Very Dissapointed w/ Celebrity Customer Service

Live4Miles

I have been on cruises where the decision was made by the CD or Hotel manager to change the dress code based on itinerary. They did this on my Galaxy Panama cruise. Everything said 3 formal nights, but when we boarded the daily said just two.

Hi Chessbriar :)

We had the opposite experience on our recent 12 night cruise on Brilliance of the Seas. Everything I read prior to the cruise indicated it would have 2 formal nights, but once we were on the ship it was changed to 3 formal nights.

That was a non issue for my husband because he wore the same tux for all three formal nights. However, I didn't bring three different formal outfits so I decided to wear an outfit that I planned to wear for one of the middle dress code nights. Since it was a long silk skirt with a nice top, it worked out well.

Two of the formal nights were on sea days, but the third one was the day we were in Ephesus, Turkey, where we took a 6 hour tour that was exhausting. Yet, we both managed to dress for formal night, even though it was not the ideal night for it.

This is amazing. The communication from Vanessa Sells I quoted is clearly from Celebrity about Celebrity. You seem to imply above that Celebrity's dress code can be legitimately changed at will on any ship on any sailing. Is this what you really mean? Surely not.

You later posted two links. Please read your first link again. The title for the complete link is "Proper Dining Attire. Your second link has been discussed elsewhere on this thread.

I dress in a dark suit for formal dinners, but at a minimum, remove my tie after dinner. I am still conforming to the dress code.

Bob :rolleyes:

What is actually amazing is that Vanessa Sells just changed Celebrity policy which has been in effect since the cruise line was started in the early 1990s.

Bob, you’re taking your tie off after dinner on formal nights? OMG! :eek: Abandon Ship!;) Joel

That was just the minimum. I may even change to slacks and a sport shirt, as others have said they do.:D

Bob :rolleyes:

With all due respect, the "official dress policy" can hardly be contained in a daily newspaper once you are already on board!!!

Isn't this the essence of what the OP was complaining about. The Celebrity website is NOT obviously clear about attire in the evenings outside of the dining room.

As with the new Sm-king Policy (dare I mention the word?), after about 10 days of debate here about passengers needing to be properly informed before booking, Celebrity eventually put a bright red link at the top of their website. Once they have eventually formulated a clear and unambiguous Dress Policy, maybe they should do the same.

It certainly is true that many people choose their cruise based on the dress policy, but we certainly do not - our upcoming cruise was based purely on a port and a date - nothing more.

Roy

There must be a lot of good common sense in South Africa. You certainly have it.

Some here, and on the other thread where there are many posters from this thread, continue to maintain that the captain and crew on a ship can do as they please with regard to dress codes. For example: "Bob, that is the case. The dress code is subject to change by people on the ship depending on itinerary. I've experienced this." This type of statement is often followed by examples of changes in numbers of formal nights, etc. This is not the dress code.

The captain necessarily has the authority to make decisions regarding the safety of the ship and the well-being of the passengers and crew. Surely Celebrity has not given him or any others complete authority to do whatever they may decide about any matter. Even the captain of a U. S. Navy vessel does not have complete authority to do whatever he pleases.

If some of you think the ship's captain has the authority to change company policy and rules at a whim, then I suppose he could change the liquor rules, or the payouts of the slot machines, or any number of other things. But you don't really think this, do you?

Roy got it right. Quoted statements are in disagreement with Celebrity's corporate policy. For example "Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship." is contrary to information on the Celebrity website. Cruisers should not be expected to follow such an arbitrary and capricious rule set by some individual in a particular ship's crew.

Bob :cool:

There must be a lot of good common sense in South Africa. You certainly have it.

Some here, and on the other thread where there are many posters from this thread, continue to maintain that the captain and crew on a ship can do as they please with regard to dress codes. For example: "Bob, that is the case. The dress code is subject to change by people on the ship depending on itinerary. I've experienced this." This type of statement is often followed by examples of changes in numbers of formal nights, etc. This is not the dress code.

The captain necessarily has the authority to make decisions regarding the safety of the ship and the well-being of the passengers and crew. Surely Celebrity has not given him or any others complete authority to do whatever they may decide about any matter. Even the captain of a U. S. Navy vessel does not have complete authority to do whatever he pleases.

If some of you think the ship's captain has the authority to change company policy and rules at a whim, then I suppose he could change the liquor rules, or the payouts of the slot machines, or any number of other things. But you don't really think this, do you?

Roy got it right. Quoted statements are in disagreement with Celebrity's corporate policy. For example "Following are the required modes of attire for the evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship." is contrary to information on the Celebrity website. Cruisers should not be expected to follow such an arbitrary and capricious rule set by some individual in a particular ship's crew.

Bob :cool:

Sorry, that arbitrary and capricious policy has been in effect since Celebrity began operations in 1990 and has always been in documents sent out by Celebrity and on the web site. I would venture to say before this individual went on her cruise it was on the web site since the change you are commenting about is recent. Compliance by the way was almost universal on all Celebrity ships until recent times. We have to see what occurs when this new dress code policy is released.

Also, here is Celebrity's current web site which clearly states evening and not just dining room.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000xJgrefnoB6MYndWvQyFYhgd:12hdbcveb?pagename=proper_dining_attire

Also, here is Celebrity's current web site which clearly states evening and not just dining room.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000xJgrefnoB6MYndWvQyFYhgd:12hdbcveb?pagename=proper_dining_attire

This is what the page says, after clicking on "Proper Dining Attire"

dining_attire_hdr.gif

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm.

After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés.

Everything on this page SCREAMS what to wear while dining.

The references to evening attire throughout the ship are contained in a series of FAQ subjects. (Do people that battle to send an email or google anything have ANY idea what a FAQ is? they may even be too scared to click on a link like that!! :D )

I suggest we wait and see what the new policy states and how clear it is.

Oh, wasn't going to mention this, but we ABSOLUTELY ADORE formal nights, so I'm not sure whose side I am on here. :confused:

Roy & Val

Like you Ardy I love the formal nights and adore getting dressed up My problem is which dresses to take. I can't pass a rail with evening wear that says SALE!!

I will have a problem with weight but I will pay the excess baggage on Jet2 with a measley 17K. I think £6 per KILO.

NZ with Singapore Airlines I have got an increase in my baggage as I have some medical equipment to take with me. Weighs around 1K but they have increased my baggage allowance to 25K (£29 per kilo for Excess)

At that level I should be OK. Come all you X cruises and get your GLAD RAGS on.

Sue

This is what the page says, after clicking on "Proper Dining Attire"

Everything on this page SCREAMS what to wear while dining.

The references to evening attire throughout the ship are contained in a series of FAQ subjects. (Do people that battle to send an email or google anything have ANY idea what a FAQ is? they may even be too scared to click on a link like that!! :D )

I suggest we wait and see what the new policy states and how clear it is.

Oh, wasn't going to mention this, but we ABSOLUTELY ADORE formal nights, so I'm not sure whose side I am on here. :confused: Roy & Val

This information is posted under a section of the website called Dinning in a subsection called Dinning attire and confirms that both Main Dinning room and Specialty Restaurant follow the EVENING dress code. What else would you expect to find under such a section? As you pointed out this is not the only place you will find evening dress codes on the Celebrity website. They also say to refer to your daily onboard as your guide to EVENING attire.

I have a feeling much will change once the official release is posted by Celebrity as to changes in dress codes expected effective August 1st. :confused:

Roy, I think you flipped your position on this post.:)

Joel

Archived