Sandals on casual nights in dining room?

thehinsons4

The dress code says no beach flip flops.... but what do you consider beach flip flops??? i have a pair that are black thong with a thick heal that is kinda hard and has a woven foot bed like a basket.... to me i do not think that is a beach flip flop... so that is a gray area i think!!!

DH has actual "dress" sandals he wears to the dining room every night except formal. No need to pack socks (except for formal). He has regular flip-flops that are really nice looking, but he won't wear them to the dining room.

I will wear my "dressy" shoes, which are thong style with little heels.

Hello emt9898, Those sandals sound quite nice. I doubt if you'll have a problem with them. To be honest, I doubt if you'd have a problem with any kind of flip-flops, despite what the rules say.

Now don't get me wrong, 'cause I'm formal means formal, follow the rules kind of person. I won't be wearing flip-flops to dinner, I guarantee you. What I'm saying is that, with their new rules, Carnival has set themselves up an impossible task. In order to enforce these new rules, they will always find themselves splitting hairs, to decide what does or does not meet the criteria.

Are flip flops beach flip flops, if they are made out of leather. No way am I wearing my expensive leather flip flops on the beach. But they really are flp flops. So do they qualify, or not?

And look at sjcruiser's post above. He/she's talking about wearing a nice pair of black sandals with jean shorts. It kind of sounds like he intends to wear those outfits to casual dinner. Now if those jean shorts cost him a hefty sum, he may well consider them "dress shorts (long)", the criteria Carnival set in their new dress code. But I surely wouldn't consider any kind of Jean short to be dressy, no matter their color, condition or price.

But I wouldn't want to be the Carnival employee who has to stand at the door and tell people: your outfit qualifies, and yours does not. Which, you know isn't really going to happen anyway. Carnival never enforced it's old dress code, when it was simple and easy. They certainly aren't going to do it now, when the decisions are going to be based on such fine lines, as whether your flip flops are beach flip flops, or regular flip flops; or are your shorts long enough, or dressy enough.

Nope, they're not likely to stop you at the door. I predict: before long, people will be wearing whatever they want in Carnival dining rooms. Give it five or ten years, and you'll be able to show up in your wet bathing suit.

Sandals, even flip flops, are acceptable and I expect with the airlines charging more for the baggage people will be packing lighter and therefore you'll see more casual clothing inthe diningrooms.

We have a b2b coming up and I plan to pack very lightly and wearing sandals a lot!

Enjoy

See what I mean. Imlulu says straight out, that she intends to have her kids break the new dress code rules, and DST states the exact opposite of the policy is "acceptable".

Yup. It'll be bikinis at dinner by 2015. Perhaps they should name the dinning room on their next ship, for Orient Beach.

See what I mean. Imlulu says straight out, that she intends to have her kids break the new dress code rules, and DST states the exact opposite of the policy is "acceptable".

Yup. It'll be bikinis at dinner by 2015. Perhaps they should name the dinning room on their next ship, for Orient Beach.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not breaking the rules. The rule states that beach flip flops are not allowed. They arent wearing rubber beach flip flops. They are wearing flip flops that they wouldnt wear to the beach as they are too nice for that.Im also wearing some nice flip flops...so what??? You wont see my feet. They are under the table.;)

There is nothing in the new suggested dress code that prohibits sandals on any night, including formal. if it did half the women on the ship would have to go change their shoes, because IMO anything that is open toes is considered a sandal whether or not it has a heel.

The policy is clear, unless the footwear consists of "beach flip flops" it is OK to wear in the dining room.

Interesting where exactly did I state the opposite, Carnival is a more "casual" cruise line than others (ie HAL, RCCL, Costa) I suggest if you are offended by people wearing flip flops (I did not say plastic 1.50 flip flops) maybe you need to travel on the less "casual" cruise lines.

This goes right up there with people wearing jeans......which has already been beaten to death

You're proving my point for me. See, you're taking the new rules and you're splitting hairs.

Imlulu, no you didn't say they were wearing beach flip flops, AND you didn't say they would wear dressy ones either. And you did IMPLY that they were NOT dressy when you said you would tell later if they don't "get through."

DST: The Carnival FAQ page specifically prohibits beach flip-flops. You made the unqualified statement that "even flip flops, are acceptable." That is clearly stating the opposite of the rule. If you intended to say "even SOME flip flops" are acceptable, you should have said what you meant. Leave out the word "some" and that blanket statement is false.

BTW, DST, I have no objection to casual dress . You're reading too much into what I wrote and missing my point. My point was, that Carnival's new rules are just too open to interpretation. Everyone will have their opinion of what they think qualifies, and what does not. And those that don't want to take the time to clean up for dinner will just take the inch that the new rules provide and turn it into a mile. The inch in this case is the acceptability of "shorts" and any flip flops that can forswear their beachiness. The mile will be increasingly slovenly attire.

BTW, I have no objection to flip flops either. I've worn a pair of black leather and cork bottom flip flops to dinner on several ships. Besides, I don't think flip flops, in particular, nor sandals in general have ever even been addressed in any cruise line's dress code before Carnival's new code came out. Whether people wear flip flops and shorts is not an issue for me. But the slippery slope of people breaking the rules, is.

Sandals, even flip flops, are acceptable and I expect with the airlines charging more for the baggage people will be packing lighter and therefore you'll see more casual clothing inthe diningrooms.

We have a b2b coming up and I plan to pack very lightly and wearing sandals a lot!

Enjoy

OK here is what I said, so that you do not have to go back to the previous page......."sandals even flip flops are acceptable" - I did not say wear beach shoes (which is what plastic flip flops are) a pair of leather flip flops are acceptable. My main point was that people will be packing lighter due to the airports charging for everything now!

I will not pack my normal 10 pairs of shoes on our upcoming cruise, I will most likely downsize to 5 whcih will include flip flops.

not to split hairs - but beach flip flops are different from flip flops. People will always read what they want to read, and make their decisions based on what works for them. Almost like two people who read the same book will most likely have two different opinions/interpretations of it.

I would say use common sense but that also leaves way too much open

Archived