Which HOHO Buss London?

We were in London and chose The Big Bus because stop #1 was a block from our hotel on Picadilly. Having just gotten off an overnight flight and not able to get into our room that early in the morning, we sat upstairs and made the entire circuit without venturing off. We had blue skies and sunshine and a live commentator. It was fun and we would recommend it again. There was more than one route and I think we could have gotten on a canal cruise too - but didn't. It gave us ideas about what we wanted to do when we returned to London for a day after our cruise.

My advice to those looking to ride the HOHO bus system in London is to look at each one's brochure and pick the one that fits what you want to see.They are basically the same butr some routes do very.Alomost everyone has a fav and they are all different.There are brochures to look at in all the hotels.

We are staying at County Hall (Belvedere Rd) in October. After an overnight flight and check-in at the hotel around 11 AM would we be able to get a ticket closeby that will let us ride the bus for 24 hrs (either Big Bus or Original Red Tour )and get the free River cruise? From my reading of the website info, you have to get the ticket for the cruise at one of their 'depots'??

We will be bleary eyed - and it would be so much easier if we knew before hand how to go about this.

Thanks,

Dot

We are staying at County Hall (Belvedere Rd) in October. After an overnight flight and check-in at the hotel around 11 AM would we be able to get a ticket closeby that will let us ride the bus for 24 hrs (either Big Bus or Original Red Tour )and get the free River cruise? From my reading of the website info, you have to get the ticket for the cruise at one of their 'depots'??

We will be bleary eyed - and it would be so much easier if we knew before hand how to go about this.

Thanks,

Dot

You can buy your tickets on the bus or right by the bus stop from oen of the epople who work for the the bus and help people by the stops...no problem.They can answer any question you have as well.Take a 30 minute nap befor you go out(no mopre than that) amd trust me you will be fine and rearing to go.Have a fun trip.

I had looked on line and both looked good, just didn't know if there was much diffenence. Doesn't sound like it. I'll just see which one is closer. Thanks Trish

The only difference used to be that one used live commentary and the other had audio..some of the live guys were pretty funny if one had a good sense of humor:D Like I said before...look at the routes some longer some not.Have fun.:)

The Original Bus offers a discount if you show them the Rick Steves guidebook, at least in 2006 they did. That was worth 2.50 GBP each. We made good use of the 24hr ticket and the river boat cruise.

We will have a port stop in Harwich (Sunday) and will only spend the day in London. I know it isn't enough, but is the hop on hop off bus tour the best way to go? It sure worked for us in Rome.

I enjoy all things Elizabeth the 1st, but want to see everything I can.

Thank you,

Sharie

Eurodam 4/25/09

We did the Big Bus in April and were very happy with it. The route is divided into a blue route and red route. The red route has live commentary instead of those annoying earphones. The gent we had was very informative and entertaining. The river cruise was included but we didn't have time to do it.

London is a very beautiful city with something interesting around every corner so I think the hopon hopoff bus is a great way to get a good overview.

The only problem we had was at the end of the day when the buses shut down. The stops get really crowded as everyone tries to get on before the last bus rolls. Best to head back to the hotel abit early I would think.

Also it goes w/o saying that the best views are on the open top area.

Does anyone know how long we should leave to get back to Harwich on a Sunday, ship leaves at 8pm. I am assuming there is a train for each way into London.
Sundays are difficult for two reasons:-
  1. Generally, there are no direct trains from London to Harwich on Sundays. All (or almost all) involve changing somewhere along the line. This adds time to your journey.
  2. In addition, the majority of engineering works are done at weekends, and Sunday travel in particular is often disrupted by this. There are many occasions on which some of the journey involves changing to a bus to take you to somewhere beyond where the work is taking place.

So the best thing to do first is to look at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk where you'll find timetables for the particular day that you're interested in, together with information about service disruptions.

Archived