Quick Glacier Bay Question

tapia

I'm leaving to go on my trip tomorrow. YAY! (ship doesn't leave until Sunday though)

I know I'm asking this question last minute, but I'd appreciate any response I can get.

I'm on the HAL Westerdam and the itinerary says:

10 AM - approximate entry to Glacier Bay National Park

1 PM - Lamplough Glacier Viewing

1:45 PM - John Hopkins Glacier Viewing

3:30 PM - Majorie Glacier Viewing

6 PM - Departure from Glacier Bay National Park

If you "enter" the park at 10, can you see things right away? The reason I ask if because I'm pregnant and I don't want to be outside for longer than I'd have to be...... Otherwise I'd be out bright and early waiting to see things.

For anyone who's been on HAL, do you remember the timing of when things happened? I can't imagine staying on deck from 10am - 6pm, so I was thinking someone can give me some insight?

Thank you!

Hey tapia,

I'm not sure which direction you will enter Glacier Bay from on your cruise but you want to be on deck when you go through Icy Straight as the wildlife through here makes for great viewing. If I was a betting man I would suggest you will more than likely cruise through Icy Straight after leaving Glacier bay on your cruise, but I am sure someone could tell you definately.

The visit to Glacier Bay is definitely long since it’s so big – 55-60 miles long. If you can’t be out for all of the glaciers, then I would try to be out at least for Margerie. It tends to be fairly cooperative in calving and is also the turnaround point in the bay. If your ship gets closer to Lamplugh than ours did on our visits, then you might want to try to see it. Johns Hopkins is beautiful, but you won’t likely get very close to it due to restrictions for protecting wildlife. We have visited on NCL and Princess and don’t know what HAL might do differently, but that would be my general recommendation.

Tapia,

I'll be on the Westerdam on July 20 and was wondering where you got such detailed information about the sights and timing through Glacier Bay. Thanks.

I got it off of a previous Westerdam traveler's detailed schedule. I also have all the daily activities they were so nice to write up.

I know the timing in Glacier Bay may change a bit, but if they tell me 2 hours prior, then at least I'll know that much information and can apply it to my own schedule :-)

I was on deck about an hour before our "official entry" into Glacier Bay 2 weeks ago.

There were countless sea otters, I spied a humpback whale, lots of dolphins. On the way back out pretty much saw the same array as well as sea lions.

The 10am entry into the park is if you are southbound out of Whittier/Seward. If you are northbound you will enter around 6am. The lower bay is forested but about an hour prior to entering the bay and a half hour after entering the bay is the best time to see humpback whales. The rangers board at the entrance but don't start broadcasting until Queen Inlet. Just after that you will pass Reid Glacier on the left and then will either go to Lamplugh and Johns Hopkins or to Margerie first depending on whether there is another ship in the bay. This is around 2 1/2 hours after entering the bay. You should plan on spending time outside at Marjorie and at least going out to take some pictures at Lamplugh and JH.

I don't know the layout of your ship, but ours had a lounge at the front and a lot of people picked a chair and spent most of the day inside checking the sights. If you have that option, you might want to do that if it's cold.

I would suggest spending as much time outside as you can physically manage. It's absolutely gorgeous. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. just as we entered and we were outside from about 6:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. (in May). It was chilly (lucky for us, the sun was out), but it was worth every second. The scenery is fantastic. Otters, whales, mountain goats were a few of the things seen from our ship.

Hope you have a great time!

I couldn’t agree more; get outside as much as you can. I won’t be in Glacier Bay until mid August, so I won’t have as much daylight as you but I plan on being outside when it gets daylight. The main reason I am returning to Alaska for the third time is because of the scenery and wildlife, so I want to maximise my viewing time and this part of the world is awesome!

I don't know the layout of your ship, but ours had a lounge at the front and a lot of people picked a chair and spent most of the day inside checking the sights. If you have that option, you might want to do that if it's cold.

This was our option for the early part of our cruise entry into GBNP on the Ryndam a bit over a week ago. It was damn cold on deck when I visited there, but the Crows Nest lounge was great, and I think the Westerdam is of a similar configuration.

Enjoy, as we did.

This was our option for the early part of our cruise entry into GBNP on the Ryndam a bit over a week ago. It was damn cold on deck when I visited there, but the Crows Nest lounge was great, and I think the Westerdam is of a similar configuration.

Enjoy, as we did.

The Westerdam now has the Explorations Cafe on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest. A few people arrived at 6 AM and moved the puzzle tables over to the windows and camped out there all day - tables were for their breakfast and lunch.

The 10am entry into the park is if you are southbound out of Whittier/Seward. If you are northbound you will enter around 6am. The lower bay is forested but about an hour prior to entering the bay and a half hour after entering the bay is the best time to see humpback whales. The rangers board at the entrance but don't start broadcasting until Queen Inlet. Just after that you will pass Reid Glacier on the left and then will either go to Lamplugh and Johns Hopkins or to Margerie first depending on whether there is another ship in the bay. This is around 2 1/2 hours after entering the bay. You should plan on spending time outside at Marjorie and at least going out to take some pictures at Lamplugh and JH.

Not on the Westerdam. It is round trip from Seattle. The first day is a sea day and the second day is Glacier Bay. We started in at 10 AM.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking over some of the threads I posted on and found all of the wonderful replies to this thread. I will be on the Westerdam in a few days and can't wait to spend the day going through Glacier Bay. And, now I know exactly where to be and what not to miss!!:D

It can be very cold on deck so pack a warm coat, hat, and gloves. You might not need them but if you do, you will be glad to have them. Glacier Bay was a hightlight of my trip and I spent all day either on deck or my balcony.

I think I got out on our balcony at 6:30 am and stayed outside until 2pm or so. I didn't want to miss a second and everything was really "eye candy." Drank coffee in the am and then moved to mimosas....it was tough! We came well prepared with silk undies, base layers, mid layers, jacket and wind breaker....gloves, scarf and hat. I was toasty the entire time and I had to start stripping. We saw orcas entering and lots of humpbacks so there really is a lot going on besides the scenery. I hope you have sun as the mountain peaks in the distant are stunning.

Jane T and Tapia,

We'll be joining you Sunday on the Westerdam. Perhaps we'll meet on deck! We do have a balcony, so some time will be spent there.

Loved Cocokai's response...Start with Coffee and move on to Mimosa, etc. later!

We've been to Alaska once before, but never Glacier Bay...can't wait!

Vicki

• 3 weeks later...
The Westerdam now has the Explorations Cafe on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest. A few people arrived at 6 AM and moved the puzzle tables over to the windows and camped out there all day - tables were for their breakfast and lunch.

That's being a bit of a hog.

Archived