Capri Pants for Short People?

Hi, I have a question for you fashion cruisers. I will be going on my first ever cruise July 20 to the Mexican Riviera. I have been doing some clothes shopping for the trip and told my younger brother Mr GQ that I bought 2 nice capri pants sets with matching tops. Well, he told me because I am only 5'1" tall, have no waist, just breast, hips and long legs and am somewhat overweight, I should not be wearing capri pants. I should stay with shorts up to my knees or long pants. True I am not very fashion up to date, more on the conservitive side, but, no capri's? Its going to be hot and muggy overthere and I do not think it will make me look like a mushroom. I already wear all my shirts outside of my pants to at least fake having a waist, and do not wear yellow because he said it washes out my skin color. Would it look so bad for me to be wearing capri's?? I just turned 50 on the outside but am still 20 on the inside and pretty active, just not so slim anymore.

Any suggestions for what styles I could wear. I have about 3 more weeks to shop. Thank you, Nora:confused:

While it's true that capris will sort of "cut" your legline, if you could wear heels with them, that would lengthen your legline somewhat, giving you the illusion of tallness!

However, whatever you're comfortable in, you should wear! It's not like you're going to know anyone, so what do you care what (if anything) they may think?

Wear the capris.....

I can relate to your body issues- my mom and I are built the same way. I'd rather wear a comfortable pair of capris than worry about shorts that creep up when you walk- that's not such an attractive look either. I realize not all shorts do that, but many do.

I think there's a much bigger fashion faux-pax in public these days- people wearing shorter shorts than they should, exposing more skin than they should. Nobody wants to look at that!!

"Mr GQ" should stick to worrying about his own wardrobe.

As a person who's petite even for a petite (less than 5'), I have researched and experimented for years on what us shorter gals should wear. Don't rule out any particular style - it all depends on cut, fit, and proporation.

To add height, go with one-color-all over looks (I like to wear carpis and tops in the same color with perhaps a contrasting tank) and a shoe in the same color as the pants and top (They do NOT have to be heels - the color is enouh to trick the eye into seeing the continuous color.)

Also think proportion - Many capris make us look wide/short because they cut off at the widest part of the calf. Look for capris that are shorter than this length - shop the petite department. I discovered something neat though - the Bermuda or city shorts from the regular department fit longer on me, below the kneee but about mid-calf on me, like capris should fit.

I wear petite also and I love capris, the trick is to get the right length so they fall on your leg where they should. If you like them and feel comfortable in them, wear them and never mind what others say.

I think you know better than your brother on what is good on you.

My problem is finding some cute but comfy sandals to wear with my outfits, that will go with everything so I don't have to pack 8 pairs of shoes. I have a problem finding shoes to fit my fat feet, I wear a double wide and it's no easy task. I will probably wind up ordering something from Zappos, they are pricey but I need the width :(

Many capris make us look wide/short because they cut off at the widest part of the calf. Look for capris that are shorter than this length - shop the petite department. I discovered something neat though - the Bermuda or city shorts from the regular department fit longer on me, below the kneee but about mid-calf on me, like capris should fit.

I just realized I made a typo in this post that is confusing. I meant to say "ABOVE mid-calf".

I wear petite also and I love capris, the trick is to get the right length so they fall on your leg where they should. If you like them and feel comfortable in them, wear them and never mind what others say.

I think you know better than your brother on what is good on you.

My problem is finding some cute but comfy sandals to wear with my outfits, that will go with everything so I don't have to pack 8 pairs of shoes. I have a problem finding shoes to fit my fat feet, I wear a double wide and it's no easy task. I will probably wind up ordering something from Zappos, they are pricey but I need the width :(

Hi thank you for your advice. As for you finding nice comfy sandals and or wide shoes you should look in the phone book for a SAS shoes store or one that carries SAS shoes. They have a very nice variaty and they come in the extra wide sizes. I cannot wear heals because my feet do not like them, nor am I able to walk without wobbling. I have never liked walking on my toes, even when I was young:eek: . My capri pants end between my ankles and lower calf so it should be ok. Thanks for the info to all. I wish they had a website where they can show different body types what styles work best. For people with no waist, long legs but not skinny-mini bodies how to wear and what to wear to look good. I like dresses but most have built in waists which end up sitting on my hips;) which look very funny. this is why I have to stay with the skirt and shirt combo. Anyone have any other suggestions??

