Helsinki Excursions

I'm interested in hearing what activities you can do in this port. I am not interested in any of the ship's excursions but something I can do on my own. I don't want to go outside of the city. I thought maybe I can walk around the city but what else can I do? I've heard about the pub tram and wondered if it's worth it? What is good to buy in Helsinki? Does anyone have any recommendations for this city?

Thanks.

Hi ItaliaBella,

Hope the following is helpful for you.

This page is produced by the city of Helsinki and provides a good overview: http://www.hel2.fi/tourism/EN/matko.asp

http://www.helsinkiexpert.fi/index_english.html supplies a daily list of what's on and also times for tours. Good information about the Helsinki Card which you can use for getting around on the city's public transport and offer free or discounted admission to many attractions.

Have you thought about the harbour cruises or ferries that travel to the islands just outside the city? The harbour cruises are roughly 1.5 - 2.0 hours, depending on the time of day you can take lunch (buffet) also and there are different routes to choose from . My personal favourite is this cruise: http://www.sunlines.fi/web/index.php?id=2 that includes the canal, although the commentary in 4 languages is sometimes a bit much :rolleyes: .

A land based suggestion would be to take the 3T / 3B tram which does a large loop through Helsinki and you can HOHO as your fancy takes you. (See the Helsinki Card link above and take 'Transportation'). The route takes in shopping areas, residential, as well as the centre.

I've lived here 6 years and still haven't taken the pub tram :o , so I can't comment although I think it would be a fun way to spend an hour or so. This is the best link I could find so far: http://www.koff.fi/?page_id=276. I'm sure I read some postings here last week about the tram, although now I can't seem to find them now.

What's good to buy: What do you like? Are you buying for yourself or to take home? The market hall in Hakaniemi is one of my favourites for taking visitors, food shops downstairs and lots of interesting shops upstairs. http://www.hakaniemenkauppahalli.fi/tiedotteet/Halli_flyer.pdf is their brochure in English although the Finnish page lists the shops. Marimekko are here, good for clothes, bags, fabric and small household goods.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful city!

Cheers

Heta

Heta... thank you so much! I am on the same cruise with Italiabella and I appreciate all your help. I think the 3T/3B looks like a great way to get an idea of the city. What is the stop for the Rock Church, and which way to I walk after I depart the tram? Also, how is the public restroom situation? Is it fairly easy to find a place to go to the bathroom?

Thanks so much!:)

- We enjoyed visiting the Sibelius Monument - we walked from the harbour to the park but I believe it's on the 3t/tourist tram route.

- A must see for me would be the Rock Church which is hewn out of rock and has a copper and glass domed roof. I found it absolutely beautiful in its simplicity. On our second visit to Helsinki, we made point of going back again. It's quite a popular tourist destination because it's so unique.

- The Uspenski Orthodox Cathedral is interesting too - a complete contrast.

- We found wandering around the market interesting - both the indoor and outdoor markets on the harbour-side.

-

Enjoy your trip - we think helsinki's a beautiful city.

Hi ItaliaBella,

Hope the following is helpful for you.

This page is produced by the city of Helsinki and provides a good overview: http://www.hel2.fi/tourism/EN/matko.asp

http://www.helsinkiexpert.fi/index_english.html supplies a daily list of what's on and also times for tours. Good information about the Helsinki Card which you can use for getting around on the city's public transport and offer free or discounted admission to many attractions.

Have you thought about the harbour cruises or ferries that travel to the islands just outside the city? The harbour cruises are roughly 1.5 - 2.0 hours, depending on the time of day you can take lunch (buffet) also and there are different routes to choose from . My personal favourite is this cruise: http://www.sunlines.fi/web/index.php?id=2 that includes the canal, although the commentary in 4 languages is sometimes a bit much :rolleyes: .

A land based suggestion would be to take the 3T / 3B tram which does a large loop through Helsinki and you can HOHO as your fancy takes you. (See the Helsinki Card link above and take 'Transportation'). The route takes in shopping areas, residential, as well as the centre.

I've lived here 6 years and still haven't taken the pub tram :o , so I can't comment although I think it would be a fun way to spend an hour or so. This is the best link I could find so far: http://www.koff.fi/?page_id=276. I'm sure I read some postings here last week about the tram, although now I can't seem to find them now.

What's good to buy: What do you like? Are you buying for yourself or to take home? The market hall in Hakaniemi is one of my favourites for taking visitors, food shops downstairs and lots of interesting shops upstairs. http://www.hakaniemenkauppahalli.fi/tiedotteet/Halli_flyer.pdf is their brochure in English although the Finnish page lists the shops. Marimekko are here, good for clothes, bags, fabric and small household goods.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful city!

