Alaska transitional cruise, september '09, what to expect?

Catmomma

I cruised Alaska on a 7 day cruise out of Seattle in September 2007 and it was one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. We barely even had rain. Clear skies and gorgeous scenery really made the trip.

Now we are looking into a transitional cruise on the RCCL Serenade in Sept, 2009. I am curious if anyone here has done this cruise from Vancouver, up to Alaska, and down to San Diego (where I live) before? I am wondering since it is in late September if I am really taking a chance on the weather being nasty. Was I spoiled by a lucky week when we went in '07?

I like this cruise mainly because it is 2 weeks and it comes back to my home port so I only have to fly one way (I hate flying).

Anyone have any good or bad to say about the Alaska transitional cruises? Links to reviews? photos?

I am wondering the same thing! I am booked on the Serenade in September 2008 - 13 nights and ship docks in Los Angeles. (which is close to my home) I will let you know...

I have friends that went on the Radiance last year and loved it. Had great weather and no rough seas

Michelle

I haven't done a transitional cruise yet (am considering doing the Carnival Spirit from Vancouver to Hawaii in Sept. 10), but the reason I'm looking at the southbound transitional cruise rather than the northbound transitional in April or May is because living here, I know that we usually get far better weather in September than in April/May.

This year, for example, our weather in April and May was chilly and we had several wind storms. IMHO, you have a better chance of good weather in September.

I am wondering the same thing! I am booked on the Serenade in September 2008 - 13 nights and ship docks in Los Angeles. (which is close to my home) I will let you know...

I have friends that went on the Radiance last year and loved it. Had great weather and no rough seas

Michelle

We're on the same cruise this September. Although I signed up on the rollcall, I have not been active since I was busy with our most recent Baltics cruise. Now I'm ready to settle down and plan on port excursions, but the rollcall site is too bulky to navigate. Have you made specific plans yet? Any tips? One big disappointment is it is too late in the season to do a helicopter tour to glacier and mush the dogs. We did that on previous cruise, and it was FANTASTIC!!

luvncruising, please keep in touch after your trip, if you can remember. I would really like to hear what you think and how it goes!

I always do reviews after our cruises. I'll try to remember to post my review on this board as well as on the main review site.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the transitional Vancouver-Alaska-Los Angeles cruise aboard the Vision of the Seas in September '07...and loved it so much that we are doing it again aboard the Serenade this September!

The weather was...ok. It rained almost every day, but a light, very manageable rain. It was brisk, but not freezing. Just pack a good waterproof jacket (with a hood!) and you will be fine. We did plenty of outdoor activities in the rain, and it was never a problem.

(And by the way, Petesweet, I know what you mean about the Serenade roll call!)

I am sailing Serenade 20 Sept this year. We have booked

Sitka - Silver Bay Cruise of Hatchery and New Archangel Dancers

Skagway - Whitepass railway and bus trip to Yukon

Juneau - cruise to Tracey Arm and Mt Roberts Tram

Ketchikan - Alaska Lumberjack shoe and Saxman

Icy Straight - Bear bus tour

Seattle - Boeing Factory Tour

San Francisco - Muir Woods Tour

Can hardly wait

we are also booked on this cruise and agree with the roll call forum - way too long. we will probably not do the meet and mingle. but are so looking forward to our "cold" cruise - went on the adventure in april for our "hot" cruise.

Archived