Airport Security Information, Please!

Queen B1

"3. Would my wedding ring make it through the x-ray machine without

my having to take it off?"

It shouldn't be a problem unless it's a base metal - they tend to set off the alarm. Here's your chance to make sure that guy gave you the Real Thing. ;)

Linda - I've not set a detector off on either ship we've been on, but I wasn't sure about going through one at the airport! (I sure hope it's the real thing.....if not, it's had me fooled for 34 years!!!!!!) Thanks!

WRP96

I hadn't thought about possible moisture problems, so our checked luggage will have zip-lock bags, too. (I also like that the contents won't be in too much disarray after security) Great tip!

Thank you also for the heads-up about the USDA inspection in San Juan. Since we're flying out that day, I'll leave the cruise tags on and just head straight for check-in. How wonderful is that to be able to avoid at least one line! It sure pays to go to these boards for help!

You might also consider Luggage Express. $15.00 pp, the ship will print your boarding passes, deliver your luggage to airport and you wont see it again until you get to your airport at home.

Cuyahoga11 - I read about Luggage Express on one of these boards and was truly excited about the option. However, someone who had been on the Destiny in early spring said that US Air did not participate in the program at that time. I'm so very disappointed!

Cuyahoga11 - I read about Luggage Express on one of these boards and was truly excited about the option. However, someone who had been on the Destiny in early spring said that US Air did not participate in the program at that time. I'm so very disappointed!

Maybe you will luck out and by the time you need it US Air will be included. I would check on the ship.

Try not to feel rushed going through security. And be really, really careful not to leave anything. If you fill up a lot of bins that means you have a lot of stuff to pick back up. So take your time.

Don't take your wedding ring off - it's too easy to lose. Mine has never set the machine off.

Do take off your watch and put it in your purse. Put it back on after you get to your gate where you can take your time and get settled.

The zip-locks are a great tip - I use the compression type space bags so I can pack a lot more in less room. Keeps your stuff very organized.

I've seen a lot of people with the passport "necklaces" for their id and tickets. It's the plastic pouch they sell in the travel aisle at sports/department stores. Makes it easy to keep track of your documents.

Another great tip is to take food. It's miserable being stuck somewhere when you're starving. Granola bars are perfect.

Most of all have fun. It'll be a great adventure.

Paula

Cuyahoga11 - I'll do that as soon as we board!

Golden Egg - love the idea of the passport "lanyard!" That would be one less thing in my hand, and Mom's would be readily available, too! I'll pack some snacks for the trip. We do have a 3 1/2 hour flight which leaves at 9:40 and that would help us get through the lunch hour! Thanks!

Shorex - how sweet of you to say that! As I said earlier, we just don't want to be clueless passengers who everyone else in the security line is rolling their eyes or grumbling about! Thanks to all of you cruise "advisors," we're well on our way to making you proud!

Shorex - how sweet of you to say that! As I said earlier, we just don't want to be clueless passengers who everyone else in the security line is rolling their eyes or grumbling about! Thanks to all of you cruise "advisors," we're well on our way to making you proud!

Honestly, nobody likes to go through security and I think that someone going through it for the 100th time could get caught off guard. Just take your time and if anyone gets irritated, tell them that you haven't flown for awhile. I think you'll find that a lot of people will understand when you're traveling with an elderly person who requires help.

Ehpride - you're right! We will certainly be prepared (as much as we can be) as we approach the line and will definitely take our time. I see that you're taking a mother/daughter on the Legend in January. We celebrated Mom's 81st birthday on her last summer! We loved that ship!!!!! You will, too!

Another question! Do the measurements for carry-on and checked luggage include the wheels and handles?

Another question! Do the measurements for carry-on and checked luggage include the wheels and handles?

News stories now are indicating that airlines plan to enforce (finally) the carryon policies ... so, to be safe, you might want to assume that wheels and handles should be included in your measurement of the total bag size.

As to the checked bag ... I would be more concerned about exceeding the allowable free weight per bag, as you'd need a very large bag to go over the size limit.

Ehpride - you're right! We will certainly be prepared (as much as we can be) as we approach the line and will definitely take our time. I see that you're taking a mother/daughter on the Legend in January. We celebrated Mom's 81st birthday on her last summer! We loved that ship!!!!! You will, too!

Yup...Grandma isn't going this time, just Mom and I, but we're definitely looking forward to the Legend again!

Personally I'd play it safe with the wheels. If the handle is retractable and goes into the luggage, that should be fine. I'd hate to have to check mine last minute because the wheels added 2" and I've heard the news stories too.

Also, check with your airline to see if they can provide a wheelchair at your destination airport. If baggage claim is pretty far away from where you land, it may tire your mom out to have to walk the entire way.

EHpride - good thing I measured with the wheels - bigger than measurement limits - having to rethink which luggage to take! I've contacted US Air, and they will have a wheelchair reserved for both the Charlotte Airport and the San Juan Airport! It's now included in our ticket reservation! Great thought! Thanks!

Archived