Make an Offer Accepted by Cruise Lines Soon?

sail7seas

I was in a major department store yesterday and looked at a designer brand handbag. I was admiring it and the sales person asked if I wanted it. I responded yes, I wanted it, but did not like the price. This was a '20% off coupon day' but, as usual, designer brands were excluded. I figured what the 'hey', worth the try.....

I asked if she would use the coupon for the bag? She said yes. Business stinks! I was so pleased to save a considerable sum on a handbag I really, really like. :)

So...it seems we can now make offers in department stores and some will be accepted. I only tried it because I heard of the big box electronic type stores accepting requests for discounts just to get the cash flow and business.

Any chance we will start to make offers for how much we want to pay for our cruises?? Is business starting to show signs of 'stinking'?

I was in a major department store yesterday and looked at a designer brand handbag. I was admiring it and the sales person asked if I wanted it. I responded yes, I wanted it, but did not like the price. This was a '20% off coupon day' but, as usual, designer brands are often excluded. I figure what the 'hay', worth the try.....

I asked if she would use the coupon for the bag? She said yes. Business stinks! I was so pleased to save a considerable sum on a handbag I really, really like. :)

So...it seems we can now make offers in department stores and some will be accepted. I only tried it because I heard of the big box electronic type stores accepting requests for discounts just to get the cash flow and business.

Any chance we will start to make offers for how much we want to pay for our cruises?? Is business starting to show sings of 'stinking'?

Yes, they told me at Best Buy they will accept any reasonable offer. I was surprised that they matched an online quote for a Nikon D60 from B & H out of New York.

Btw, a couple of years ago a large department store gave the "Friends and Family" discount on a coach bag (20% off). The designer bags are always excluded and I certainly did not know that Sales rep, wasn't a friend or family.

Any chance we will start to make offers for how much we want to pay for our cruises?? Is business starting to show signs of 'stinking'?

I think you'll be able to make offers, but only for upgrades.

For example, you book a veranda stateroom and then keep an eye on sales. You note that there are a bunch of luxury suites that are not selling and you "offer" HAL an additional say $500 each to move into one. I can see that working, though, of course, you will probably not get your first choice of suite.

I think there will be lots of great deals to be had for people who are not real picky about having a certain stateroom. But for folks who really prefer a certain stateroom, I just don't see them having much negotiating power simply because HAL is gonna want to keep their options open and be able to book that stateroom at full price to someone else who may be willing to pay for it. The "upsells" at the attractive pricing, on the other hand, will be filled right before sailing.

Just my opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It could happen.

About 2 weeks ago DH needed to buy a new suitcase (last one destroyed on cruise). Went to a department store -- suitcase was $160 -- coupon would give so much off -- don't have the department store's credit card. When we showed our AMEX Plat -- got a ton more off. The girl informed us that they haven't sold any luggage in weeks. Our final cost -- $48!!!

Needed to buy a new mattress -- same thing again -- accepted the newspaper coupon which indicated that it was good only if we had the store's credit card - but it was accepted. And using the Amex Plat card - another 10% off. (Didn't get quite the good deal as we did on the luggage.)

On most of our HAL cruises, we get $150 pp shipboard credit....("S" Suites)

For cabins under certain level, you could qualify for two category upgrade.

Each year, AmEx Plat and HAL sign a contract and we get a mailing detailing 'Cruise Privileges' which apply to various cruise lines. This is only with the Platinum direct from AmEx that carries the $400 + annual membership fee; not one of the joint cards issued with an airline or Costco or whatever.

KK....... That's great. I see similar things are being done in various cites. Business is NOT good and retailers are doing what they have to in order to make some sales.

If someone needs a major appliance or furniture etc, it is likely they can do a little bargaining in many stores.

have done a variation of this for years. I was on the local school board for 16 yrs and thought it important to do business locally. On appliances and such I would check out proces at the big box stores and then go see the local appliance guy with my quotes. I'd tell him that I didn't expect him to meet those prices but if he could get within 10% of their prices I'd buy from him. Never failed to work for me.. AND I got much better service, including sometimes same day delivery and set up. It never hurts to ask.

Archived