Cheers

Heta

Heta,

Thanks for all your help. As for what to buy, I'd like a little something for myself. I've heard someone mention jewelry with reindeer antlers? Mostly, I want to find something that I will always remember Helsinki by.

Thanks again.

We created our own tour in Helsinki and had a fantastic day. We bought a one day tourist ticket for the trams/buses/ferry for 6 euros. We rode the 3T around completly stopping at the Rock Church, the Sibelius Monument, Olympic Stadium and a market. We then hopped on the 26 tram and went out to the Arabia outlet stores. iittala glass has an outlet there and you can get some nice discounts on some of their pieces. After that we were going to take a ferry out to the island - but it was very windy, so we opted for the pub tram. Loved it. It was a perfect way to end the day before our return to the ship. The pub tram is close to the main train station. We had a few beers with our friends as the tram took us on a 45 minute ride around the city. We walked down the Esplanade and then returned to the ship.

Helsinki is a very very easy city to do on your own!

You can buy a 1 day public transportation pass, it was 6 euros last summer when I went.

That got me use of the bus from the pier (we were docked all the way out at Munkisaari), the ferry from Market Square to Suomenlinna Island, and then the 3T/3B tram around the city. It was well worth it.

The things in Helsinki that I enjoyed visiting were:

Tempeliaukkio - the Rock Church is GORGEOUS. and a must see. only a 2 block walk from the the tram, but a little uphill.

Sibelius Monument - a little bit hard to find from the tram stop, but beautiful nonetheless.

Market Square - a great place to do some shopping, and it leads to the Esplanade. You can also catch the ferry to Suomenlinna island from here. also, this is a good place to catch the 3T/3B tram

Senate Square - nice views of this very modern looking city.

Lutheran Cathedral - it dominates Senate Square. It's a beautiful structure. clean and simple. worth walking up the steps to take a look.

Esplanade - a good place to grab a bite to eat or do some shopping, or people watching. during the summer months, they also sometimes hold outdoor concerts. also there are street performers.

Suomenlinna Island - a nice little excursion from Market Square. about 15 minutes by ferry that leaves hourly. it's a nice way to walk around and do a little exploration, or go to the visitors center and get a guided tour of the island and it's strategic military history.

I never made it to Uspenski theater, but I hear that that is lovely too.

We are in Helsinki on cruise ship at the same place you were last year. Is there a place to buy the public transport ticket at the pier? What is the cost? I read somewhere it was 2.25 E for trip into city. What is it called? Was it for 1 day ? Does it include the ferry ride?

YOu have been very helpful,

janines

You can buy the ticket on any bus or tram - and yes, a bus does stop right at the pier. You need to check which pier you will dock at because there are different buses that go to different piers. We took the 16 bus from the Hernesaari Berth and could connect with the 3t. We just asked the driver for the one day tourist pass. It was 6 euros for all day.

We are in Helsinki on cruise ship at the same place you were last year. Is there a place to buy the public transport ticket at the pier? What is the cost? I read somewhere it was 2.25 E for trip into city. What is it called? Was it for 1 day ? Does it include the ferry ride?

YOu have been very helpful,

janines

When I went last year, I bought the ticket from the bus driver when I got on the bus. The ticket is called a "tourist ticket." When we arrived at the pier, we were greeted by a couple of members of the TI. I asked them where the bus stop was for the bus that went in to Market Square. It is bus #16 that you would need to take. The walk from the pier to the bus stop is about 8-10 minutes, the majority of that is walking to get out from the shipyard area. Once outside, the walk to the bus stop itself isn't too far.

When I got onboard the bus, I told the driver that I needed a one-day "tourist ticket" and he understood. The cost last year was 6,00 euros per person. And yes, I believe a single ride ticket was about 2,20 euros. We figured that with the cost of the tram and the ferry to Suomenlinna, it was worth getting the tourist ticket.

The website below may be able to help you with maps, ticket prices and types, etc.

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/HKL_en/Artikkeli?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/hkl/en/Tickets/Ticket+types

And yes, the tourist ticket includes the public ferry to Suomenlinna. You will need to look for HKL public ferry. From the Market Square area, there are a few ferry companies that operate out to Suomenlinna, and only the HKL one is included in the price of the tourist ticket.

If you wanted to get on the 3T/3B tram that the TI advertises as a tourist tram, you can get that from the Market Square area as well.

