White Pass Railroad

Shelly97060

We just got back from Alaska and had a great time on the White Pass Railroad. The scenery was great, and we even got to see a bear.

The kids really enjoyed it.

Just thought I would share for those who may be considering it.

Hi

Thanks for the info. There are so many different trips of this type I'm confused as to which one to take. I'm especially wondering about the one on the "steam" train, it's seems to be so much more expensive than the others. Has anyone taken this one? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the info. There are so many different trips of this type I'm confused as to which one to take. I'm especially wondering about the one on the "steam" train, it's seems to be so much more expensive than the others. Has anyone taken this one? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks for any input.

The steam train is intended for railfans - people like me who really love trains. Most folks wouldn't appreciate it, particularly because the smoke and soot from it can be pretty stinky in the passenger cars - see http://www.railsnorth.com/images/steamex6.html

Murray

The steam train is intended for railfans - people like me who really love trains. Most folks wouldn't appreciate it, particularly because the smoke and soot from it can be pretty stinky in the passenger cars - see http://www.railsnorth.com/images/steamex6.html

Murray

We did the 9 hour tour with Chilkoot. It is a long tour but so worth as the scenery is amazing! I am sure it would have been better (time wise) had we gone train up and bus down. We had to do the bus up/train down because Chilkoot Charters only offer it this way on Wed. which was the day we arrived in Skagway. The stop at Lake Bennett was pretty cool and even got a tour and stories about the area after lunch. Although long, my husband and I agree that it was worth it to see everything from the train. We also made it to Emerald Lake which was my objective for this tour! :)

Murray

Yukon,

Your information helped us to get great seats for the scenery. Thank you for all the information you provide us!

We just got back from Alaska and had a great time on the White Pass Railroad. The scenery was great, and we even got to see a bear.

Which tour did you do? the 3 hour or the longer one?

thanks!

Which tour did you do? the 3 hour or the longer one?

thanks!

I have been looking into the different options also. There is the Yukon rail and bus ($174:00 - 7 Hrs) from http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm

or the Deluxe Yukon Sight seeing (100.00 - 6hrs) - Bus only from Southeast tours http://www.southeasttours.com/deluxe_yukon_sightseeing_tours_skagway_alaska_tour_info.html

or Not do any of these - I am geting tired looking for the best option, without compromising too much of my time in port for a trip, I might not enjoy.

We did the one that takes you all the way to Lake Bennett and Carcross in the Yukon, that excursion is 8 hours. The trip was great. Only disaapointment was not enough time in Carcross. Make sure that you tell the driver (bus takes you back), they you'll like some time in Carcross. It's an area that's almost impossible to get to otherwise and a shame to rush through it, like we had to do.

We did the one that takes you all the way to Lake Bennett and Carcross in the Yukon, that excursion is 8 hours. The trip was great. Only disaapointment was not enough time in Carcross. Make sure that you tell the driver (bus takes you back), they you'll like some time in Carcross. It's an area that's almost impossible to get to otherwise and a shame to rush through it, like we had to do.

Did you do this tour w/the ship??

We are on the Star Princess Aug. 3 and have booked this tour w/Chilkoot for Aug. 7. I will ask the bus driver on the way back for some more time in Carcross. Has anyone else done this??

im glad the kids liked it , i booked this excursion for our cruise 8/5 with our daughter who is 7 ,and i was a little worried if she would get bored or not,

how old are your kids?

did you do the 3 hr train ride?

Did you do this tour w/the ship??

We are on the Star Princess Aug. 3 and have booked this tour w/Chilkoot for Aug. 7. I will ask the bus driver on the way back for some more time in Carcross. Has anyone else done this??

we just got back (review posted - roll call/princess/golden 6-16) and did a bus up/rail down 4 hour excursion that we book through an on-line site. That gave us the opportunity to do a second excursion, river float in Dyea in the afternoon. Both were amazing. My opinion is that you cannot lose on ANY of these excursions...everyone we spoke with was raving about what they had done each and every day. Alaska is a win/win no matter what you do!:)

We did the 7 hr tour, bus up rail down with Chilkoot Charters and we had a great time. To us this was our best tour. We went with our 23 and 7 year old son and they both enjoyed it very much. Our bus driver made several stops along the way. We stopped for about an 1 1/2 at Caribou Crossing which is in Carcross for lunch. There they have the musher dogs, for those who want to ride the sleds with the dogs there is an extra fee. They also have a taxidermy museum with lots of animals which was very interesting. We also stopped at the Carcross Desert which is the smallest desert in the world. We stopped at Emerald Lake which is beautiful. On the way back down to take the train we saw three different bear sightings. Our bus driver turned around for us each time to be able to take pictures of the bears. I highly recommend this tour for those who are interested.

I too think the time in Carcross was too short. I left a comment card that the time in Bennett was too long. However, I do think this stopover is planned in order to get the southbound train on the side track so the north bound can pass. Unfortunate. Maybe a note to Chilkoot Charters is in order and ask them to stay there longer.

Good luck to anyone planning their train trip. I think this was one of the best excursions I took. It was long (8 hr) but so beautiful.

Kathleen

im glad the kids liked it , i booked this excursion for our cruise 8/5 with our daughter who is 7 ,and i was a little worried if she would get bored or not,

how old are your kids?

did you do the 3 hr train ride?

Our kids are a bit older 12 and 16 but there were many younger kids on the train and all were well behaved and enjoying the three hour trip.

We booked through Princess, for those who asked and the train picks you up and drops you off right next to the ship. Very easy. We did the latest one so we still had time to enjoy other things in Skagway.

Archived