train from marseille to aix en provence

elin

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on how difficult it is to take the train from Marseille to Aix en Provence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the name of the departing station in Marseille and the arrival station in Aix?

Is it walking distance from the ship?

Do trains run fairly regularly?

What is the approximate cost of a round trip ticket?

Is this fairly easy to do or am I being delusional thinking that I should be considering this with kids between 9 -16?

I will also be posting the same question about going from Villefranche to Monaco/Eze if anyone has answers for that.

Many thanks.

Elin

Thanks Gobaliser! This is twice that you have helped me out!:)

I have to say that I'm very impressed! How do you do that with the links?

Did you take the train yourself or the bus?

Thanks!

Elin

Helping each other out is what these boards are all about!

The links are easy, if you use the hyperlink icon in the row of icons immediately above the text entry box where you type your post. It's the blue one that looks like a globe with some glasses in front of it.

I haven't done either. The one time I went to Aix it was in a car, as I was staying in Marseille. I then took a TGV direct from Marseille to Paris. Sorry I can't be of more direct help.

Thanks Yow!

Unfortunately we will be there on a Sunday. I hope that things are still open. Although, I must admit that strolling around the town is what I like to do (we were there this summer, and thought that we could definitely spend more time there).

Any suggestions for Aix en Provence on a Sunday out there?

e

Hi,

We've got the same situation coming up in May, as we'll be in Marsailles on a Sunday as well. I've read several posts here and elsewhere that Aix en Provence really will be more or less shut down on a Sunday, so wandering around and taking in the view would be about all we'd be able to do. Of course, this is second-hand info here, so if anyone else knows something different, please speak up! :)

Personally, I'm considering using that day as a relax-on-the-ship day. We've got an extremely port-intensive itinerary (11 days, 12 ports, not a single sea day!) and we do have another stop in France (Monte Carlo) from which we're going to take a private tour into the countryside. And not many people in here have much good to say about Marsailles itself. So methinks that may be my day to visit the spa.

LeeAnne

LeeAnne,

Marseille is an interesting side of France that many don't often see, and is very different from Monte Carlo (not France actually, though the countryside you'll see from there will probably be in France). I'd definitely recommend at least a stroll through town, see the marina, perhaps a stop for bouillabaise and a pastis. Get a flavour, then if you wish head back aboard ship for that spa treatment. Just a thought.

And a good thought it is. You are right, I should at least check out the place. What you suggested sounds just about right -- I'll get to see a place I've never seen before, and then go back on board to have my day of relaxation.

LeeAnne

Hi Yow,

There is a church that is menioned in Marseille. I think I read somewhere that you can take a train up to see it. Can't remember the name (if I had to guess, I'd say Notre Dame, but maybe I'm just getting my French churches confused:D ).

Have you been up there? Is it easy to walk to?

Also, isn't Marseille where they filmed the early part of the Bourne Identity? Isn't that where they fish Jason Bourne out of the water from?

e

Yup, that's Marseille... at least it's supposed to be Marseille.

I believe you speak of the Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde, certainly a worthwhile stop and a great view. About an hour's walk from Vieux Port, IIRC, or accesible by bus or "petit train".

Yup, that's Marseille... at least it's supposed to be Marseille.

I believe you speak of the Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde, certainly a worthwhile stop and a great view. About an hour's walk from Vieux Port, IIRC, or accesible by bus or "petit train".

Hmm...now this sounds interesting...after all the great food I'm going to be consuming on this cruise, a nice 2-hour walk to see something worthwhile sounds great. Can you tell me a little more about it? How about the walk -- is it a picturesque walk, or something better seen by taking the bus?

LeeAnne

If the weather is nice, it's probably a worthwhile walk, albeit a bit steep in places. See how your day is going, and keep options open. You could take the bus/train there and maybe walk back, so long as you've got a map or aren't hesitant to ask directions here and there. Or you could focus your walking more around the old port and the main streets of town. The church itself is worth seeing, and then there's the view.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll do that. I just learned that I got a $200 shipboard credit by using my AmEx, and since we don't have a single sea day, I am definitely going to be spending at least a portion of this day at the spa! But I will certainly spend some time exploring on land.

LeeAnne

Archived