Nora

I'm 5' 2" - 3" and I won't wear capri pants. I've tried every style they have and they just aren't flattering. I either wear jeans, shorts, or lightweight khakis in the summer...or sundresses and sandals. No more capris!!

I feel that I look terrible in capris, and I am not that short (almost 5'5") and not overweight.

I wear skirts that are just above my knees for touring in hot climates -- much cooler than shorts for me.

Tell your brother if he objects to items in your wardrobe, then you get to critique his!!!!!!! Wear what you feel comfortable in - what suits the weather, the occasion, and your body, and to heck with amateur fashionistas!!!!!!!!! :D

Wear capris! If you feel comfy in them, then wear 'em... nevermind what your brother thinks. :) Old Navy usually has some flattering styles.

BTW, my best friend is 4'11" and she has to have petite sizes altered! So if you find a pair capris that you like that may not be the right length, take them to a tailor and have them altered. It usually doesn't cost too much.

I'm 5'4" and the capris that I buy are way too long for me. Thanks goodness I have a friend that sews. She tells me to bring them over to have them hemmed. I also have problems with my jeans and some khakis. then we have a few drinks of (course after she has the correct length measured!!:D ) And then they look fine!!

I am just over 5'2" and find that the most flattering cut for capris is between the knee cap and the middle of the fullest part of the calf.....any longer and my lower legs look too short and my feet look too big!

Slacks that hit between the calf and the ankle are cropped pants, not capris....I can't wear that cut comfortably....I feel like they look like my pants are just too short!

I say wear them if you like them. I'm 5'2 and 3/4 (gotta have the 3/4), overweight, over 40 (barely) and wear my shirts out.

I don't wear capris that taper to calf. That just makes my thighs look like a drumstick.:o:rolleyes:

I have a pair of lightweight black Reebok capris that I almost live in all summer and am always asked where I got them. They hit me just below the widest place on my calf. Hate my knees and am not one of the lucky ones to be overweight but have thin calves. They've been on every cruise, played volleyball, the gym, casual night dining with a nice top and they are my after formal night bottom half switch piece to relax after dinner.

I also have a few skorts for touring the ports which are above my knees.

Hi, I have a question for you fashion cruisers. I will be going on my first ever cruise July 20 to the Mexican Riviera. I have been doing some clothes shopping for the trip and told my younger brother Mr GQ that I bought 2 nice capri pants sets with matching tops. Well, he told me because I am only 5'1" tall, have no waist, just breast, hips and long legs and am somewhat overweight, I should not be wearing capri pants. I should stay with shorts up to my knees or long pants. True I am not very fashion up to date, more on the conservitive side, but, no capri's? Its going to be hot and muggy overthere and I do not think it will make me look like a mushroom. I already wear all my shirts outside of my pants to at least fake having a waist, and do not wear yellow because he said it washes out my skin color. Would it look so bad for me to be wearing capri's?? I just turned 50 on the outside but am still 20 on the inside and pretty active, just not so slim anymore.

Any suggestions for what styles I could wear. I have about 3 more weeks to shop. Thank you, Nora:confused:

Nora,,,,,

Do you like the capri outfits??

Wear them,,,,Don't worry about

what others may say or think....

I myself wear what I feel comfortable in.....

I am 5'2 a small plus woman.....

I too wear my shirts out.......

I wear tennis shoes.......

No heals shoes for me........

I am not a sandals type girl.........

Wear what you feel comfty in........

Don't worry,,,,,,you will be fine......

HAPPY CRUISING.....

I agree with Barbara. On the Mexican Riviera, in July -- comfort is by far the most important factor, not fashion. Shorts and capris are both great choices, but you can't wear shorts to dinner in the dining room, so you must have several pairs of capris. I wear mine to dinner every night except Formal night.

Tell you brother to try wearing long pants on a summer cruise in the tropics, and then see if he still recommends them.

Have a blast on your cruise! (And cruise fashion isn't nearly as important as it might seem from reading these boards, so don't sweat it. ;) )

Just a question for those who wear their capris "between the bottom of the calf and the ankle"...if you wear your capris that long, are they really any cooler than wearing full-length pants???

Definitely. It allows direct air to the ankles, and indirect air up to the knee. It makes a huge difference, at least for me.

Archived