Upgrade When We Check in

My Sister and I are taking our first cruise on the Vision of the Seas. Originally we thought we would be fine with an inside stateroom because we wouldn't be spending time in it anyways. After thinking about it for the past few months, we have both been thinking we should have gone for a nicer room with a view. Does anyone know if you can upgrade your room after you have paid and been assigned?

:confused:

between RCI and the passengers.

At one time it was easy and inexpensive. Then RCI figured us out. They now move passengers around with "upgrades" prior to sailing and then re-sell that lower catagory...Means they sail will a full ship.

Upgrade NOW!

Yes, you will get stories telling you they do it all the time and RCI always moves them from an inside cabin to the Presidential Suite...

If you buy that, I have this slightly used bridge in Brooklyn I can offer to you real cheap.

If the cost of upgrading now is too steep, then stick with your inside. Unless you have a balcony, the view from the window isn't much. It's mainly to let in natural light. If there is something with a balcony, then book that! It's worth the money!

We must have been very lucky. In March in Bayonne, we asked for the Pier Coordinator and took an upgrade from an inside to a Deluxe balcony near the center of the ship on deck 6. Loved the room and location. There were a few rooms available in higher categories. We were one of the first to check in.

Jan

I wouldn't worry about it. We manage to drag our sorry be-hinds back to our rooms late at night, just in time to go to bed. We're up at the crack of dawn and ready for our next day adventures. Granted, we've never gotten an outside room, but we've always been happy with an inside room.

I loved my balcony and would only sail with one from now on. Not only does it provide natural light and a breeze but some of the views are incredible. In my opinion, when you have an inside room you feel like you are being left out of the loop and everyone outside is having a great time without you, but with the balcony you are part of the action and never feel that you are missing something. That's just my take on it though : )

My take is that insides get you on! Save you money for other things. Anytime you want you can go to the biggest "balcony" on the ship... plus you don't have to worry about smoke stench filling your cabin from the smokers on their balconies. Plus I like the dark to sleep.

Now if I cruise Alaska/Europe I think balconies are a must because there is stuff to see! Carribean or Mexico mostly open ocean most of the time I'll spend the money elsewhere.

Actually, I feel the opposite. We take the suites and balcony cabins on the Caribbean itineraries and spend almost the whole day sitting and sunbathing on the balcony. We avoid the crowds by the pool and have a great feature -ie easily accessible toilet facilities right inside the cabin. In Europe, we spend almost all our time running around the ports and would not have much use for the balcony.

If you do decide to upgrade, check out the threada about fuel surcharges. They say that your surchare will go up to the current pricing if you make any changes to your resi reguardless of when you origanilly booked;)

Actually, we are cruising on the Mariner next month, and thanks to this forum, I found out about residency rate discounts and upgraded to a JS from a deluxe balcony stateroom and was not charged the increase in the fuel surcharge.

I loved my balcony and would only sail with one from now on. Not only does it provide natural light and a breeze but some of the views are incredible. In my opinion, when you have an inside room you feel like you are being left out of the loop and everyone outside is having a great time without you, but with the balcony you are part of the action and never feel that you are missing something. That's just my take on it though : )

I agree - totally. I was completely content with an inside cabin until about 10 years ago when I was upgraded to a balcony. That did it.

It's my little corner of the world....to get away from the noise, the drunks, the kids. I have coffee and croissants in the early morning watching the sea, I spend several hours out there in the afternoon sunbathing, reading or napping. I love to go out there during the midnight hours. How wonderful to open the curtains in the morning and step out in the fresh air!!!!

It's a wonderful place to observe ports and port activity too..and watch the sail-away.

I cruise solo (by choice) and pay a premium for the privilege. But, I'm not willing to forego my balcony to save the $$$$. It's part of my total cruise experience.

if there is room you can upgrade when you check in - i did that once during an xmas cruise...it cost an extra $1000 from inside to outside with balcony - not sure if that was a cheaper rate or not...they sometimes keep open rooms incase they need to upgrade/swap people due to problems with their room

That's what I think - a balcony will be a necessity this next cruise. I took the kids and got a OV as that was what I could afford. My SO was hesitant enough about a cruise, so I switched us to an aft balcony so he doesn't feel 'trapped'.

My SO is a bad sleeper and used to getting up very early - he can go out on the balcony if he wakes up. And he's not big on crowds and this trip is really about us getting away from the stresses of life and spending time together - we have everything right there - sun and sea, bed, bathroom, and room service.

Actually, I feel the opposite. We take the suites and balcony cabins on the Caribbean itineraries and spend almost the whole day sitting and sunbathing on the balcony. We avoid the crowds by the pool and have a great feature -ie easily accessible toilet facilities right inside the cabin. In Europe, we spend almost all our time running around the ports and would not have much use for the balcony.

You've heard several different opinions, all valid. For me, it comes down to money and what the higher level cabin is going for. If the difference is only a couple hundred PP, then the balcony is an easy choice. In 20 cruises, we've had a balcony only 3 times, an oceanview once, and all the rest were insides. It is usually OK with us because we save so much money. But you have to decide what's most important to you.

P.S. Sad to say, it's true that once you've had a balcony, it's hard to go back to an inside! Good luck

Wow,

Thanks for all the good advice. The cost difference now to get upgrade is now over $1K. I think we will save that money and spend it getting a massage or 2 and shopping! In the future if the cost difference is small we might go ahead and book the balcony. Maybe if I bring my 7year old son I will get a balcony.

Thanks again all!

Archived