notified letter for cruising with grandchild

Taking Grandaughter on cruise. Not sure if I understand what is needed in a noterized letter from parents.

Don't I just need a letter stating we are taking grandchild out of the country (Bahamas) signed by both parents. (they are divorced)

She is 12. Do I also need a goverment issued ID? (what is that?)

We do not have passports. Will be using birth certificates.

Does anyone know where to get a sample letter that will work.

Anything else I missed - please advise - thank you

You do need to have the letter signed by both parents, but you must also have it notarized. I would also highly recommend, JUST IN CASE (i hope this does not happen to you) having a letter signed by both parents AND notarized authorizing you to make any necessary medical decisions regarding your grandchild. Hopefully nothing happens, but just in case, you would need to have that letter notarized to give you the authority.

As for the others, I am not sure. What a lucky grandchild to be taken on a cruise! Should be very fun for you. :)

There is a website called Landfalltravel (dot com). It has letters you can print out & use. All you have to do is fill out the info. I do this everytime we cruise with my daughter & have done it for our upcoming cruise for her best friend. Thing is....not one time have I been asked for it!!!! Better safe than sorry, though.

There are many posts on this board about the problems you can have if you don't have a passport. You can get by without passports, but if anything goes amiss, like you or the child has a medical issue, you may find yourself off the cruise ship, in a foreign country without a passport. I'm sure other posters will contribute stories about being without a passport. I suggest you get passports for all travelers. Note that the passport will serve as the government issued ID for the child.

Taking Grandaughter on cruise. Not sure if I understand what is needed in a noterized letter from parents.

Don't I just need a letter stating we are taking grandchild out of the country (Bahamas) signed by both parents. (they are divorced)

You will need a letter, signed by both parents and notorized, this is what I have used in the past

To Whom it may concern

Re:( childs name)

I (Mothers Name) and I (fathers name) hereby give permission for (your Name) to take our daughter (daughters name) on a cruise to the Bahamas, aboard (cruise ship name). This dates of this cruise are ---------- to ------------, sailing from -----------? This authorization, also extends to any airline flights that may be needed in connection with the cruise. (your name ) is authorized to make any decisions regarding the care of ( childs name) including authorizing any medical care that (childs name) may need.

Because of the nature of cruising, this authorization will still be in effect should the cruise itinery be changed for any reason

Signed ______________ Mother _________________ Father

Since she is under the age of 16, she does not need a government issued photo ID.

If you have time though, I really do recommend that everyone traveling get a passport.

Do you need a notarized letter for a grandchild at or over the age of 18??

My son will be sailing with his grandmother for a late 18th birthday gift. Just curious if I need to get a letter or not?!?

Thanks!

I always use the form from the Cruise Diva site- just put 'Permission Letter' in the search box. AAA will notarize it for you if you are a member.

Just take her birth certificate as ID.

If you want to get a State issued photo ID for her, just go to your Bureau of Motor Vehicles- for around $15 you can get one made. Call and ask what documentation you need to bring with you, they require several things.

• 6 months later...

You've some good response here. I have taken my grandson once a year since he was 8 years old; he's 17 now - almost 18. What fun we've had together and what great memories we have!!!! Our last was on the Carnival Liberty, Jan. 3.....guess it might be the last for a while. He graduates high school in May and is college bound. But, oh, how I treasure those years he and I ran away on a ship for a great time.

Over the years, I've been asked twice for the permission letter and twice, he's been questioned about who I am, where he lives, etc....very painless and not at all intimidating for him...or me. Frankly, they do this to prevent child abductions...so it's a good thing.

It's a good idea to have a letter signed by the parents giving you permission to make any medical decisions for him....just in case and just to be prepared. Thankfully, I've never needed that one!! My daughter also copies front and back of the medical card which I also carry.

Go and have a great time together. You are building memories that will last a life time...for you...and for the child.

Passports are now required to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas and the Caribbean. For grandchildren that won't need the full blown passport, passport cards are now available for less cost. For more info, see: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Passports are not required by land and sea. Read the whole link you posted.

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

• 3 weeks later...
Passports are not required by land and sea. Read the whole link you posted.

Oops! Not for this cruise but after June 1, 2009. One can still get by with an original birth certificate and one other government picture document like a driver's license. This is not so much for getting into Mexico as it is to get back into the US.

Frank

Oops! Not for this cruise but after June 1, 2009. One can still get by with an original birth certificate and one other government picture document like a driver's license. This is not so much for getting into Mexico as it is to get back into the US.

Frank

Even after June 1st, 2009 passports aren't required for roundtrip cruises from US ports.

Frank

You will still be able to get ny with a certified birth certificate and governmebt issued phot id after June 1st 2009, as long as you are on a closed loop cruise, that is one that begins and ends at the same US port

Archived