Trying to decide on a Thanksgiving cruise

nanocats

My husband and I are taking our winter vacation the week of Thanksgiving this year (only time our schedules worked out). Trying to decided between these two cruises:

Veendam: Key West, Belize, Santo Tomas, Costa Maya

Eurodam: Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay

We are in our late 20's/early 30's. Cruised on Princess, RCCL, and Holland (Noordam). Favorite was our Noordam cruise due to the nice food, nice service, classy ship, smaller, relaxing. We'll be cruising on the Veendam in September (4 days). We like new experiences in both ship and itinerary, so haven't a hard time deciding.

We like the Veendam's itinerary more, haven't been to any of those ports, but we are already cruising on her this year and wonder if we'd get bored with the ship and what if it is too small (Noordam was the smallest ship we've been on).

We like the Eurodam for the ship: brand new, liked the Noordam, itinerary is ok (we've been to San Juan and St. Thomas and aren't that interested in Grand Turk).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My wife LOVES Costa Maya, so she would say book the Veendam...........

I would try the newer Eurodam, since you have a trip planned on the Veendam.........

BTW...........We will be trying the Noordam over Thanksgiving....leaving Thanksgiving day for 10 days...............

I'd take the Veendam. Four days on her isn't going to be anywhere near enought to get bored. Or to find out all the great things about her! :)

The Veendam will have almost everything, in terms of public areas, that the Eurodam will, just made a little smaller (since there's fewer passengers).

The great service, food, etc, that you say you like will be the same on either ship. Actually, you might find it better on the smaller ship, because the staff has fewer people to get to know.

Add to all this the fact that you like the Veendam's itinerary---and I think you have a winner here! :D

I love the Veendam, that being my first ship. On the other hand I have heard several stories lately about the overall ship air conditioning needing some work and occasional toilet problems. No recent personal experience, though.

Agree the Eurodam ports are less interesting - but then, you could skip the ports on those days and just explore the new ship! If you're into Asian food, the Tamarind is a big plus that is only available on Eurodam. Also, if you haven't been to Half Moon Cay yet, and you like beaches, you owe it to yourselves to get there at some point. Also don't knock Grand Turk. The island itself may not be that interesting, and the area near the cruise ship pier is VERY touristy (though the beach is nice), but if you like snorkeling or diving, you will enjoy that port. Also there just might be more young people on the Eurodam than on the Veendam.

But Veendam is such a clear winner on the itinerary front, I can see why you're having a difficult time deciding.

Maybe you should decide based on cost, if you can't break the tie. The good news is, you can't lose either way! Enjoy.

Archived