Refresh my memory on Priceline

MamaParrotHead

Can someone tell me what changes have been made to Priceline in the past 5 or 6 years? It used to be that you put in a bid and they put you on whatever flight at whatever time they wanted. Is it still that way? I'm thinking Priceline airfare with cruising might not be such a good idea (although we do fly in the day before). Trying to research all our options while we can. Thanks.

Can someone tell me what changes have been made to Priceline in the past 5 or 6 years? It used to be that you put in a bid and they put you on whatever flight at whatever time they wanted. Is it still that way? I'm thinking Priceline airfare with cruising might not be such a good idea (although we do fly in the day before). Trying to research all our options while we can. Thanks.

You should check out this thread from earlier in the week

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=796164&highlight=priceline

Basically you would need to fly in a day early and plan to leave a day after the cruise, because there is no way to know what your flight times would be coming or going.

DON'T.

With the airlines changing schedules, canceling flights, etc. etc., you may be in deep doo doo using Priceline. Not to mention you could be flying all over the country before you get to/from your cruise.

Aren't you the one from Moline????

I thought you booked AirTran quite a little while ago.

We do prefer to fly otu of Moline, but our cruise isn't until 11/09, so we haven't booked anything yet.

Your cruise is so far out there, no airline has any inventory loaded. You wouldn't see any availability until this November at the earliest.

Given the upheavals in the airline industry, don't start planning now -- IMO, much of your work would be out the window by then. One thing to do is to be monitoring fares for the equivalent period this year, and for overall fares in the market you will be flying. In this way, you get some kind of "baseline" to make a pricing decision. Look at FareCast and FareCompare for overall pricing info. Decide what you are willing to pay, and pull the trigger when you see something you are happy with. DO NOT play the wish and hope game, postponing decisions for the "better deal" to come down the road. What's actually coming down the road is one of Greatam's semis, which will flatten you as you stand on the center line.:D

DO NOT play the wish and hope game, postponing decisions for the "better deal" to come down the road. What's actually coming down the road is one of Greatam's semis, which will flatten you as you stand on the center line.:D

This is such a great quote!!:p

We do prefer to fly otu of Moline, but our cruise isn't until 11/09, so we haven't booked anything yet.

November of 2009?

It is INSANE to even try to book air this early.

In any case, Priceline only has inventory of airtickets when airlines have unsold inventories. With every airline cuts capacity by 10% or more, would you think they have unsold inventory to pass along to Priceline?

Even at the most normal times, Priceline is really only good for LAST MINUTE airtravel when the walkup fares at airlines are prohibitively expensive, but thru Priceline, you could potentially pay the fare of 14day advance purchase but get to travel at last minute.

Going thru Priceline for airtickets have seldom a good idea even at the most optimal time, let alone at the current difficult time.

If you dont need air till November of 2009, you would be better off to just relax, and act when it is January of 2009. Meanwhile you can observe how the airfares play out for November of 2008.

Air Travel is not like cruises - there is no such advance booking longer than 12 months. Some airlines, legacy included, would not even have schedules loaded 6 to 9 months before departure date. And the beloved Southwest wouldn't have its schedules up 4 months before departure date.

Relax!

OK, as evidenced by my multitude of posts today, I am a newbie at this. I have been looking at prices on Priceline for the past week. I could be wrong, but I believe you can book your reservation from a set price, which gives specific flight info like other sites such as Expedia, Orbitz, etc. Or you can play the "bidding" game and take your best deal, with no control over times and seats. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, because I was going to book with them today! :confused:

Thanks. I travel often enough to know fares aren't out yet, and I don't want to book something just to book. Just exploring options and keeping an eye on things.

And Grits, yes, Priceline does have just a "search engine" function like Travelocity and Expedia AND the bidding function as well. I believe they work independantly of one another.

Not to mention you could be flying all over the country before you get to/from your cruise.

Just for the record, Priceline's name-your-own-price product allows you to bid for an airline ticket with just one en-route connection, eliminating hopping all over the country making numerous transfers. In the event your itinerary can't be completed with just one transfer, Priceline will advise you of this before you pull the trigger.

Archived