The only thing you'll need to ask about is the return trip on the #16 bus back to Munkisaari pier when you are ready to return.... you can stop by the TI located on the Esplanade (all right around there) or there are TI personnell who walk around the Esplanade as well wearing vests that you can identify. You'll need to ask them where the bus stop is for Bus #16 to take you back to Esplanade, it's not exactly intuitive where you would wait for the bus, and the bus stop sign is a little bit hidden.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer. I tried to take detailed notes of my trip.

When I went last year, I bought the ticket from the bus driver when I got on the bus. The ticket is called a "tourist ticket." When we arrived at the pier, we were greeted by a couple of members of the TI. I asked them where the bus stop was for the bus that went in to Market Square. It is bus #16 that you would need to take. The walk from the pier to the bus stop is about 8-10 minutes, the majority of that is walking to get out from the shipyard area. Once outside, the walk to the bus stop itself isn't too far.

When I got onboard the bus, I told the driver that I needed a one-day "tourist ticket" and he understood. The cost last year was 6,00 euros per person. And yes, I believe a single ride ticket was about 2,20 euros. We figured that with the cost of the tram and the ferry to Suomenlinna, it was worth getting the tourist ticket.

The website below may be able to help you with maps, ticket prices and types, etc.

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/HKL_en/Artikkeli?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/hkl/en/Tickets/Ticket+types

And yes, the tourist ticket includes the public ferry to Suomenlinna. You will need to look for HKL public ferry. From the Market Square area, there are a few ferry companies that operate out to Suomenlinna, and only the HKL one is included in the price of the tourist ticket.

If you wanted to get on the 3T/3B tram that the TI advertises as a tourist tram, you can get that from the Market Square area as well.

The only thing you'll need to ask about is the return trip on the #16 bus back to Munkisaari pier when you are ready to return.... you can stop by the TI located on the Esplanade (all right around there) or there are TI personnell who walk around the Esplanade as well wearing vests that you can identify. You'll need to ask them where the bus stop is for Bus #16 to take you back to Esplanade, it's not exactly intuitive where you would wait for the bus, and the bus stop sign is a little bit hidden.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer. I tried to take detailed notes of my trip.

Hey... thanks so much! We leave 2 weeks from today to start our vacation. Thanks for the info about Helsinki. We were a little lost as to what to do. Did you happen to do the Pub Tram? It looks fun. Anyone know if they serve more than beer?

Is the Rock Church easy to find from the stop? Do you happen to remember the name of the tram stop?

Thanks so much!

Hey... thanks so much! We leave 2 weeks from today to start our vacation. Thanks for the info about Helsinki. We were a little lost as to what to do. Did you happen to do the Pub Tram? It looks fun. Anyone know if they serve more than beer?

Is the Rock Church easy to find from the stop? Do you happen to remember the name of the tram stop?

Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, I didn't do the Pub Tram, so I can't answer that.

As for the Rock Church, it was relatively easy to find. I believe that if you get on the tram from Esplanade/Market Square, the Rock Church is the 6th stop (that is from memory, so don't hold me to it). There is an online map somewhere of the different stops for the 3T/3B tram that tells you which stops to exit for which attractions. When we got off the tram, we asked the driver how to get to the Rock Church and he pointed the way.

When you are on the tram, you actually pass the Rock Church first and then the tram stops, so we actually saw the Church location because of all of the tour buses parked out front. When you exit the tram, you walk back in the direction you just came from. When you reach the first intersection, you'll want to turn left to go uphill. You should see the tour buses by now. It's about one block uphill where the street ends and runs right into the church. It's hard to miss.

Have a great time. You'll love Helsinki!

Unfortunately, I didn't do the Pub Tram, so I can't answer that.

As for the Rock Church, it was relatively easy to find. I believe that if you get on the tram from Esplanade/Market Square, the Rock Church is the 6th stop (that is from memory, so don't hold me to it). There is an online map somewhere of the different stops for the 3T/3B tram that tells you which stops to exit for which attractions. When we got off the tram, we asked the driver how to get to the Rock Church and he pointed the way.

When you are on the tram, you actually pass the Rock Church first and then the tram stops, so we actually saw the Church location because of all of the tour buses parked out front. When you exit the tram, you walk back in the direction you just came from. When you reach the first intersection, you'll want to turn left to go uphill. You should see the tour buses by now. It's about one block uphill where the street ends and runs right into the church. It's hard to miss.

Have a great time. You'll love Helsinki!

Thanks so much! That is good to know that you actually pass the church. It sounds very cool! I think we will brave it like you did and do the bus thing, and then the tram thing. I am about max'ed out on spending money and this sounds like something that can be done without spending a whole lot.

Heta,

Thanks for all your help. As for what to buy, I'd like a little something for myself. I've heard someone mention jewelry with reindeer antlers? Mostly, I want to find something that I will always remember Helsinki by.

