golden eagle excursion

vmom

We're thinking of the Golden Eagle catamaran excursion.

For anyone who has been on it:

Was it crowded? How crowded or not crowded?

How was the snorkeling?

Did you have much time after the excursion for some shopping?

Thanks!

the golden eagle excursion is our favorite! we go every time we are in st. maarten. it's not too crowded and they take you to great snorkeling spots. if the waters are calm enough, they take you to isle de tintamaar off the coast, which in uninhabited and gorgeous. be aware that it is clothing optional.

if the waters are choppy or if it's windy, they usually will take you to mullet bay, which is also off the french side of island, which is again, clothing optional. it is not uncommon to see lots of skin!

the staff of the golden eagle is attentive and wonderful. they will swim out to where you are floating or snorkeling to bring you a rum punch! :)

and yes, you will have time to shop around in st. maarten once you get back. you just take a water taxi from where the golden eagle docks right across a little bay and you're there.

hope that helps! :)

<snip>

if the waters are choppy or if it's windy, they usually will take you to mullet bay, which is also off the french side of island, which is again, clothing optional. it is not uncommon to see lots of skin!

the staff of the golden eagle is attentive and wonderful. they will swim out to where you are floating or snorkeling to bring you a rum punch! :)

<snip>

Mullet Bay Beach is on the Dutch side of the island, and is a very family-oriented beach, especially on the weekends, when it is popular with local families out for the day. I don't believe that you would EVER see nudity, and probably not even much toplessness.

The Golden Eagle does not serve any alcohol until AFTER the snorkeling stop.

gary

We went on the Golden Eagle, also. Ages were 50,49,43,19,16,7,6. This excursion fit all our needs. We went to the "deserted island" to snorkel - had a great time - watch out for sea urchins!! My teens loved this excursion, and if you have teens, you know that is a victory! We were tempted to do it again in December, but my teens wanted an "older" challenge, so we are trying the America Cup regatta excursion. BUT... the 3 other families we are cruising with are all booked on the Golden Eagle. (their kids are 8-10 years younger) We have used Golden Eagle in Nassau, and another island (sorry - senior moment) They all seem to be well-run. And they do not serve alcohol until you are done snorkeling - they are very careful about that!!

We did this excursion last year with our then 4 year old. It was a blast!!! We went to the private island....so beautiful!! The snorkeling and swimming were fabulous! I can't say enough about this excursion!!! FYI...we didn't see any nude sunbathers....we did run into a peacock on the island!

I highly recommend this one!! Enjoy!

We did this excursion last year with our then 4 year old. It was a blast!!! We went to the private island....so beautiful!! The snorkeling and swimming were fabulous! I can't say enough about this excursion!!! FYI...we didn't see any nude sunbathers....we did run into a peacock on the island!

I highly recommend this one!! Enjoy!

Hey you!!!!! I saw this and had to laugh! I am here looking at this board because of you!!

I hope I can convince DH to take this excursion!

We did this as a RCCL excursion from Liberty OTS. I wrote a review of it but didn't realize I broke the rules for posting (can't start a thread with a review), so I'll just offer some highlights others haven't mentioned.

We sailed to Tintamarre. The water was choppy on the way; several people in the back of the boat actually got seasick. Nobody in the front had any problems, so I'd advise staying near the front or middle. On the ride back the back was deserted, everyone stayed up front!

The drinks were excellent and plentiful (only after snorkeling). Snorkeling itself wasn't great unless you exerted some effort and swam out about 100 yards. The ham/cheese hoagies were better than they sound; beers were Coors Lite or Heineken (both free) besides the rum drinks.

We did see a number of nudists; many covered up after we arrived. I did the mud bath at Tintamarre - walk over the sand dunes and there's water pits where you can lather yourself with mud - very refreshing. We even explored the island a bit.

Haven't seen this mentioned: as soon as we got on the GE they took our shoes - you go barefoot the whole time. Not a problem unless you plan on exploring the island - the paths are stony and rocky. Either ask if you can have your shoes on shore, or bring an extra pair.

Most important for anyone to know: I would definitely do the excursion again if I was in St Maarten.

I think it was $89 pp, but don't hold me to that #. Interesting, though - I just went to my CCL booking page, and the Golden Eagle is NOT listed anymore for our Dec. sailing! I doubt it is sold out, but I guess you never know. 10 other family/friends are already booked on that excursion - they'd better check that it wasn't canceled.

Archived