key west pub crawl

ocut

If you've never done the pub crawl, your missing the point. It's not about drinking. It's about having fun. You get a very entertaining tour of the bar district of Key West and get some fun stories about the Island. I would reccommend this for anyone that is not interested in the high priced excursion and just wants to have fun, especially if this is your first visit to Key West.

I'm in agreement here, it is our first visit. I will be glad to have a guide who can make sure I can "crawl" back on the ship!:p

We did this in Feb. The bars we stopped at were Red fish, Blue Fish; Island Dogs; Schooner Wharf; and Rick's

While we probably would have spent the same amount of money for 4 or 5 drinks, we also got a tour of the area with history and other fun tidbits, had a conch blowing contest and met lots of new people. If the 5 of us that were cruising together tried to do it on our own, we would have argued over where to go, how to get there (since none of us had ever been to key west before) and wasted half the day. It was just easier with a guide and a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive Done This Twice (with Different Groups Of Friends) And Yes, We Could Have Made Our Way Around But I Know We Never Would Have Made It To Schooners Wharf (or Heard Michael Mcleod)..the Crawl Was More About Making New Friends On The Ship And After Hitting 5 Bars In 2 1/2 Hours Beginning At 10:30a You Are Bonded For Life ( Or 5 Days Depending On The Cruise) So Try It Once Its Fun And You Get A T-shirt Out Of It

I did a pub crawl back in March. My friends and I had the best time! We went to about 6 bars, had plenty of drinks, met interesting people, learned about the history there and even got a shirt. I think it's worth to try the crawl at least once. It's was great experience. I would def do it again!

• 1 month later...

Just back from our Enchantment cruise last week-

there were 6 of us- all girls in our 30 & 40's- left the DH's at home-

We had the BEST time-

Our tour guide Brian was the BEST:D

He really made the tour with his jokes, etc-

I highly recommend the crawl-

although we did do the crawl during FantasyFest- that might have had something to do with it:p

Point taken but you really don't have to pay for friends here. Once you're off Alley (Duval) that's where we are and we're quite proud of our little tropical island and love to brag about it. KW locals are known to be as friendly as you can get, cuz we're generally happy with life (and endless summer) and enjoy a good banter. All you need for a great afternoon is leaving any judgements on the boat!

• 3 months later...

My thoughts on this are that you get a t-shirt, which is about a $10 value, you get one drink at each bar, I don't know what the prices are per bar. figureing drinking a well drink at each location, I'm guessing about $8 per stop. That's a $50 vlue for $41??

I'd really like to know which Bars they stop at, seems to be some different information on that.

Chiming in to agree with those who consider paying for a pub crawl in KW a waste. It makes some sense in other stops, perhaps, but definitely not here. The area is so compact, go cups are permitted on the streets, and just strolling along, soaking up the vibe is the very best way to experience the place. Further, by not being hostage to set stops and times therein, you can stay longer at one place, less at another, and make your time there really yours. Save your money for another stop on your cruise.

Since there seems to be Key West locals on this thread I thought I would jump in a second…

We’ll be staying in the keys for a week this June, at a place in the Shipyard Condo’s area (is this a good area?) …I am not looking to do all the tourist things (well some) but what would you recommend for us to do or places to go that are more laid back. My DD is 9 and I would like to know places that we could go with her.

Also are there any breweries?

Thanks!!

Since there seems to be Key West locals on this thread I thought I would jump in a second…

We’ll be staying in the keys for a week this June, at a place in the Shipyard Condo’s area (is this a good area?) …I am not looking to do all the tourist things (well some) but what would you recommend for us to do or places to go that are more laid back. My DD is 9 and I would like to know places that we could go with her.

Also are there any breweries?

Thanks!!

The closest thing to a brewery is Kelly's on the corner of Caroline and Whitehead. (The restaurant is on the corner but the opening is a little bit south on Whitehead). They serve micro brews ($1.50) and good margeritas ($3.50) and conch fritters and hot wings ($3.50) during happy hour, 4:00 - 7:00. If you order the wings, ask for the sauce on the side.

The most fun in Key West or me is to have a three course meal...

1. Half-priced drinks and half-priced appitizers (everything except oysters) at Alonzo's at the Bight. They have three types of peel-yer-own shrimp, all of which are worth trying, and a bucket of clams, among other things. If you have crab legs, though, ask for Key Lime mustard instead of the butter.

2. Walk along the bight to the Conch Republic Seafood Co for 2-4-1 drinks. But only have 1 drink. They will give you a token for the freee drink, good during any happy hour..

3. Make a left and hit the Half Shell Raw Bar. They have .50 oysters and Key West Sunset ale during happy hour.

On your last night, go back to the Conch Republic Seafood Co., *now* have a dozen oysters, but drinks are free with all of those tokens you've accumulated.

Pjk

The closest thing to a brewery is Kelly's on the corner of Caroline and Whitehead. (The restaurant is on the corner but the opening is a little bit south on Whitehead). They serve micro brews ($1.50) and good margeritas ($3.50) and conch fritters and hot wings ($3.50) during happy hour, 4:00 - 7:00. If you order the wings, ask for the sauce on the side.

The most fun in Key West or me is to have a three course meal...

