SS/SY Vista ships vs. Deluxe

LVSue

In our previous trips, we have done the deluxe suite route on the Amsterdam and the Volendam, but on the Prinsendam we were quite satisfied with the space on the SS suites.

Anyone out there who has sailed the Vista ships (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam) who can validate that? I'd especially appreciate input from those have done Deluxe before on any ships and therefore can contrast the two.

I know you are interested in comments from those who booked S suites. I can tell you that we always book a SY which has a tremendous amount of room with the separate shower that I like very much and DW likes the jetted tub. It is also a nice savings if cost is of any interest.

We had an SS on the Prinsendam, and it is indeed spacious. It's a different configuration from usual because the ship wasn't built to be a Holland America ship.

We have also been in SS and S cabins on Vista ships, and these are both quite roomy and comfortable. There is indeed a bit more room in an S suite, but most of it appeared to be in the dressing room. In the main part of the cabin there didn't appear to be all that much difference in "moving around" room.

Jim, I disagree slightly with that.. there is quite a bit of difference in "moving around" space in the duluxe suite. In fact, it's the width of half a balcony stateroom more...

The deluxe has a King sized bed, as opposed to the queen in the SS suite, and the difference in floor space between the foot of the bed and the sitting area makes the deluxe a very spacious area...

The depth of the dressing room (which is substantial) plus a bit more, is the difference in floor space between the two cabins. I also like that the deluxe bathroom door opens into the dressing room rather than the hallway directly in front of the cabin door.

All that said, however, the SS suite is spacious and for 2 people, if you are not wanting to pay a premium for Neptune Lounge privileges, it is a very very nice stateroom indeed. The best part is it has the identical very large double bathroom with jaccuzi tub and separate shower stall, and 2 sinks and lots and lots of storage in two cabinets and under the sinks. The balcony is smaller than the deluxe of course but unless you want to do some major entertaining out there it's plenty big.

I've had deluxe suites on all of the 4 Vistas, and an SS on the Oosterdam. If you have any more questions about comparing and contrasting them...

Moriah

SY's/Ss's are great, but the access to the Neptune with the "deluxe" suites is difficult to pass up not to mention the addt'l. perks with the upgrade. Not sure what the addt'l. charge is on the Prinsendam however? We were on the "O" / 8th deck / midships.

Note to Moriah:

We SO enjoyed your AK "O" posts prior to our May sail. Just wanted to thank you for your accurate, helpful posts! Next time, we would love to have Neptune Lounge perks, but this time our superior cabin (deck 8 / midships) was wonderful and yes, the balcony was WELL worth the charge since we had only one day of rain (Juneau) and otherwise, sun!

Just wondering -- why choose a Deluxe if you can obtain a Superior suite and purchase the Suite Amenities package and still save big dollars (excluding the Neptune)?

That is what I was wondering too.

Just wondering -- why choose a Deluxe if you can obtain a Superior suite and purchase the Suite Amenities package and still save big dollars (excluding the Neptune)?

We booked the Deluxe cabin because it's bigger, and because of the Neptune Lounge and the concierge service. You also have access to the PG for breakfast. The Suite Amenities package wouldn't interest us because we mainly want the extra room and the use of the NL.

Deluxe Suite embarkation privileges, free bubbly w/ the Captain and the additional closet space?

Yes, I agree. The "amenities" are not that big a deal to me - and why buy the package? All of the things in the package can be purchases separately - you probably don't need all of them, so just get any cabin you like and purchase those things as you wish. Anyone in any cabin can get laundry, flowers, etc etc.. you just have to buy them. These are not the reasons I would get a deluxe, as others have already explained. The deluxe cabin IS much bigger and the concierge service makes your experience a lot different. IMO

Of course, I'm not knocking the SY/SS - as I said they are wonderful cabins. But getting one of those and buying the amenities package is NOT the same as having a deluxe suite!

I wasn't saying it was the same. Obviously Deluxe passengers are paying much much more for only a few extra square feet and the Neptune room. And with the suite amenties package one receives concierge services by phone (which is preferable IMO). Life is always choices - but for true dollar value - I simply don't see the reasoning for a Deluxe.

We booked an SY on our upcoming Westerdam cruise for the balcony size alone. The price difference from the Verandah was as much of an increase as we wanted--to get to the Deluxe Verandah suites would have been a price we didn't want to pay (esp. for a 15 day cruise:rolleyes: ) and the amenities we can live without. But the balcony size (and yes, the bathroom) are what sold us on the "in-between" size of the SY superior verandah.

And I hope I wrote all those cabin descriptions properly, because if I don't have the document with square feet in front of me, I get them all confused in my brain & typing fingers:o

I wasn't saying it was the same. Obviously Deluxe passengers are paying much much more for only a few extra square feet and the Neptune room. And with the suite amenties package one receives concierge services by phone (which is preferable IMO). Life is always choices - but for true dollar value - I simply don't see the reasoning for a Deluxe.

And I'm not trying to convince you to get a deluxe. What is "worth it" is always completely subjective. I've been in both types of suites and they are both lovely. I do think that just for everyone's information it should be clear that "telephone concierge" can often mean sitting in your stateroom waiting for that phone to be answered for ages and ages. When we were in the SS, we found it faster to go to the front desk and wait in line. I didn't feel that was any kind of benefit at all. By contrast, the concierge desk in the Neptune is truly a wonderful service with a staff that knows your name and truly goes the extra mile for you. But again - it's up to each person whether it's "worth it" to upgrade to that type of service. And it's not a "few" extra square feet - there is a significant difference in the size of the cabin between deluxe and SS/SY. Again, this is just to be clear for people reading who may not have been in either of these categories yet and are reading this for information. Almost every time I cruise we have friends who are in one or both of the penthouse suites, and while for ME, these suites are not "worth it" because of the huge (for me) difference in price, I would never argue that they are not getting something significantly different than what I get in an SA - they are - and it's up to them whether they want to spend the money to get it.

Moriah

It's nice to have choices. I guess we're just on opposite pages...I think the extra money is worth it for the bigger cabin, NL and concierge service. I would imagine there's people who stay in an inside cabin and think the superior suites aren't a good value for the dollar, nor would they waste their money on the amenities package...so they probably don't see the reasoning for someone forking over the $$ for a superior suite.

On our last cruise, we had friends in an SS and when they came into our SA, they said there was quite a bit more room in our cabin.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I only stated why I think it's worth the money...and IMO, it is. I personally wouldn't do the amenities package, but just because I wouldn't, that doesn't mean it won't appeal to others. To each his own. :)

Archived