From Manhatton to Cape Liberty, Bayonne. NJ???

Hi everyone

we are flying into NYC for a few days before our cruise on the EOTS and can't work out the best way to get to the port. We are staying at the Courtyard Marriott Midtown both before and after our cruise; what do members recommend?

thanks

David and Adele

Search this board for car services, which you can arrange in advance and will have a set price. You don't want to just flag down a NY taxi because there are extra charges when they take you from NY to NJ. You want someone who knows where the cruise terminal is.

Plan to arrive at the port by 11 am so you get the most out of your first day.

Is cost an issue? If so, you can take a cab or the subway to World Trade to get on the PATH trains to NJ. Then you can go one stop to Exchange Place and transfer to the Light rail, which will take you to 32nd(?) Street in Bayonne. RC is supposed to have a shuttle there, but you'd have to check that out. Otherwise, it's another short cab ride to the pier.

Or you can stay on Path and go to Journal Square in Jersey City and take a cab from there. Or you can go to Port Authority and take a bus to Bayonne (again 32nd St. or so) and take a cab to the port. All these public transportation options will involve some luggage handling. World Trade should have escalators, but I don't know about Exchange Place. Port Authority will also have escalators, so you should only have to get your luggage on and off the bus.

The concierge at your hotel can arrange it for you I'm sure. And a NYC (yellow) taxi would also make the trip easy. Don't even consider schlepping your luggage through the NYC subway system (stairways, escalators, turnstiles) or the PATH. Have a great cruise.

Thank you both.

We will ask the concierge to order a taxi and plan to arrive at the port for 11:00 a m so we can enjoy the day as suggested.

We are really looking forward to two firsts the experience of seeing NY for the first time and doing the cruise.

Regards

David and Adele

Thank you both.

We will ask the concierge to order a taxi and plan to arrive at the port for 11:00 a m so we can enjoy the day as suggested.

We are really looking forward to two firsts the experience of seeing NY for the first time and doing the cruise.

Regards

David and Adele

You really might want to consider a private transfer instead of a taxi. When we were there in Sept '06, I was quoted from one cab company $250 each way. Another cabbie I heard advertised on our radio station here in Los Angeles, wanted $450 (including a tour, he wasn't interested in just the transfer). I hired a private shuttle van for $98 from Manhattan to Bayonne and $110 from Bayonne to JFK. Depending on your amount of luggage (if you think it will all fit in a regular car) they are a lot more affordable. Others on the board have posted $60 each way in a car. But my friend and I had a 29", 22" and a carry-on each, so that was 6 bags and I wanted a shuttle to be sure it all fit.

Definitely go to the East Coast board under the North American Homeports and browse for the names and phone numbers of the various transfer companies others have used.

Did you book this pre-trip through the cruiseline? When we did Bermuda last year on Azamara we did the pre-trip overnight thing in NYC also and the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, hotel to port, port to airport was included in the the pre-trip excursion.

also check yor roll call to see if anyone wishes to share a car with you. That's what we did and the car picke us each up at different hotels for a small extra fee - no meter worries and easy fast transport.

Hello all

Our booking for our cruise was direct with RCI. After some discussion we decided not to take advantage of RCI pre and post cruise hotel because we wanted to be nearer to the sights of Manhattan. We booked with Marriott directly because we use this company whenever we travel in Europe.

We will ask the concierge at the Marriott to arrange transportation to and from the port as suggested above.

We really appreciate all of the help and advice because we are new to NY and RCI, and are looking forward to new experiences without too much of the hassles that could occur being new to a place.

Regards

David and Adele

NY subways would be very crowded and trying to carry luggage through it would be a hassle, but could be done, if you don't find your luggage bumping into or being bumped by the crowds. A car service would be the best bet. They make thousands of trips between NYC and EWR Airport area everyday.

You really might want to consider a private transfer instead of a taxi. When we were there in Sept '06, I was quoted from one cab company $250 each way. Another cabbie I heard advertised on our radio station here in Los Angeles, wanted $450 (including a tour, he wasn't interested in just the transfer). I hired a private shuttle van for $98 from Manhattan to Bayonne and $110 from Bayonne to JFK. Depending on your amount of luggage (if you think it will all fit in a regular car) they are a lot more affordable. Others on the board have posted $60 each way in a car. But my friend and I had a 29", 22" and a carry-on each, so that was 6 bags and I wanted a shuttle to be sure it all fit.

