smoking

My wife & I booked a cruise this July coming on board Destiny after checking on the Thomson website what the smoking policy was.It said on the Thomson website that " for the comfort of all passengers, the main restaurants and show lounges are nonsmoking throughout.Bars are divided into smoking and non-smoking sections. Smoking in cabins is permitted but strongly discouraged.

Since booking Thomson how now changed their policy to " smoking is only permitted in strictly designated areas of the open deck. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the ship "

I have in writing now from Thomson that they do not consider this to be a major change.To cancel the holiday would mean us losing 50% of 1500GBP

All we have asked Thomson for is a full credit to enable us to book a similarly priced Thomson holiday that does not have such draconian restrictions. Thomson have refused.

We will be very reluctantly on board in July but will never ever book another cruise with Thomson.

We have referred the matter to ABTA and will follow the arbitration procedure.

Hello whilst I understand your frustration and as a smoker I understand we are not the most loved people, however I do think your being slightly over the top by complaing to ABTA because 99% of places nowdays are becoming non smoking, I actually think we should be pleased that we are allowed to smoke on the ships deck because I would not be surprised that in the future there is a total ban on smoking.

Also why ruin what will hopefully be a great holiday for you and your family on such a small issue ?

Also unless your on a ship with a balcony why would you want to smoke in your cabin ? because I'm sure you'll agree even the smell of stale smoke is yuck.

Whatever happens I wish you luck and a great holiday :)

Unfortunately as djmutters says us smokers are not the most loved people.

But where in the UK can you eat in a restaurant or drink in a pub and have a cigarette, nowhere except outside. Just the way of the world nowadays.

I have always been a considerate smoker and smoke on deck anyway so no problem to me. My only worry is when they are fuelling the ship in port and you can't smoke on deck.

Most cruise lines are changing their rules some companies will charge you for cleaning if you smoke in the room. (against the rules)

Recently sailed on Independence of the seas they had an indoor area to smoke and even as a smoker the smell was horrible. :( I'm quite happy to stick to the deck thanks. New rules won't stop me sailing with Thomsons, I'm off on Calypso again in September.:)

I am very happy with the Thomson policy - you have designated areas, what more do you want ? I have been sick of having to spend time in retaurants and bars that are smokey and very unpleasent, especially if I have my children with me.

All public areas are now non - smoking so it makes sense that a ship would be too.

However I do understand that the holiday that you thought you were getting you now are not. We have many friends that smoke but they are happy to step outside for other peoples comfort and they would not let that spoil their holiday.

I hope you reach a solution that is acceptable to you.

Tracey - Ann

I too am a non-smoker and am pleased that in cabins, restaurants and bars we are no longer affected by second hand smoke/smell and therefore support Thomson's policy.

However I do appreciate that the rules have changed since you booked your cruise (especially since you obviously checked it out carefully before booking) so I think it's very unfortunate that Thomson aren't prepared to accept your proposal of you being credited with the cost of your holiday to book a different one with them. Hopefully the matter can be resolved.

Some people find smoking "highly offensive". I think that all people ask of smokers is that they are considerate to others who do not smoke.

Maybe you shoud not have posted if you did not want opinions.

The replys on here have said that they hope you reach a conclusion that is acceptable to you. What did you expect ? Are you rallying for support ?

Tracey - Ann

I can appreciate and understand your disappointment, after all you booked the cruise in good faith and when the smoking policy allowed smoking in some inside designated areas.

I believe that it is fair that designated areas inside are alllowed for smokers. I also think you will find that there are alot of other cruiselines who do permit smoking in several inside areas- of course not restaurants or show lounges etc and these bars were only frequented by smokers who enjoy a smoke so it worked well. Funniliy enough though, on my recent cruise on Sea Princess, they had a cigar lounge for cigar smokers and smokers and it was frequented by non smokers who began to feign a cough and give smokers a dirty look! I found that hilarious!

Anyway I think if you look around you will find several cruise lines who do cater for smokers in specially designated bars and lounges- it will be interesting to see what the outcome of your complaint to ABTA is- good luck and let us know how you get on.

:mad:

Some people find smoking "highly offensive". I think that all people ask of smokers is that they are considerate to others who do not smoke.

Maybe you shoud not have posted if you did not want opinions.

The replys on here have said that they hope you reach a conclusion that is acceptable to you. What did you expect ? Are you rallying for support ?

Tracey - Ann

I expected the holiday we booked- funny enough.Presumably out of all the bars on Destiny you would expect them to be all non smoking? That doesnt sound considerate-after all the ship is not subject to uk legislation

As far as my wife and I are concerned Thomson can make every one of their ships totally non smoking and LET THEIR CUSTOMERS KNOW.That way this situation would not have arisen and we would have avoided Thomson and all who sail on her.

Then maybe posting is not your cup of tea.

The great thing with positing you get everyones opinons....you know that opinions are like butt holes everyone has one!

I have never posited-only played a lot of sport and smoked.

Hello whilst I understand your frustration and as a smoker I understand we are not the most loved people, however I do think your being slightly over the top by complaing to ABTA because 99% of places nowdays are becoming non smoking, I actually think we should be pleased that we are allowed to smoke on the ships deck because I would not be surprised that in the future there is a total ban on smoking.

Also why ruin what will hopefully be a great holiday for you and your family on such a small issue ?

