smoking

Well there you have it banjoman. Just get yourself a Crown7 and it would appear you are good to go.

I dont think I will go down that route.After a 10mile training run there is nothing like a genuine Marlboro light.Know what I mean?

Just got back off the Celebration and was worried that my smoking may be curtailed. It wasn't, really, just a minor pain to be outside at the back of decks 5 or 6, but nothing that ruined the holiday.

Totally take your point about being misled though, pretty bad, that.

Just come home from the Celebration and I was very happy with the smoking situation, you could smoke 90% everywhere outside on the ship and they even provided heaters to keep you warm.

And to be honest the cabins are quite small and you are hardly in them long enough to worry about smoking inside.

Whilst I hate smoking - it has killed too many close relatives - I appreciate that you are not getting the holiday you thought you were booking, and that Thomsons have lied to you. It is my experience that they will say anything to sell tickets, and then not respond to queries or complaints.

When I booked, I asked if we needed to get visas for Russia as we wanted to make private excursions, and was told "No", only to find that wasn't true, and the group visas only covered us on Thomsons group excursions (which we hadn't wanted to take).

My complaints about being given no information beforehand, about our tickets not arriving, about being passed from piller to post, about being directed to the WRONG PLACE and about plainly wrong vegetarian labelling were all ignored.

I don't know what the solution is, other than trying to enjoy your cruise, then never using Thomsons again. If you find a way of getting satisfaction out of them, I would love to find out how you do it. They don't even answer my letters.

Personally I am delighted smoking has been all but banned on Thomson cruises but I can understand some people will be put about by this. But is smoking that important to them that they will let it ruin their holiday? If Thomson's decision gets just one person to give up this filthy, and often inconsiderate, habit then it will be all worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

A message fro Banjoman- just read on another site re changing smoking policy- P&O changed their policy too mid year after people had booked and gave this one guy his money back after he complained- you could use that as a precedent in your argument to ABTA- good luck

A message fro Banjoman- just read on another site re changing smoking policy- P&O changed their policy too mid year after people had booked and gave this one guy his money back after he complained- you could use that as a precedent in your argument to ABTA- good luck

Thanks Sobral .Could you please identify for us where you saw this info. as it certainly could be very useful. ABTA have written to us and said that they do not consider it is worth us persuing this matter-but we are not convinced.

We have just posted a recorded letter to the manager of customer services at TUI requesting compensation and await a reply.

Everyone should fully understand that if Thomson had updated their website regarding the smoking policy on Destiny then WE WOULD NOT HAVE BOOKED THE CRUISE.It is simple as that

My wife and I are now likely to book QE2 or QM2 next as they have an acceptable ( to us ) smoking policy.:) :) :)

Thanks again Sobral.

Having just returned from Destiny I will be posting a new thread soon detailing the current smoking policy.

You mean this policy:

We try to accommodate all guest's preferences as equitably as possible. We request guests not to smoke whilst walking around the ship as a matter of courtesy to fellow guests.

I would suggest that it won't be long before the word "request" is replaced by "require". You can still have a crafty fag in your room if you want one - until that's banned of course!

Hi Banjoman

It was on cruise.co.uk website under answers- put in 'smoking 'and you will see a person asking if its fair that cruiselines change their smoking policy mid year- on there one of the posters explains his situation when he booked on P&O. Yes I have heard on QE2 in Grill Class- the more expensive class, smoking is allowed in restaurants! Its all about money eh? We considered that line but our budget doesnt stretch that far unfortunately! Thomsons seem to be the only cruiseline that has banned smoking altogether inside ship because on P&O, the line that has recently changed its smoking policy- its only applicable to 3 ships and you can smoke in your cabin if you have a balcony! Its just crazy! Good Luck

I think you need to realize this is the year 2008, not 1958. People will not take kindly to you spreading your death and disease causing second hand smoke around for other innocent victims to breathe. Here is a link on the dangers of second hand smoke:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/news/speeches/06272006a.html

Obesity and lack of exercise is a far bigger cause of death than smoking ever has been.Having run 11 London marathons maybe I could help you?

Anyway this is a friendly site and mabe your comments would be more suitable elsewhere.

Personally I am delighted smoking has been all but banned on Thomson cruises but I can understand some people will be put about by this. But is smoking that important to them that they will let it ruin their holiday? If Thomson's decision gets just one person to give up this filthy, and often inconsiderate, habit then it will be all worthwhile.

This is yet another thread that should be removed from the website.Obesity and lack of excercise is a far bigger killer.

This is a friendly site and all about happy cruising.Try peddling your views elsewhere.

I was interested by your comments, stating that obesity is a bigger killer. :rolleyes: I have only looked at a few websites but found these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/n-p/3189930.stm

States that 30,000 approx obesity-related deaths in the UK every yr.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068824/ - UK smoking related – 106,000

http://www.sirc.org/obesity/epidemic_of_confusion.shtml

40,000 obesity-related deaths per yr in USA – almost as many as smoking related.

http://www

This is a friendly site and all about happy cruising.Try peddling your views elsewhere.

I wish we could now give this topic a rest - you're right Banjoman this forum should be about cruising (hopefully happy experiences) but it is also here to report issues of concern and interest to others. I think the original posts re smoking were worth raising as a change of policy definitely has caused problems for you and other smokers which it's important to know about so that others can make informed choices about which cruiselines to patronise in the future. (I still support your original complaint and felt it would have been good had Thomson responded differently to your request.)

