Feeding fish dog food???

twinkle toes

Like people don't have enough to pack already? Dog food? It's really not a good idea to be feeding the fish anywhere.

That being said... Cheeze whiz works well or just grab some crackers (or bread) from the dining room.

:) :) Actually you upset the whole ecosystem when you do this sort of thing. People do it, but then complain that the fish population is going down, the coral is dying etc. Keep the oceans clean for everyone and the fish will find their own food.

B.

Gee, you folks have been very helpful, NOT.

An honest question, you have to be unhelpful.

How helpful do you think people should be when they're being asked about something that shouldn't be done? That's like asking for help to rob a bank and getting po'd when everyone says no!

Ok folks I just wanted to let you know that feeding fish dog food IS NOT BAD!!! We do it all the time. We have an 1/2 acre pond and its recommended to feed them dog food if you don't have fish food. No harm at all. check for yourself dog food is just as good as fish food. You should see our lg. mouth bass in our pond. Thems some good eatin fish!!!:D As for the yuk part what do you really thinks in the water when there are a lot of people in it.!!

Ok folks I just wanted to let you know that feeding fish dog food IS NOT BAD!!! We do it all the time. We have an 1/2 acre pond and its recommended to feed them dog food if you don't have fish food. No harm at all. check for yourself dog food is just as good as fish food. .!!

Dont expect anyone to listen to you. btw there is a beach in St. Thomas that for $10 gives you snorkeling equipment and very large dog bones to feed the fish and will give you more if you want them. You dont bring your own dog food. Its dog bones they feed them, not dog food. Its called Koki Beach.

People on CC will claim to be fish experts and get all excited if you say you feed the fish dog bones there.

btw Koki Beach is known as the cleanest, clearest water in St. Thomas and the best for snorkeling.

Ok folks I just wanted to let you know that feeding fish dog food IS NOT BAD!!! We do it all the time. We have an 1/2 acre pond and its recommended to feed them dog food if you don't have fish food. No harm at all. check for yourself dog food is just as good as fish food. You should see our lg. mouth bass in our pond. Thems some good eatin fish!!!:D As for the yuk part what do you really thinks in the water when there are a lot of people in it.!!

There is a big difference between a muddy pond and fish that live in salt water around corals where their ecosystem is very sensitive.

Last time I heard, catfish will eat just about anything.

Gee, you folks have been very helpful, NOT.

An honest question, you have to be unhelpful.

Why, because you did not get the answer you wanted? People gave you honest answers to your honest question.

It is not Burger King. You cannot have it your way. :D

I have read on other posts that people bring dog food with them to feed fish when on islands. What fish do you feed in the water and what kind of dog food is it?

I have never brought anything but have been given hard dog bisquits by tour operators at several stops :)

Some of these replies are hilarious! ANy hoo... I have snorkeled with groups where they use the hard dog bones (biscuits), my hubby even had a bird drop one on him as he relaxed in a beach chair on Coki Beach! So I guess it can be dangerous! Have fun and DON'T FEED THE FISH! Ha Ha :D

I have read on other posts that people bring dog food with them to feed fish when on islands. What fish do you feed in the water and what kind of dog food is it?

To the OP's original point, the locals take various foods and either give it to you or throw it around you to bring the fish around you. A friend of mine was on a stingray tour and they did throw food to draw them near here. Dog bones are also used as pointed out. I wouldn't bother bringing any and just get some from the locals. I pack enough stuff and sure won't add dog biscuits to my list.

I do believe the responses regarding the eco system etc. were a bit out of line. A biodegradeable item in the sea isn't going to destroy the world anyway. There is sure a lot of other things more important to worry about other than that. The OP's question was a legitimate one and a lot of the responses did not provide with any insight other than standing on a soapbox......

You know I do know what I'm talking about i do know a few things about muddy pond fish and live salt water fish!!! If you want to get in water with catfish that will eat anything go ahead its your life!! But I wasn't talking about CATFISH!!!! And yes they do eat dog food there is no difference. The only thing your right about is the coral!! But don't think just because you think its disgusting that I'm wrong. And besides firefly333 you responded to my post and so did others so I'm not wrong just like your not right!!!

I prefer cat food as it is made from sealife and seems to attract more edible species to you.Mostly members of the snapper, grunt,grouper and chub families.The bones other posters were talking about sound better to just feed them and keep you from getting messy.Good luck.

Why, because you did not get the answer you wanted? People gave you honest answers to your honest question.

It is not Burger King. You cannot have it your way. :D

Didn't ask the question.:p

Archived