Ships tour overnight to Cairo

Sominex

J,

Go to the "Port of Call" section and select "Africa/Middle East" and it will have a wealth of information. After reading all the wonderful reviews about DeCastro Tours in Egypt that is who we are using. They are $305 pp which is less than the ship. They go in the same convoy as the tour buses from the ship so I'm sure there is nothing to worry about. They say on their website they have never missed a ship. It can be just the two of you or you can get more for your party from others cruising with you. We are sailing out of Barcelona Jan. 4, 09 and have bookded DeCastro for Egypt. When are you sailing? Just Google DeCastro Tours, Egypt and you will find them on the internet.

Tanya

Lambs,

Yes it includes the light show as well.

You are going to be spending a Sunday night in Cairo, right? For some reason I can not connect to the official web site for the pyramids' light show, but I found another one which said it was showing the 2009 schedule, and it says:

Throughout JanuarySound-and-Light Show. At the pyramids in Giza, "narrated" by the Sphinx. English shows are daily, except Sunday. It's best to confirm dates and times before heading out to Giza. Phone 385-2880. http://www.sound-light.egypt.com.

February, 2009

22 Feb-Union Day. Public holiday. Throughout FebruarySound-and-Light Show. At the pyramids in Giza, "narrated" by the Sphinx. English shows are daily, except Sunday. It's best to confirm dates and times before heading out to Giza. Phone 385-2880. http://www.sound-light.egypt.com.

It is on this web site: http://www.professionaltravelguide.com/events/cairo/destinations-733054

The sound-light web site does not work for me!

Our tour company has said nothing about the show not being available in English on Sunday nights. What about DeCastro? Just curious...

It is available in English on Sunday nights at 9:30pm in the fall (starting in October). I think the time for it in the summer is very late 11:30pm.

Thanks, but both of us are looking for the schedule for January and February 2009.

Thanks lambs2! I was going to post that website here as well! We are using DeCastro for our tour in September 2008. For 10 people it will be $195pp for this tour (it varies slightly from the one most people take):

Pickup and private transfer via convoy to Cairo from Alexandria

Pyramids tour and Museum, lunch

Hotel (LeMeridien) overnight

Pyramid light and sound show

Day 2 we go back to Alexandria after breakfast, then tour several sites there before going back to the ship, which leaves at 6pm.

I am not sure if the light and sound show times are different due to Ramadan. We will be there during that holiday, so I've been told some things close earlier during that time. We'll see!

Has anyone taken the ship's tour at $429 per person; if so, was it worth it? My husband refuses to take any other than the ships???

J

You know, this board tends to have more people on it who prefer private excursions. But the fact is that in almost every port the ship's excursions are wonderful and very well done. On our cruise, we talked to many people who did the ship's excursion and were very happy with it. If DH is more comfortable that way, you will have a GREAT time in Egypt with the ship's tour.

OTOH you can let DH read some of the many many posts on this board about the great private tours and perhaps that will reassure him. Egypt is a good place for a private tour and IMHO they are extremely safe.

For starters Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Whichever way you go, you will find Egypt to be extremely stunning!

Have a GREAT cruise!

You are the only one that answered my inquiry about the ships tour, thank you so much.

I can't believe everyone is taking a private tour!

JH

You know, this board tends to have more people on it who prefer private excursions. But the fact is that in almost every port the ship's excursions are wonderful and very well done. On our cruise, we talked to many people who did the ship's excursion and were very happy with it. If DH is more comfortable that way, you will have a GREAT time in Egypt with the ship's tour.

OTOH you can let DH read some of the many many posts on this board about the great private tours and perhaps that will reassure him. Egypt is a good place for a private tour and IMHO they are extremely safe.

For starters Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Whichever way you go, you will find Egypt to be extremely stunning!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Lambs,

Checked with DeCastro and yes it is in English. However after adding up all the extra cost that is not included in his price it come to almost the same amount as the ship so now we are looking at the ships tour.

Tanya

Has anyone taken the ship's tour at $429 per person; if so, was it worth it? My husband refuses to take any other than the ships???

J

Enjoyed a fourteen night Holy Land cruise with Princess a number of years ago, an itinerary no longer offered. We took the Cairo overnight offered by Princess and could not have been more pleased. At the time Princess used Abercrombie and Kent who are well known and respected tour operators.

Our hotel was the Intercontinental on the Nile. Our guide, for both days, was a young lady with a Masters in Egyptology and wonderful. (I'll never forget the tray of Baklava she treated us to each day.........dripping in butter:eek: ). To date and fifty cruises later, this tour remains one of the best tours we have ever enjoyed.

