"Business" attire

Sue's Mom

Our boarding cards arrived yesterday for our tour and lunch on the Eurodam at the end of the month. The dress is said to be "business". Now I know what that means - to me - but others may have different ideas. So please, what is your interpretation? I would be so embarrassed if we got it wrong! :eek:

Dress nicely, not cut offs and tank tops. A dress, or slax and a nice top/sweater. As one cruise line calls it "smart casual". Good luck and enjoy the tour. Where is it being held?

Gents in a tie and jacket or suit and tie; ladies in a skirt/slax suit or dress pants with nice top or business appropriate dress.

Sail----I absolutely agree with your assessment of what constitutes "business attire".

It is really a much younger crowd that seems to have a problem with the term "business attire". Some of them don't seem to realize that one dresses a little differently for a job interview than for a date.

Most of the folks on this board know how dressing for the office differs from a day at the beach. It has been our experience that our fellow passengers on HAL are almost always appropriately and smartly attired. They know how to wear clothing that is age appropriate and that fits the occasion. And may I say, very, very attractive.:D

It is really a much younger crowd that seems to have a problem with the term "business attire". Some of them don't seem to realize that one dresses a little differently for a job interview than for a date.

Most of the folks on this board know how dressing for the office differs from a day at the beach. It has been our experience that our fellow passengers on HAL are almost always appropriately and smartly attired. They know how to wear clothing that is age appropriate and that fits the occasion. And may I say, very, very attractive.:D

Very well said!!

Our invitations to have lunch and tour the Eurodam next week in Southampton arrived this morning. As posted above the invitations say "business", but the letter from our TA said "elegantly casual" which I thought was an interesting choice of words. Anything with the word 'casual' in it sounds quite different to 'business' to me. (I have always thought the phrase 'smart casual' was rather a contradiction.) Anyway we're planning to go the smart route ie light suit and tie for DH and dress and jacket (or perhaps trouser suit if it is cold and wet) for me. We are excited about having the chance to look round before boarding on 2nd July in Rotterdam for the Prelude cruise. Fortunately we live quite close to Southampton and they are providing free parking at the pier so we can drive right to the ship. Just looking forward to hearing that the ship has docked safely in Southampton and hoping for good weather next Friday!

Isn't that the truth! These days, "business attire" doesn't convey what it once did. Neither does "Sunday best." I like "elegantly casual." Used to be you could say "Country club casual," but again many of today's younger crowd have never been in a country club.

Gents in a tie and jacket or suit and tie; ladies in a skirt/slax suit or dress pants with nice top or business appropriate dress.

I would agree. "Business attire" is different from "business casual", (where for a guy would mean a callered shirt and slacks.)

So very true. I am always amazed at what women wear to work in Calgary. We have a pretty strict dress code in my office and still I can't believe what some people come to work in:rolleyes: .

Our invitations to have lunch and tour the Eurodam next week in Southampton arrived this morning. As posted above the invitations say "business", but the letter from our TA said "elegantly casual" which I thought was an interesting choice of words. Anything with the word 'casual' in it sounds quite different to 'business' to me. (I have always thought the phrase 'smart casual' was rather a contradiction.) Anyway we're planning to go the smart route ie light suit and tie for DH and dress and jacket (or perhaps trouser suit if it is cold and wet) for me. We are excited about having the chance to look round before boarding on 2nd July in Rotterdam for the Prelude cruise. Fortunately we live quite close to Southampton and they are providing free parking at the pier so we can drive right to the ship. Just looking forward to hearing that the ship has docked safely in Southampton and hoping for good weather next Friday!

Seeing as your host is HAL, I would respect their stated dress code above the TA. TA does not know better than the people running the party and seems out of line to me to contradict the host's description of what is expected.

Have a great time!!!

Archived