Princess Travel Care Question

vie lee

Our agent has put Princess Travel Care on our invoice, but we made our own flight reseverations because we used SkyMiles. If we missed the ship because of the Airlines would that be covered by Princess. Our cruise is not until October and we have to fly from Utah to New York. I am really worried about the air part of our trip.

That is correct. If you book your air with Princess, your air is covered under the insurance. We usually do air through Princess unless the air deviation fee (which we do when booking Princess Air) is less, or around the same price, as our booking on our own.

........Our cruise is not until October and we have to fly from Utah to New York. I am really worried about the air part of our trip.

If you are not doing it.... suggest you consider flying in at least the day before.......given who knows what the airline situation and weather will be like in another four months.

We are flying in a day early, but I am still concerned about the airlines and our flight. What I am looking for is trip/cruise insurance that would cover my cost if the airlines went out of business at the last minute and I couldn't get to the port. I guess that might be hard to find in this economy.

Vie Lee

I would like to know more about how most insurance companies handle frequent flier flights too.

When we purchased CSA insurance thru our TA last year we were not able to insure the cost of the airline tickets -- Because they were "free" tickets, we were told they were considered to have no monetary value. I even asked if the insurance would cover the $100 fee to redeposit the points in the event I had to cancel & I was told no -- not covered.

Anyone else have experience with FF miles & trip protection/cancellation policies? Really curious about this because we frequently use ff miles.

Madonna

Our agent has put Princess Travel Care on our invoice, but we made our own flight reseverations because we used SkyMiles. If we missed the ship because of the Airlines would that be covered by Princess. Our cruise is not until October and we have to fly from Utah to New York. I am really worried about the air part of our trip.

You might not be covered for this situation.

Some cruise lines offer cancellation waiver insurance, which is not the same thing as trip cancellation or interruption insurance.

It is better to buy Travel Insurance from an independent company, getting the coverage you need.

... What I am looking for is trip/cruise insurance that would cover my cost if the airlines went out of business at the last minute and I couldn't get to the port...Vie Lee
You can add the cost of a last-minute ticket to your total trip cost and over-insure; I don't know if you would have to purchase a policy for your full trip cost or just the cost of the last-minute ticket, but you can purchase separate trip insurance. Steve at tripinsurancestore could tell you exactly. But you cannot cover your FF ticket, because it was a free ticket. See below for more info.

I would like to know more about how most insurance companies handle frequent flier flights too.
Short answer is you cannot get travel insurance for this. Travel insurance only covers pre-paid non-refundable costs. Since FF miles have no out-of-pocket costs (except perhaps taxes), they have little or no value to be insured. Some policies do cover the re-deposit fees if you included them in the total cost of the trip when you purchased the policy. Here is an excellent article from www.tripinsurancestore.com that explains it in more detail:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/3/frequent-flyer.shtml

When we have Princess Travel Care, we always buy another insurance to cover the flight, hotel and any pre- or post-cruise days.

We do the same thing. Amex has a good program for $10 per plane ticket charged on the card, covering hotel and flight. They have another $10 per plane ticket fee covering lost/ delayed luggage. We don't mind paying that little bit extra...

I think (just my opinion), I would give you a lot of peace of mind looking at the frequent frequent flyer web-sites, and the Delta web site. They should be able to address your question, and any others you may have.

I missed my plane the last time I bought a frequent flyer ticket (not going to meet a ship, I was going to Tulsa) through Delta. I had to pay $50.00, and they put me on the next available flight an hour later. Unfortunately, I had to go to Atlanta, then double back to Tulsa. But, I feel they took care of me.

I thought the amex tip was a good one. Thanks muffydawg for sharing that:) .

AC

Archived