Southwest opened fares through Jan 9

hajekfam

I booked my Nov. 23rd return from Ft. Lauderdale months ago(Jan) with another airline, and I am glad I did. SW is about $80 higher, and with a much longer layover in Houston. Even before all this happened with the airlines, I noticed their rates were climbing.

Marie

I wonder if SW will have a price reduction come Sept. Most airlines run specials about that time, which does include some of the holiday travel times because people flying in Sept. falls dramatically and they want to fill the planes. Just a thought.

I wonder if SW will have a price reduction come Sept. Most airlines run specials about that time, which does include some of the holiday travel times because people flying in Sept. falls dramatically and they want to fill the planes. Just a thought.

It's hard to know. I am operating like I always have. When I see a good rate, I book it. For my travel this year I booked months ago, so I have not been effected by recent events. However, I am sure my 2009 plans will be a whole different story.

Marie

I've been waiting for the Nov. schedule so I could book air for Nov 16th cruise....ouch!.....they're high :eek: . May wait and see if they come down...

If Southwest is currently lower than other airlines and if you plan on flying Southwest again within a year, you can book it at the current fare and then cancel and rebook when Southwest offers a lower fare. When you cancel, you get a credit that can be used against the new flight with the remainder to be used on another flight. We have done that many times - booked and then a ding fare for much lower came out.

I have watched the ding fares and internet fares go up at Southwest. I am signed up for their email specials as well as ding fares as we have grandkids in Florida and Texas that we like to visit so I always monitoring airfares to those locations. At the end of last year (2007), you could get a ding fare from Chicago to Florida for $54 each way, now the ding is $108 or higher for the same route.

If Southwest is currently lower than other airlines and if you plan on flying Southwest again within a year, you can book it at the current fare and then cancel and rebook when Southwest offers a lower fare. When you cancel, you get a credit that can be used against the new flight with the remainder to be used on another flight. We have done that many times - booked and then a ding fare for much lower came out.

I have watched the ding fares and internet fares go up at Southwest. I am signed up for their email specials as well as ding fares as we have grandkids in Florida and Texas that we like to visit so I always monitoring airfares to those locations. At the end of last year (2007), you could get a ding fare from Chicago to Florida for $54 each way, now the ding is $108 or higher for the same route.

Thank you for the reminder. I have done this numerous times as well when DING fares have come up on flights already booked.

Marie

What does SW do with the price difference? For example... I pay $159 this week, SW offer $109---I cancel the first and go for the second. Do I get the $50 or does it convert to SW funny money?

You would have a $50 credit with Southwest. When you cancel the first reservation you will then get a credit voucher number, sort of speak. You will use that credit to book the lower fare. Whatever is left is still in the form of a credit. I believe it needs to be used within one years time.

Marie

Crude hit $140 today. Airlines are filling their planes by parking excess supply in the desert. The days of maintaining supply and increasing demand with cheap fares is over. Even if WN keeps their entire fleet flying, fares on other airlines will increase sharply (already started)...giving WN room to increase their fares to a few dollars less than everyone else.

Archived