Also unless your on a ship with a balcony why would you want to smoke in your cabin ? because I'm sure you'll agree even the smell of stale smoke is yuck.

Whatever happens I wish you luck and a great holiday :)

Most places in Europe are still smoking- except the uk

Unfortunately as djmutters says us smokers are not the most loved people.

But where in the UK can you eat in a restaurant or drink in a pub and have a cigarette, nowhere except outside. Just the way of the world nowadays.

I have always been a considerate smoker and smoke on deck anyway so no problem to me. My only worry is when they are fuelling the ship in port and you can't smoke on deck.

Most cruise lines are changing their rules some companies will charge you for cleaning if you smoke in the room. (against the rules)

Recently sailed on Independence of the seas they had an indoor area to smoke and even as a smoker the smell was horrible. :( I'm quite happy to stick to the deck thanks. New rules won't stop me sailing with Thomsons, I'm off on Calypso again in September.:)

The Destiny will be sailing ar away from UK draconian regulations.

I can appreciate and understand your disappointment, after all you booked the cruise in good faith and when the smoking policy allowed smoking in some inside designated areas.

I believe that it is fair that designated areas inside are alllowed for smokers. I also think you will find that there are alot of other cruiselines who do permit smoking in several inside areas- of course not restaurants or show lounges etc and these bars were only frequented by smokers who enjoy a smoke so it worked well. Funniliy enough though, on my recent cruise on Sea Princess, they had a cigar lounge for cigar smokers and smokers and it was frequented by non smokers who began to feign a cough and give smokers a dirty look! I found that hilarious!

Anyway I think if you look around you will find several cruise lines who do cater for smokers in specially designated bars and lounges- it will be interesting to see what the outcome of your complaint to ABTA is- good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thank you for your sensible comments.I will post ABTA outcome here.

I find your comments highly offensive

Jeez...................have a smoke and cool down !

I'm a heavy smoker and have absolutely no problem with nipping outside when I want to light up !!

I trust you and your other smokey half get what you deserve.......and not a full one at that :rolleyes:

I think some of the comments are unfounded here, each to his own, lets keep these boards nice and friendly shall we? We campaigned long and hard for our own Thomson Board and many of us agree its one of the friendliest boards on here so lets keep it that way irresepective of what anyone thinks about smoking or anything else

I think you need to realize this is the year 2008, not 1958. People will not take kindly to you spreading your death and disease causing second hand smoke around for other innocent victims to breathe. Here is a link on the dangers of second hand smoke:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/news/speeches/06272006a.html

Your comments are just typical and miss the point completely.Firstly if just one bar was smoking it would invalidate your rant completely as non smokers OF YOUR TYPE could use the other bars.

Secondly this is all about misinformation prior to booking-but you have no interest in that do you.:mad:

Jeez...................have a smoke and cool down !

I'm a heavy smoker and have absolutely no problem with nipping outside when I want to light up !!

I trust you and your other smokey half get what you deserve.......and not a full one at that :rolleyes:

Good for you.My wife & I actually prefer to sit at a table inside or outside a bar on holiday.

I think some of the comments are unfounded here, each to his own, lets keep these boards nice and friendly shall we? We campaigned long and hard for our own Thomson Board and many of us agree its one of the friendliest boards on here so lets keep it that way irresepective of what anyone thinks about smoking or anything else

I agree with you but Thomson are fully to blame and could easily have sorted the problem out.

Smoking is one of those issues that raise a lot strong views, some people would stop everyone smoking everywhere.

(drinking could be next :eek: )

I have noticed in the last 5 years the area people can smoke on ships has shrunk considerably. Let's hope it is fine, I don't see why there can't be 1 area inside. In Liberties there was an area and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

If you had looked at this site at the beginning of May you would have found out that Thomson had changed it's policy, also small print in Thomson brochures stated the policy has been under review.

The law in Britain also gives regulations that can be adopted by all shipping under Maritime Law so you may find that other cruise lines that operate taking the same line.

Regardless of the problem I hope you have a really good holiday.

I was very surprised in Naples to see people smoking outside because some bars and restaurants had banned smoking!

A couple of people on our recent cruise were instead of smoking traditional cigarettes using a new device called a 'Crown 7':-

http://www.crown7.com/index.shtml

"A battery powered device that looks like an expensive pen.

It actually has a small cartridge that contains the stimulant nicotine that smokers are after.

The tip lights up when it’s being puffed, but the Crown Seven doesn't actually burn.

So you don’t see smoke, but an odorless water vapor.

And it doesn't contain tobacco so state health leaders say it's exempt from the no smoking ban."

Note: I am not advocating the use of this product and/or tobacco use in any way, but merely make mention for reference only.

A couple of people on our recent cruise were instead of smoking traditional cigarettes using a new device called a 'Crown 7':-

http://www.crown7.com/index.shtml

"A battery powered device that looks like an expensive pen.

It actually has a small cartridge that contains the stimulant nicotine that smokers are after.

The tip lights up when it’s being puffed, but the Crown Seven doesn't actually burn.

So you don’t see smoke, but an odorless water vapor.

And it doesn't contain tobacco so state health leaders say it's exempt from the no smoking ban."

Note: I am not advocating the use of this product and/or tobacco use in any way, but merely make mention for reference only.

Well there you have it banjoman. Just get yourself a Crown7 and it would appear you are good to go.

Archived