1. Half-priced drinks and half-priced appitizers (everything except oysters) at Alonzo's at the Bight. They have three types of peel-yer-own shrimp, all of which are worth trying, and a bucket of clams, among other things. If you have crab legs, though, ask for Key Lime mustard instead of the butter.

2. Walk along the bight to the Conch Republic Seafood Co for 2-4-1 drinks. But only have 1 drink. They will give you a token for the freee drink, good during any happy hour..

3. Make a left and hit the Half Shell Raw Bar. They have .50 oysters and Key West Sunset ale during happy hour.

On your last night, go back to the Conch Republic Seafood Co., *now* have a dozen oysters, but drinks are free with all of those tokens you've accumulated.

Pjk

Thank you for the great tips!!

I have to ask...what are conch fritters?

I've been thinking about this excursion, it sounds like fun and for the price, you can't beat it. Also, it's only 2.5 hours right? You still have plenty of time for shopping, and wandering around. Hmmmm, wonder if you can get a Pub Crawl tshirt at a shop?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think this bar crawl is well worth the money. It's only $40 and you get a drink at each stop (5 stops) and you get a free bar crawl tshirt! The drinks at all the spots were around $6 if you were to pay for them yourself, well for anything other than beer so to me that was a good deal and it lets you see all kinds of differant bars.

• 2 weeks later...

dident end up doing the pub craw but ended up at the flying monkey, and got tanked with the wife, awsome place, awsome bartender can't remember the name ball headed guy hooked us up on drinks

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from our 5 day cruise (Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville). We did the Pub Crawl in Key West and had an absolute BLAST!!!

Our tour guide was Capt Ron, a diehard member of the Conch Republic and he was awesome. Our stops included Durty Harry's, the Lazy Gecko, Schooner Wharf, the Flying Monkey, and we ended up at Rick's.

Several suggestions for those of you who decide to do the Pub Crawl:

1) If you skip breakfast, you will get trashed. Drinking on an empty stomach at 10:30 in the morning will put you on the express ramp to the Buzz Highway. Believe us, we know! :)

2) If your tour includes the Flying Monkey, get the Graineraid!! It's orange something and cream something mixed with grain alcohol. It tastes like a creamsicle, but beware! It is evil!! :D:D

3) If Capt Ron is your tour guide, a little flirting by a pretty girl will get you more free drink tickets than you can shake a stick at. The best tactic is to wait until the 3rd bar on the tour, then pour on the charm. By then, Capt Ron has already had a couple of drinks himself and the extra tickets seem to magically appear!!

4) After the Pub Crawl (appropriately named at that point if you followed suggestion #1) make your way a couple of blocks down Duval street, go to Margaritaville, and try a Loaded Landshark. This is our newest, most favoritest, drink. Basically, it's a Landshark beer filled to the top of the bottle with Margaritaville Lime Tequila. Nuff said!!

5) Don't forget your camera. You'll want to see pictures later of what you don't remember! :):):)

Bottom line is that the Pub Crawl is a lot of fun. Good friends and sunshine make it even better!!!

We just got back from our 5 day cruise (Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville). We did the Pub Crawl in Key West and had an absolute BLAST!!!

Our tour guide was Capt Ron, a diehard member of the Conch Republic and he was awesome. Our stops included Durty Harry's, the Lazy Gecko, Schooner Wharf, the Flying Monkey, and we ended up at Rick's.

Several suggestions for those of you who decide to do the Pub Crawl:

1) If you skip breakfast, you will get trashed. Drinking on an empty stomach at 10:30 in the morning will put you on the express ramp to the Buzz Highway. Believe us, we know! :)

2) If your tour includes the Flying Monkey, get the Graineraid!! It's orange something and cream something mixed with grain alcohol. It tastes like a creamsicle, but beware! It is evil!! :D:D

3) If Capt Ron is your tour guide, a little flirting by a pretty girl will get you more free drink tickets than you can shake a stick at. The best tactic is to wait until the 3rd bar on the tour, then pour on the charm. By then, Capt Ron has already had a couple of drinks himself and the extra tickets seem to magically appear!!

4) After the Pub Crawl (appropriately named at that point if you followed suggestion #1) make your way a couple of blocks down Duval street, go to Margaritaville, and try a Loaded Landshark. This is our newest, most favoritest, drink. Basically, it's a Landshark beer filled to the top of the bottle with Margaritaville Lime Tequila. Nuff said!!

5) Don't forget your camera. You'll want to see pictures later of what you don't remember! :):):)

Bottom line is that the Pub Crawl is a lot of fun. Good friends and sunshine make it even better!!!

Or if your a college kid that can make ron feel young again.....by the fourth and fifth bar I was double fisting....

Have any pics of me?? I won the conch blowing contest!!

EDIT: perhaps we were not on the same one....we were in key west on march 9th

• 2 months later...

Okay so now you guys have me all excited actually about the pub crawl!!! I'm cruising solo and have done so a few times before and it's really hit or miss if you meet people and make friends (Aside from the roll call friends that is). So I booked this excursion and now I am super excited I think it was the perfect choice for a single 26 year old alchoholic (well not really but when I am on vacation it seems that I turn into one)!! lol. I think it's more about meeting people and being in a group setting, thanks for all the great posts. I have been to key west numerous times and I can understand why alot of people say to do it on your own but they mean within your own group and I am a group of 1 so this will be great! That said if if my friends could have joined me we probably would not book this excursion.

Archived