Anyone try a GorillaPod?

This looks like it would be cool to have, anyone tried it? I see that Sunpac has a very similar product at about 1/2 the price. The legs are flexible and can be wrapped around things.MAC

Yes, I have one. It really comes in handy for some situations. I got the most heavy duty one and it is not quite heavy duty enough for my camera, so I do suggest if you get one, go heavier than you think you will need. I can't say anything about Sunpac's, I have never even seen it.

It is great becasue it can hang over a deck railing or a car window or used in many other ways. I even use mine as a light stand for a slave flash occasionally.

It is also a great conversations starter and everyone likes to play with it.

Yes, I have one. It really comes in handy for some situations. I got the most heavy duty one and it is not quite heavy duty enough for my camera, so I do suggest if you get one, go heavier than you think you will need. I can't say anything about Sunpac's, I have never even seen it.

It is great becasue it can hang over a deck railing or a car window or used in many other ways. I even use mine as a light stand for a slave flash occasionally.

It is also a great conversations starter and everyone likes to play with it.

Do you mind me asking what kind of camera you were using with the Gorillapod? I've been told that they're OK for small (ie compact) digital cameras, but not much use for a D-SLR with a telephoto lens.....

Thanks in advance

Tim

I think that I will pick one of these up, since I have a fairly lightweight S3 IS (compared to a DSLR) the regular SLR size should work just fine. Thanks for your opinions!:) It will give me more chances to do some longer exposures.

MAC

Do you mind me asking what kind of camera you were using with the Gorillapod? I've been told that they're OK for small (ie compact) digital cameras, but not much use for a D-SLR with a telephoto lens.....

Thanks in advance

Tim

I have a Canon EOS 40D with a battery grip. It is a pretty heavy camera. I bought the heaviest gorilla pod they sell that is supposed to be good for heavier video cameras. I don't really think it is beefy enough for my camera, but it is very handy when you really need to wrap your camera around something.

I have a Canon EOS 40D with a battery grip. It is a pretty heavy camera. I bought the heaviest gorilla pod they sell that is supposed to be good for heavier video cameras. I don't really think it is beefy enough for my camera, but it is very handy when you really need to wrap your camera around something.

Thanks e-CJ, unfortunately that's what I expected to hear. I have an EOS 20D, with a range of lenses, and whilst the camera is well-balanced even when using the largest lens, I'd think that any movement away from the vertical/horizontal would be difficult for a gorillapod to handle. I'll probably still get one for my tiny Sony compact, but I think I'm going to have to splurge on a proper tripod for the Canon.

Thanks again

Tim

Thanks e-CJ, unfortunately that's what I expected to hear. I have an EOS 20D, with a range of lenses, and whilst the camera is well-balanced even when using the largest lens, I'd think that any movement away from the vertical/horizontal would be difficult for a gorillapod to handle. I'll probably still get one for my tiny Sony compact, but I think I'm going to have to splurge on a proper tripod for the Canon.

Thanks again

Tim

I have had no problems at all getting the horizon within 1% or better. So, if you plan to get one anyway, my suggestion would be to spend the extra 5 bucks, get the heavy duty one and try it with your 20D. Your camera will be a lot lighter if you do not use a battery grip and even if you do the gorilla pod is still good for what it does when you really need it. A gorilla pod is definitely no a substitute for a good regular pod though. You wouldn't even want to use it where a standard tripod could be used more effectively.

Archived