More Airline Fees :(

US Airways to charge $2 for soda, juice, water

[/url]Better get used to carrying lots of singles next time you fly. US Airways is now terminating free drink service. No, not free mini bottles of Jim Beam and cheap Chardonnay, we're talking about all drinks, including soda, fruit juice, coffee, and bottled water, which will soon cost $2 each. Presumably tap water, which may or may not be contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria, will still be free.

The move is the latest way airlines are attempting to fight rapidly rising fuel prices in a disastrous economic climate. In recent months, the extra fees have come fast and furious. First came extra charges for your second piece of luggage, then came a charge for your first bag. That's not to mention extra fees for choosing your own seat, curbside check-in, booking using frequent flier miles, and the cost of the Santa Fe chicken sandwich.

The beverage fee is even more annoying than most, since you can no longer bring liquids through security at airports. You are really at the mercy of buying them on the plane, or at least buying them once you're in the terminal (which is doubtlessly no cheaper than on the plane). Alcoholic drinks will also go from $5 to $7. That's a lot for a can of Budweiser.

The fee goes into effect August 18, leaving plenty of time for the airlines to come up with other fees to nickel and dime their way to profitability. Can pay toilets be far behind?

Found here: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/95048

I hope that all airlines don't do this as well. I don't want gross, contaminated tap water. When we flew to Europe last year the planes were soo hot so we were always parched...and it was hard finding anyone to get you something to drink (even after pushing the button). This sucks!

US Airways to charge $2 for soda, juice, water

Better get used to carrying lots of singles next time you fly. US Airways is now terminating free drink service. No, not free mini bottles of Jim Beam and cheap Chardonnay, we're talking about all drinks, including soda, fruit juice, coffee, and bottled water, which will soon cost $2 each. Presumably tap water, which may or may not be contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria, will still be free.

The move is the latest way airlines are attempting to fight rapidly rising fuel prices in a disastrous economic climate. In recent months, the extra fees have come fast and furious. First came extra charges for your second piece of luggage, then came a charge for your first bag. That's not to mention extra fees for choosing your own seat, curbside check-in, booking using frequent flier miles, and the cost of the Santa Fe chicken sandwich.

The beverage fee is even more annoying than most, since you can no longer bring liquids through security at airports. You are really at the mercy of buying them on the plane, or at least buying them once you're in the terminal (which is doubtlessly no cheaper than on the plane). Alcoholic drinks will also go from $5 to $7. That's a lot for a can of Budweiser.

The fee goes into effect August 18, leaving plenty of time for the airlines to come up with other fees to nickel and dime their way to profitability. Can pay toilets be far behind?

Found here: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/95048

I hope that all airlines don't do this as well. I don't want gross, contaminated tap water. When we flew to Europe last year the planes were soo hot so we were always parched...and it was hard finding anyone to get you something to drink (even after pushing the button). This sucks!

I chose not to patronize those airlines with these silly and expensive new things. Fortunately, I live near a major east coast city where we have choices.

I was wondering when this would happen. I was also wondering about the legality since there is that 3 oz. limit on liquids brought aboard.

I guess they have their behinds covered with the "free" tap water.

I was wondering when this would happen. I was also wondering about the legality since there is that 3 oz. limit on liquids brought aboard.

Once you pass security you can buy any size water/drink!!

That's what I do now - I pay their ridiculous fee for bottled water in the terminal, and take it on the plane. I don't drink a lot on the plane, as I want to avoid using those cramped, smelly bathrooms as much as possible!:rolleyes: If I do get thirsy, I have a little of my bottled water.

Well you don't want to have anything to drink on a flight these days anyway............cause the next step is 50 cents to use the bathroom!!!! And 10 cents a sheet for toilet paper!!!!!! :rolleyes: And although I am kidding I won't be surprised if it were to happen............................

I wish the airlines would just raise ticket prices, but they prefer those lower fares to show up in ticket price aggregators, etc.

I don't see a huge problem with charging for drinks ... I mean, budget carriers like Allegiant have had this in their model for a while. Sure, it's another nickel and dime, but prices HAVE to go up somehow, and I have a feeling these small charges will increase until one or more airline loses "low fare chicken" and folds.

I wish the airlines would just raise ticket prices, but they prefer those lower fares to show up in ticket price aggregators, etc.

I don't see a huge problem with charging for drinks ... I mean, budget carriers like Allegiant have had this in their model for a while. Sure, it's another nickel and dime, but prices HAVE to go up somehow, and I have a feeling these small charges will increase until one or more airline loses "low fare chicken" and folds.

