Surcharge restaurants on the Star

vette

Could someone who has recently cruised on the Star give me a list of the onboard restaurants, and if they are free or surcharge (and how much, if they are surcharge). I would really appreciate this information.

Vette

I sailed earlier this month. Here is what you requested:

Teppanyaki $25.00 surcharge

Ginza $15.00 surcharge

Sushi Bar $15.00 surcharge

La Trattoria $10.00 surcharge

Cagney's $20.00 surcharge

The Soho $15.00 surcharge

Le Bistro $15.00 surcharge

No charge restaurants:

Endless Summer (get your reservation early)

Aqua - Main dining room

Versailles - Main dining room

Market Cafe Buffet

Blue Lagoon (Great for hamburgers, hot dogs, wings and chicken nuggets)

The Grill (by the pool) did not open because of the rain.

There is also room service but we didn't use it.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thank you, Shollow, for this great information.

My brother is joining me on my next cruise. He is a newbie, and is hearing all kinds of stories about the surcharge restaurants. I know the routine, but he has never cruised and just is getting worried.

Your information will ease is mind greatly.

Vette

I can tell you and your brother not to be worried about the food on the Star. The food in the main dining venues is just as good as you will get in the specialty restaurants. The only reason to pay for a specialty restaurant is if you get in the mood for that specific type of food, etc. If you guys want to try a specialty restaurant, I honestly recommend La Trattoria. It is the least expensive and to me was the best. I always say that maybe I think that way because they had one of my most favorite dishes on their menu, but honestly it was great food. You will hear people say that they are appalled by it being a sectioned off part of the buffet, however I promise you, while we were eating there; I never realized that is where we were. Until the second time we ate there I had totally forgotten it was a sectioned off part of the buffet until my DDP reminded me.

Don't miss getting the Hot Wings at the Blue Lagoon and if you want a midnight snack, the BLT's via room service are terrific.

As far as the rest of the ship, you will enjoy her. She is definitely one of our favorites and is like a second home to us. Love her and love her crew.

Hi Terry,

I completely agree with you. I was on the Star in 2006, and the food in the main dining rooms was excellent. In fact, the food in the buffet was great too! I asked for the listing of the restaurants so I could send it to my brother so he could see the choices of free versus surcharge.

The one surcharge restaurant I went to was the Teppanyaki. Great show, and great food. It was a very fun evening and well worth every cent!

Vette

Thank you, Terry. You are so right. The food on the Star was wonderful. The lobster in Le Bistro, according to my Mother, was the best she's ever eaten. It was well worth the extra surcharge. The Teppanyaki was excellent and fun. My Great Aunt says she'll never eat filet mignon any other way aagain than cut in small cubes!! The prime rib in Versailles was very good. We ate at La Trattoria when we were on the Star the first time and the food was tasty.

The food in the Blue Lagoon was good and those of us who eat wings, loved them. The Hamburgers and Southern chicken nuggets were good, too.

I don't think your brother will have any problems finding food he likes, with or without a surcharge.

Terry, I wish we could have met rather than just seeing each other in Cagney's. I think we would have had a lot to talk about!!!

OOOOOOOOh, Fish and Chips and wings. I could live on those two choices, well, maybe a steak or two, and prime rib, and beef wellington, oh, and don't forget the lobster.

Thanks so much for your great suggestions. I told my brother there is really no need to eat at the surcharge restaurants, because the regular ones are just excellent.

Vette

How funny that food quality is so different for everyone. My husband and I just returned yesterday 6/28 from the Star and really did not like La Trattoria. I did like the dessert but that was it. We really HATED Endless Summer. Loved Teppanyaki, SoHo (very under rated and best service of the whole ship) and Cagney's. The main dining rooms Versailles and Aqua had good food as well, but we did not care for the service at all. We avoided the buffet. In fact, my husband did not eat at the buffet at all after his one and only trip on our first day. But, I will admit he is a little bit of a food snob. I ate at the buffet a few times and was fine with the food. Their french bread is one of the best I have ever had. Oh and room service was pretty good. Very slow depending on the time that you order - but not bad quality. Blue Lagoon was good and agree that the fish n chips are very good if you like english style fried fish. Which I do. Just my two cents.

Archived