Passport!

niso2

So today we wnet to the Post Office for our 2 kids to apply for a passport. No problem at all- they told us the turnaround time is 2 weeks.

What we found out, though, is the passport for under 18 year olds expire after 5 years! I just wanted to share that info- We paid 170.00 total and were doing the math- it is going to get really expensive to get the kids new passports every 5 years!!

So today we wnet to the Post Office for our 2 kids to apply for a passport. No problem at all- they told us the turnaround time is 2 weeks.

What we found out, though, is the passport for under 18 year olds expire after 5 years! I just wanted to share that info- We paid 170.00 total and were doing the math- it is going to get really expensive to get the kids new passports every 5 years!!

The age is actually 16 years.

And,

if you want to be technical.....

since the passport must be valid for 6 months after travel...

this 5 year passport is only good for 4.5 years. :eek:

DD's now 12YO (and on her 3rd Passport). Her infant passport really would not have been of much use to a immigrations official when she was 9YO.

Also note that technically a juvenile's passport expires and they apply for a new passport. Adults can "renew" their passports. The paperwork and the fees vary between new and renewals.

Both my grandkids had their passports young. My GS was around 8 months but my GD was only about 6 weeks. Got to tell you, those pictures will look nothing like them in 5 years, let alone 10 :D. My DD did request that both get their passports stamped on the last cruise. New Zealand and Australia both did it for her. So did Canada.

Passports for kids have been 5 yr. for ages. Children's features change so rapidly........

Exactly, I just renewed my kids passports this spring and the difference in the pictures are pretty amazing. Kids sure grow up fast!

I think it will be really great to look back as they kids get older to compare what they looked like through the years and the trips that we got to take.

I just am still a little shocked at the price for the two passports and how they will charge the same fee after they expire!:eek: It is not a huge deal- but I was taken a back.

Be glad you're not in Canada. Adult passports must be "renewed" after 5 years, new picture and full cost ($85). I got a really bad deal last year: I needed to renew my passport for our trip to Hawaii, where I was married and changed my name! Now I need ANOTHER NEW PASSPORT - at full price!

Archived