I don't really have a problem with a charge for water and soda...however $2 is really ridiculous.....I mean come on.... Not only are they making money by not giving a way a free soda or water....but then to charge such a high price for it is a double whammy in my opinion.

I wish the airlines would just raise ticket prices.

i've said it before.... they need to make sure they charge FULL price to the people st in bizz or 1st! thats where the profit margin is!

make them pay for the sq ft floor space they occupy, or give it to the economy section...

most people who fly in these classes don't actually pay full fare like the cattle in the back rows!! it would work out better financially if they made them pay as opposed to comp'ing them further forward....

last friday, we booked to 2 r/t tickets to lax, for $340pp....yesterday, i seen the exact tickets are 300 total pp....i called delta....yes they can change it, but it would cost us $100 more to do so....this is where they are nickel and diming....

last friday, we booked to 2 r/t tickets to lax, for $340pp....yesterday, i seen the exact tickets are 300 total pp....i called delta....yes they can change it, but it would cost us $100 more to do so....this is where they are nickel and diming....

Change fees have been around for a long time, they are nothing new

Change fees have been around for a long time, they are nothing new

but what i am saying is, that if a cruise line can change you from one ship to another for free, why can't the airlines do that....take last year....we had to change from the rhapsody in may to the granduer in march, because my sil was pregnant....they changed no problem....when i went to change flights with us air, they charged us 500 to do so, then eventually screwed our flights up and i had to cancel the entire airfare and switch to aa.....i just don't understand why they want to charge you to switch to a cheaper price on the exact flights...not like we were changing dates, etc.....

but what i am saying is, that if a cruise line can change you from one ship to another for free, why can't the airlines do that....take last year....we had to change from the rhapsody in may to the granduer in march, because my sil was pregnant....they changed no problem....when i went to change flights with us air, they charged us 500 to do so, then eventually screwed our flights up and i had to cancel the entire airfare and switch to aa.....i just don't understand why they want to charge you to switch to a cheaper price on the exact flights...not like we were changing dates, etc.....

there really is no reason except because they can. Not very comforting I know but it has been this way forever.

Saw this the other day and thought it was pure genius. No, you cannot bring in bottles of water, but you can bring in EMPTY water bottles and fill them up at a water fountain after going through security.

I have seen water confiscated at Security - BUT as soon as you clear it - there is a kisosk selling water and coffee which people bring aboard without incident.

I will carry on $20 in penny's and order my coke. 1,2,3,4 oh where was I 1, 2 ,3 or just order 10 cokes and hand them a bag of penny's.

sorry just venting my way

LOL... reminds me of the time I sent a letter plastered front and back with one cent stamps.

1. Polaroid could have given you the most expensive camera in their inventory - Why not they were the only game in town for the film.

2. Gillette and Schick - same thing for their razors

3. HP - a couple of years ago - my DW had a hand me down printer from the kids - To replace both ink cartridges would cost $60.00 - got her a brand new Printer for $55.00 including half cartridges.

Seems to me they could give ya the flight for free - since the add on charges are now more than the damn flight cost originally.

Time to drop most if not all of my frequent flyer credit cards too - Sayonara USBANK Worldperks Visa, Citibank's AAdvantage card - I'd have to spend $60,000 to get enough points to qualify for an award which I now have to pay a charge for - Zeesh - Time to end deregulation.

Airlines see the gas companies and banks raising charges at least once a week - and fighre - hey whynot

Hello ala-kat, I don't believe you are allowed to carry in the empty containers. I've seen them make people throw them away at our airport here in Cleveland. Don't ask me why, I haven't any idea why.

BTW, the same goes for partially filled bottles. Like cologne. You cannot carry a 4 ounce bottle of cologne that only has one ounce in it. I've seen them make people throw that away too.

Hello ala-kat, I don't believe you are allowed to carry in the empty containers. I've seen them make people throw them away at our airport here in Cleveland. Don't ask me why, I haven't any idea why.

In Seattle we've been able to carry empty bottles through security. We usually put them in a bin with other small stuff, so if they ask it's easy to show that it's empty. Once we're through we hit the water fountain.

Our Delta ticket prices went down in April for a flight in May to San Juan. I called and we were going to get a refund with the difference but instead put it towards changing our a flight to one a day earlier. I guess those days are over. I bet getting the OBC or a refund on cruises is soon to be a thing of past also.

Archived