However, I also think there is a way to report these issues (and to respond) which needn't be personal or offensive and that can hardly describe what's going on in this and the other smoking threads. Many posters have made their opinions known and even expressed strong feelings but these have not been personally insulting to others. There is a big difference between holding and expressing strong views about the issue of 'smoking'/'non-smoking' (acceptable) and targeting specific people or groups for attack/name calling (unacceptable).

You say the forum should be about 'happy cruising' but you have only ever posted about smoking. Have you got anything else to say about cruising? Or are you falling into the same trap of which you accuse others i.e. using the forum to 'peddle your views' too?

And as I don't wish to stir things up further, I won't include a quote from you in a separate thread (also about smoking) but I think reprimanding others about unpleasant/offensive/nasty comments is rich. The words 'pot and 'kettle' spring to mind! (And if I were called upon to make a judgement, I'd say yours have been the more offensive!)

But wouldn't it be lovely to eliminate all the personal bits and just debate the issues - good and bad? Let's try to get back to that - even with the dreaded topic of 'smoking'!

I was interested by your comments, stating that obesity is a bigger killer. :rolleyes: I have only looked at a few websites but found these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/n-p/3189930.stm

States that 30,000 approx obesity-related deaths in the UK every yr.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068824/ - UK smoking related – 106,000

http://www.sirc.org/obesity/epidemic_of_confusion.shtml

40,000 obesity-related deaths per yr in USA – almost as many as smoking related.

http://www

Hi Nephthys.I have identified several sites that confirm my statement.I will not be responding further on this matter.This smoking thing is boring me and I will only respond to nasty comments or false statements from ex-smokers.:) :) :)

I wish we could now give this topic a rest - you're right Banjoman this forum should be about cruising (hopefully happy experiences) but it is also here to report issues of concern and interest to others. I think the original posts re smoking were worth raising as a change of policy definitely has caused problems for you and other smokers which it's important to know about so that others can make informed choices about which cruiselines to patronise in the future. (I still support your original complaint and felt it would have been good had Thomson responded differently to your request.)

However, I also think there is a way to report these issues (and to respond) which needn't be personal or offensive and that can hardly describe what's going on in this and the other smoking threads. Many posters have made their opinions known and even expressed strong feelings but these have not been personally insulting to others. There is a big difference between holding and expressing strong views about the issue of 'smoking'/'non-smoking' (acceptable) and targeting specific people or groups for attack/name calling (unacceptable).

You say the forum should be about 'happy cruising' but you have only ever posted about smoking. Have you got anything else to say about cruising? Or are you falling into the same trap of which you accuse others i.e. using the forum to 'peddle your views' too?

And as I don't wish to stir things up further, I won't include a quote from you in a separate thread (also about smoking) but I think reprimanding others about unpleasant/offensive/nasty comments is rich. The words 'pot and 'kettle' spring to mind! (And if I were called upon to make a judgement, I'd say yours have been the more offensive!)

But wouldn't it be lovely to eliminate all the personal bits and just debate the issues - good and bad? Let's try to get back to that - even with the dreaded topic of 'smoking'!

What do you mean by not wishing to stir things up further You just have.

• 1 year later...

Sorry folks didn't want to start world war on this site, my point is that on the website Thompsonships.co.uk (Thompson website) it clearly states 'bars divided into smoking and non smoking areas' (as on Costa Cruises) and smoking is permitted in cabins although we discourage this!

As for all the rubbish of smelling the smoke that is down to cleaning materials, on a recent Celebrity Cruise they had announced that they were stopping smoking however we spoke to one of their senior customer relations persons for hotel services and even she couldn't understand the problem because their products completlt obliterate the smell of tobacco, I have never walked into a cabin and smelt smoke.

That is beside the point the point is information!!!!

Sorry folks didn't want to start world war on this site, my point is that on the website Thompsonships.co.uk

No problem. This is nothing, you should try over on some of the American cruise line boards on here. There it is definitely like W.W. 3.

Not heard of that site, I usually go straight to Thomson.co.uk. and the info is on there same as brochure.

P.S.

Just looked and it is not an official Thomson Holidays site. On the About Thomson tab at the bottom it says "Visit the Thomson website" and We are not affiliated with Thomson Cruises or Thomson Holidays.

Also it has two of their ships that have been withdrawn from service.

Whatever Cruise Line you travel with Smoking is a contentious issue, want to visit the P&O site, and as others have said its like World War three when the issue is brought up.

It would appear that Thomson's are going the way of most cruise lines now, by banning smoking in any indoor areas, even cabins

I have a 2009/2010 brochure and cannot find any reference in there, to their smoking policy, however have checked on the Thomson's cruise website and the following is what it says.

Smoking at Sea

All of our ships are non-smoking. This means you can only smoke in designated areas of the open deck – including cabin balconies.:D

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/life-onboard/got-a-question.html

This is now in line with most cruise companies policies. I would add that before retirement I worked in the Hotel Trade, and you could definately tell if somebody had been smoking in a non smoking room, and even after using the best cleaning products you could get, it still took a few days to get rid of the smell.

Archived