Thanks again.

ItaliaBella,

There is shop called Aarikka http://www.aarikka.fi/en.php that has a wonderful range of jewelry, wooden beads and such and have a reindeer theme. For jewelry from antlers your best bet would probably be the market place by the harbour.

Design Forum Shop http://www.designforum.fi/designforumfinland_en and the Design District http://www.designdistrict.fi/design_district focus on Finnish Design and offer a broad range to choose from. (I've bought things from here to send back to my family in Australia, small and easy on the postage!).

I hope you find the perfect Helsinki reminder!

Cheers

Heta

The Pub Tram also serves sodas and bottled water. The tram is easy to find. If you are standing in front of the main train station (looking at the train station), it is one block to the right on the same side of the street.

The 3T has an online map that you can print out - it shows all of the stops and tells you what is at each stop.

If you want to find your souvenirs under one roof, and all the famous Finnish products like tableware and glassware, at good prices, go to the STOCKMANN department store! I had a ball, and it didn't break the bank either!!!! (I believe that you can claim tax back if you are a non-EU resident - there's a special office for that).

As for the Rock Church, it was relatively easy to find. I believe that if you get on the tram from Esplanade/Market Square, the Rock Church is the 6th stop (that is from memory, so don't hold me to it). When you are on the tram, you actually pass the Rock Church first and then the tram stops, so we actually saw the Church location because of all of the tour buses parked out front. When you exit the tram, you walk back in the direction you just came from.

The tram stop is named "Kauppakorkeakoulut / Handelshögskolorna" and yes, you walk back in the direction you just came from. Then to the left and two blocks up the hill. The tram will not actually pass the Church itself but as mentioned you might possible see the tour buses parked on the hill for a second when you pass.

Attached is a link for the 3T / 3B tram route map. I printed this and brought it with me.....it helped a lot!

If you can not click on it - just copy and paste it in your browser. It will open a file.

http://www.hel.fi/wps/wcm/connect/8477a4804a17377d9402fc3d8d1d4668/3T_english_2007_net.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

generally speaking, these maps should be available, in english when you get on the tram as well.

however, when i got on the tram, they had the brochures available in all sorts of language, just not english as they had run out.

but really, the map is all you need. but it's probably best to bring your own with you printed in english

In 2004, we took Celebrity's shuttle into town (free at the time) and walked around town including the Esplanade, Rock Church, Sibelius Monument, and Olympic Village. We also spent a couple hours at the National Museum with prehistoric to present day exhibits. It was extremely fascinating for me as my ancestors might have settled in Finland around 8,000bc (DNA testing suggests that) and lived there until the early 1900s. The exhibits included that era of the earliest non-Saami settlers, so I was very entralled with that. Some of my ancient ancestors' bones & tools could have been in those cases! We're very much into archaeology anyway. I recommend the museum to those of you who share similar archaeology interests.

National Museum:

http://www.nba.fi/en/nmf

Kathy

First off - a big thanks to Ultima Thule for all the advice. We just returned from the Baltics & put it to good use. We docked at West Harbor LHB and planned to take public transit into town, but were discouraged by the TI folks that met the ship. Helsinki was hosting a Samba Festival that day and many public transit routes were affected. So we hopped a shuttle (US$10 return) to the Swedish Theatre. At 8:45am, we had downtown to ourselves! We walked down Esplanade towards the water, taking note of awesome buildings like Hotel Kamp and Café Kappeli. At Market Square, we hopped Tram 3T and purchased a One-Day Ticket from the driver (6 Euros). We stayed on for the entire circuit (50 min) and then got off at Toolo Square second time around. This was the closest stop for Sibelius Monument. After seeing it, we continued to Rock Church, an easy 10 min walk. The atmosphere inside the Church was peaceful and inviting, despite being crafted of stone and rock. We returned to Market Square for lunch, this time taking Tram 3B in the opposite direction. After lunch we visited the nearby Uspenski and Lutheran Cathedrals and saw weddings at both! We then joined the locals along the Esplanade to watch the Samba Parade until about 3:30pm, when we went to the Helsinki Arctic IceBar in La Bodega Restaurant. We paid 10 Euros, donned thermal ponchos and entered for our cool experience. But it was a big disappointment. The room was dark & small with no ambiance and a sullen bartender. We had an Absolut Vodka cocktail and were out in under 15 minutes. Box ticked. We walked back to Swedish Theatre and caught the shuttle back to ship. We loved Helsinki – it was a lively, vibrant place full of happy and helpful people. And very easy to do on your own.

Archived