Definitely go to the East Coast board under the North American Homeports and browse for the names and phone numbers of the various transfer companies others have used.

Nonsense....you're clearly mistaking a private taxi service with the yellow (sanctioned by the NY taxi commission) taxis that one sees everywhere here. A taxi will cost $45-$50 plus the (return) toll through the Lincoln Tunnel. Plus tip of course. These cabs have the taxi commission approved fares to NYC Metro airports posted right in the cab. It's $45 as of today. And Port Liberty is near the airport.

Nonsense....you're clearly mistaking a private taxi service with the yellow (sanctioned by the NY taxi commission) taxis that one sees everywhere here. A taxi will cost $45-$50 plus the (return) toll through the Lincoln Tunnel. Plus tip of course. These cabs have the taxi commission approved fares to NYC Metro airports posted right in the cab. It's $45 as of today. And Port Liberty is near the airport.

Sorry to dispute you, but the one taxi company I spoke to while there in NYC was a yellow cab. Even though it was only 11 miles from our hotel in Manhattan to the Cape Liberty pier, he told me he could charge what he wanted because he was leaving NYC and crossing the river over to New Jersey, then double it for the empty cab trip back to NYC because he wasn't allowed to pick up fare in New Jersey. Now I'm not a local and not familiar with all the rules and regulations in NYC, but I specifically asked him because of the two companies on the Internet wanting so much for the trip of such a short distance. You are right that going from the airport to Manhattan was $45 but not the trip to Cape Liberty. And also from EWR to Cape Liberty because that was all in New Jersey. But I was spending 3 days pre-cruise in Manhattan after flying into JFK.

That's why I went with the private van transfer.

Incorrect info.

Flat rate from JFK to Manhattan only. NYC taxis have the right to charge DOUBLE the fare, as they cannot pick up fares in NJ on the return. Fares from Manhattan to New Jersey (Port Elizabeth, Bayonne and Newark) commonly run $70 PLUS tip and toll. I take taxis to these areas from both Manhattan and the Bronx monthly. With tolls and tip-about $85-90.00 from Manhattan, over $100 from the Bronx.

Hello all

We have read all of the information and thank you for this. As we are new to New York all of the information we can gather is very useful for us to know. We are arriving at JFK four days before the cruise and we will make a final decision about travel to the port after we have spoken to the concierge at the Marriot. We hope that by then that all of the information will help us to make good choices and get us from hotel to port and back without too many hassles.

Kind regards

David and Adele:)

Hello all

We have read all of the information and thank you for this. As we are new to New York all of the information we can gather is very useful for us to know. We are arriving at JFK four days before the cruise and we will make a final decision about travel to the port after we have spoken to the concierge at the Marriot. We hope that by then that all of the information will help us to make good choices and get us from hotel to port and back without too many hassles.

Kind regards

David and Adele:)

David and Adele,

Don't know what your plans for NYC are, but Gray Lines has a Hop on/Hop off bus and the 48 hour pass was really nice. We used it as our transportation around NYC. We went to Battery Park & took the boat to Ellis Island & Liberty Island, then back on the ho/ho through Little Italy, Chinatown, Seaport Village and back to Manhattan. Then we took it to Central Park. It's really a convenient way to see the sights of NYC without spending an arm and leg to do it. Then we stopped at Lindy's for their famous NY Cheesecake. Walked all around Times Square. They also have little pedi-cabs that you can hail if your feet get tired.

Have a great trip!

David and Adele,

Don't know what your plans for NYC are, but Gray Lines has a Hop on/Hop off bus and the 48 hour pass was really nice. We used it as our transportation around NYC. We went to Battery Park & took the boat to Ellis Island & Liberty Island, then back on the ho/ho through Little Italy, Chinatown, Seaport Village and back to Manhattan. Then we took it to Central Park. It's really a convenient way to see the sights of NYC without spending an arm and leg to do it. Then we stopped at Lindy's for their famous NY Cheesecake. Walked all around Times Square. They also have little pedi-cabs that you can hail if your feet get tired.