We have decided if we do an overnight in Cairo it will be with the ship. I am on vacation and do not want the headache of having to plan an overnight. If it was for the day it may be different. We will spend more but for peace of mind and entirely enjoying myself and not having to worry is priceless!

Most of the cruise lines use the same tour operators. Also these are also the same companies that make direct arrangements. There is something in convenience to be said for using the cruise companies to make the arrangements for you...and they do charge for it(as well they should)...

You are the only one that answered my inquiry about the ships tour, thank you so much.

I can't believe everyone is taking a private tour!

JH

Just returned from the June 25 sailing of the Pacific Princess. Anyone taking the ship's overnight was very happy with all aspects of the tour. We toured privately with Nile Blue Tours and overnighted at Le Meridien at the Pyramids. We basically did all that the Princess overnight included for a fraction of the cost. Hazem and his wife Gadda were fabulous to deal with. Our guide (for 6 people ) was Amr and was excellent. Check out the website; they are very flexible and you can settle on a tour that is customized to your interests. If you do contact them please tell them that Gail recommended that you contact them.

Mapu, may I ask what was included in your overnight tour and and what was the cost? Did you do either the Sound and Light show, or the Nile dinner cruise or both , and what did you think was worthwhile attending?We are in the process of organising an overnight tour. Thanks for any information. Aussiecruzer.

Mapu, may I ask what was included in your overnight tour and and what was the cost? Did you do either the Sound and Light show, or the Nile dinner cruise or both , and what did you think was worthwhile attending?We are in the process of organising an overnight tour. Thanks for any information. Aussiecruzer.

We were six people; the cost was $235 per couple and included lunch on both days; breakfast the second morning at the hotel; museum and other entry fees. The Mummy Room at the Egyptian museum was extra as was the Nile Dinner Cruise ($45.00 per person) and the entry to go down into the pyramid was extra. My husband and I chose not to dinner cruise and stayed back at the hotel and ate dinner there which was excellent and very reasonable. We were there on a Sunday night and there were two weddings at the hotel (Le Meridien at the Pyramids). There was also entertainment at the hotel that evening. We had a great time back at the hotel and then got picked up to go to the Sound and Light Show avoiding going in to Cairo for the Nile River Cruise. Cairo traffic is no fun! The weddings we witnessed were beautiful so no regrets. Check out the Nile Blue website. I am happy to recommend them.

We were there on a Sunday night and there were two weddings at the hotel (Le Meridien at the Pyramids). There was also entertainment at the hotel that evening. We had a great time back at the hotel and then got picked up to go to the Sound and Light Show avoiding going in to Cairo for the Nile River Cruise. Cairo traffic is no fun! The weddings we witnessed were beautiful so no regrets. Check out the Nile Blue website. I am happy to recommend them.

Mapu

How did we miss ya'll at the hotel on the Sunday night? I bet we were probably standing next to one another and never knew it while watching the weddings...laughing. Since I am a guy, I was like yeah, nice wedding, cool, but all the women and young girls in our group kept taking photos and video of the weddings...laughing. I bet those two brides have more video and photos of their weddings than 99% of the brides married this past year throughout the world...lol

Isn't that Cairo traffic an experience? Totally f***ing unbelieveable!!! The only thing that can outnumber the flies in Egypt are the cars in Cairo....lol

We enjoyed Hazem and Gadda. Our group thought their tour was first class. Riding a camel down towards the pyramids was really awesome

Thanks Mapu, your trip sounds good. Can I just clarify, was that $235 per person or per couple? Cairo traffic sounds extremely busy. Did you enjoy the light and sound show?

Thanks, Aussiecruzer.

235 per person which included the hotel.

Mapu

How did we miss ya'll at the hotel on the Sunday night? I bet we were probably standing next to one another and never knew it while watching the weddings...laughing. Since I am a guy, I was like yeah, nice wedding, cool, but all the women and young girls in our group kept taking photos and video of the weddings...laughing. I bet those two brides have more video and photos of their weddings than 99% of the brides married this past year throughout the world...lol

Isn't that Cairo traffic an experience? Totally f***ing unbelieveable!!! The only thing that can outnumber the flies in Egypt are the cars in Cairo....lol

We enjoyed Hazem and Gadda. Our group thought their tour was first class. Riding a camel down towards the pyramids was really awesome

We were taking pictures as well. Did you go to the 11:30 Sound and Light Show? If so I probably spotted some of your group waiting to go. How did Israel work out for you?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived