saw a better cabin in the same category and moved right after I got that booking confirmation.............

BUT now if I look at My cruises on the website ,it says I owe $18......

I received my docs already.........

I dont think its right.....so do I just show up at the pier with all my proof or try to call(I know how that can go:rolleyes: )

I would never cancel a cruise due to the fuel surcharges. I also won't quit eating food, as the prices rise daily at the grocery store. We lived in German 25 yrs. ago and gas was over $3 then and they make it. In Europe I read it is over $8 gal. My priority is to save for my cruise each year, I won't give it up.

No people won't stop eating because of the price of food, but they will change what they eat. Already I am hearing reports of bottle water sales way down, people going back to tap water. And although many of us die hard cruisers will cruise for as long as we can. Many people on tighter budgets will get to the point were adding an additional $200 for fuel charges will break their banks........................... and this may have an impact on the cruising industry...........

So long as you have a deposit down and do not make changes to the reservation it is unlikely you will have to pay the higher fuel surcharges. Some people are finding that when they change to a different cabin they are charged the higher fuel surcharge.

Keerect! Changes are considered a new booking...ergo, current fuel charges will be applied.

Fuel cost and fuel supplements are going to damage a lot of businesses including cruise lines as people start canceling bookings due to rising costs. Hopefully all will survive!!!

This is getting absurd. The price of gas has gone up what, a little over a dollar over the past year, but the fuel surchage goes up 4 dollars a person every other month?

Well I don't know why but each time I changed I specifically asked about the fuel surcharge and the agent made sure it stayed the same. They said it is based on when the original booking occurred not changes. Maybe you just need to call and get it straightened out? Also did you get an updated invoice to your email with the lower surcharge? If you are seeing the higher one online I am not sure I would be too concerned I have heard they have been having all kinds of issues with their website. Also if you did get an updated invoice with the lower surcharge I do not see how they can argue with that. I believe they have to accept what you were emailed.

This is getting absurd. The price of gas has gone up what, a little over a dollar over the past year, but the fuel surchage goes up 4 dollars a person every other month?

What is so aburd about it. Gas has nothing to do with the bunker oil that ships use.

Last year it cost about $454,000 to run a voyager class ship for a week. It will use about 3000 gallons an hour, and bunker oil last year cost about $370 per metric tonne which was about 400 gallons, or $.90 per gallon.

Today it costs about $856,000 per week, or $675 per metric tonne, or about $1.70 per gallon.

So even at a fuel surcharge of even 10$ per person per day, and not everyone on the ship pays, maybe say 2000 people on a voyager class, that is what, $140,000, who is paying the other $250,000. It is pretty obvious that as long as oil keeps rising, so will surcharges.

When I wanted to change cabins on a booking made before 5/1/08 I specifically asked my TA about an increase in the fs. She called RCL and got back to me with the info that as long as I didn't change ships or sail dates the fs would remain the same. I have a copy of the new invoice that RCL faxed to her (with my new cabin #, which BTW was a different category...E3 to an E2) and I am still seeing the old fs of $35 pp (7 night cruise). The change was made after 5/1/08.

I wonder if each RCCL reservation agent can make their own rules. It seems to be different people are getting different answers. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. "the more $$ you bring in, the better bonus you'll get"

I actually changed ships and dates and still did not have any change in supplement. I think the problem is there system. When they make a change I believe it automatically tries to adjust the fs, they need to manually make it what it was. No where on the website does it say the FS will change if you change a booking, it says make a booking. To me Make a Booking is the original booking date.

• 2 weeks later...

Yippy- Just went into our reservations and they fixed it back to the original surcharge of $35 pp 1st and 2nd. I sent a letter to investor relations and asked them to either explain or fix and they fixed. Don't know if I'll get a letter explaining but I'll post if I do.

I've never been so happy to pay for gas...

P.S. Thanks RCCL, if your looking.

p.s. So glad they fixed it because my little group wants to start planning a B2B on Oasis for summer 2010, we are so excited to keep booking,keep planning and paying for gas at the correct surcharge.

a different look at fuel costs

RCL is a public company so you can see many of their costs

in 2005, for the first three months of the year, fuel costs were 8% of ticket sales

in 2006 it was 13%

in 2007 it jumped to 13%

this year it was 15%

so let's say the average ticket price was $800 per person

fuel cost was $120 compared to $104 last year and $64 two years ago

the difference year over year was only $16

so if you play $8 a day for a week that is $56

based on those numbers the cruise line is actually making a nice profit off the fuel surcharge

interesting that food costs have stayed at 8% of the ticket price for the last 5 years

finally the amount they spend on marketing, selling and commission expense, and administration costs are about the same as the entire amount they spend on food and fuel combined

so let's not cry for the cruise lines, they are still making a bundle and even more using fuel as an excuse to jack up what we pay

we just booked our 24th cruise for December (heck, we have been back two weeks from our last one) so we will always go to sea

but understand the games many companies play using fuel costs as an excuse

Bluefin-

I agree, it's a money maker. In my business, Just this month, Trash pick up once a week for dumpster went from $135 to $165 monthly. We're on a route with everyone else thats commercial but that's still 22% for everybody. I'm not sure what to do for long run because all of our suppliers are imposing fuel charges like these. But... I know my vacation starts again in less than 160 days and now I need it. I just want fair policies and if we stand up to these charges, possibly they could be just a cost of doing business and not a profit center.

We had a different thing happen just a few days ago.

I wanted to switch a cruise that was booked and paid in full long before the fuel surcharge, so there was none on the booking. I also had a gift certificate I redeemed as an OBC.

I found the same itinerary on a different ship for almost $1,000 less, so told my TA to cancel and transfer the money to the new one.

What the RCCL rep did was to keep the SAME booking number, and switch the ship and date to the new one. She said it was easier with the gift certificate, etc.

We did not get charged the fuel surcharge on the new cruise, and probably because the booking number stayed the same.

We'll see if it changes in the future.

Archived