Have a great trip!

Hi agabbymama

Thank you for the information and tips. We haven't planned too far ahead yet but that sounds like a great idea, and we will certainly look into doing what you suggested.

Kind regards

David and Adele

• 1 month later...

Hi David & Adele, We are from also from Scotland and planning our cruise for June 09 with RCI on Explorer from NJ, like yourselves we have never been to New York though have cruised for years with RCI out of Florida. I would love to hear how your cruise goes and any tips you would like to share would be very much appreciated. ie cheap flights from UK lol

I also need any information on best Airport to fly into, getting from Airport to hotel also hotel to stay in before and after cruise and easiest way to get from hotel to port and back again and any other information anyone thinks I will need.

thanx

Shirley,

We sailed out of Bayonne last year and found that since we were going home after the cruise, it was best to fly into Newark airport in NJ (closest to the port). From there you can take a bus, train or shared shuttle van into the city. Although it took a bit longer because the shuttle makes multiple stops, we did that to make transporting luggage direct to the hotel easier. And for you, it's a neat way to take a limited trip around NYC on your way to the hotel. Then, we booked a private car to the ship (found another couple on our Roll Call to share it with us to defray expenses). Although expensive, it meant we were picked up at our hotel and dropped right at the port with no stress on our part. There are less expensive ways to do that - but we didn't want to wrestle with our luggage on trains so we chose to start the cruise in an easy and stressfree fashion (there's a pattern here :). Let us know if you have other questions.

:) Hi shirleys8

Hi David & Adele, We are from also from Scotland and planning our cruise for June 09 with RCI on Explorer from NJ, like yourselves we have never been to New York though have cruised for years with RCI out of Florida. I would love to hear how your cruise goes and any tips you would like to share would be very much appreciated. ie cheap flights from UK lol

I also need any information on best Airport to fly into, getting from Airport to hotel also hotel to stay in before and after cruise and easiest way to get from hotel to port and back again and any other information anyone thinks I will need.

We will be happy to share our experiences with you in the New Year.

We are flying out of Glasgow, via Amsterdam to JFK. We got the best price from travelsupermarket.com and will fly with NWA operated through KLM.

We went for JFK as when we booked the cruise the hotel offered by RCCL was the Doubletree at JFK. However, on reflection we decided to stay in Manhattan and go to a better hotel.

We always organise our own holidays, book on the web, never use travel agents and find this a better, cheaper and more interesting option.

kind regards

David and Adele

:)

Hi, we took the Explorer a few years ago and have her booked again for March.

Last time we caught a cab from our mid-town hotel to Macys. The entrance to the PATH is right opposite in the shopping centre there. The train (tube) cost approx $1.50pp and we got off at Hoboken.

From there we took a cab (he had no idea where the port was and it took a few of his taxi-driving chums to point him in the right direction!) but we got there for about $35. Yes, you have to haul luggage up the stairs at Hoboken but we will do this again in March, as we never could find a difinitive answer of the cost of a cab the whole way there.

At Hoboken you can transfer to the Light Rail train that takes you to 32nd St in Bayonne but I have heard that the 'free transfer bus' is never there and I must admit the place looked empty as we drove past in the cab.

Hope this helps.

little britain - you're the first one who has admitted to going half way there on public transportation. Congratulations!

May I offer a further suggestion? Instead of taking Path to Hoboken, which is farther away from Bayonne, take it to Journal Square which is closer to Bayonne. There is also a better chance of escalators or elevators there because it is a "transportation center". The Path fare would be the same (I think it is $1.75 now), but the cab to Bayonne should be a lot cheaper.

I have a question for those of you who live in the Bayonne area. We will be sailing on the Explorer in September of 2009. We may drive up from Florida as we may need to be in Washington DC on the 13th of September. Do any of the hotels offer a stay and leave your car option? Also, do you have any recommendations as to the hotels in the area?

Bette and Bill - Megr1125 has a web site

Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

Some folks like the motels in Elizabeth. I've stayed at the Newark Airport Sheraton for a Park/fly before we stopped flying and was very satisfied with the hotel and the parking arrangement.

Archived