Snorkel/snuba - what do we NOT want to see?

rarescrambler

When we go on our cruise this coming October to the Western Caribbean, we'll be venturing out on our own snorkel trips for the first time. I'm reading about sting rays, barracudas, etc. In the few previous times we've gone (on organized excursions) in the Eastern Caribbean, it's been mostly the brightly-colored tropical fish that are so not intimidating. Can someone please tell me about the different things we can expect to come across in snorkeling from the beaches, why we shouldn't be afraid of what we see, and what we need to know as first-time on-your-own snorkelers. I'm a little afraid, but don't want to miss this great opportunity. (Carpe diem!) I know to be somewhat still in the water so as not to startle any of the sealife, and to be careful not to tread on the coral. What else do we need to know to enhance our experience, stay safe w/the inhabitants, and be respectful of our surroundings?

TIA

Tia,

We are in the same "boat"! We will be doing snorkeling on our own too. I will be interested to find out what others tell you. I thought I would add one concern I have...if you don't mind. I am worried that we will have to swim out really far to snorkel. Then my concern turns to water currents and staying safe while snorkeling. I don't know if boats will be able to see me in the water. I don't know where dangerous currents are.

Here's hoping we both get answers!

When it comes to being safe around sea life, my scuba instructor put it succinctly: DON'T POKE! That's really all the advice you need to know. Look, don't touch. Hollywood to the contrary, nothing in the ocean will attack you. Many things in the ocean will defend themselves if provoked, including those inoffensive looking brightly colored tropical fish. So the cardinal rule is look, don't touch!

Barracuda are beautiful and curious creatures. I was lucky enough to swim with one on a dive off of Key Largo. Stingrays I guess have a reputation now since the untimely death of a certain Australian TV personality-- a man who would still be with us today had he followed the advice DON'T POKE! These are shy bottom dwellers whose first line of defense is to hide themselves in the sand. They do have a barb in their tails to use against creatures who refuse to leave them alone.

Funny, but people who are interested in snorkeling or scuba almost always see danger coming from sea creatures, whose attitude toward us is mostly indifference. To them, we are neither prey nor predator, so they ignore us. The things it's worthwhile to be concerned with are things like plain ol' drowning; currents, cramps, and medical conditions that lead to plain ol' drowning; and nuts on jet skis.

To be seen, use a dive flag on a float. To float yourself, wear a proper snorkeling vest. Both items are available at dive shops. As for currents, nothing beats local knowledge-- (so ask when you buy your flag and vest!) Some guidance is available online or in tour guide books.

• 2 weeks later...

When you are on your own from shore, you will be encountering objects which are quite different from the same species your would encounter on a tour.

Tours go to places that are well known by the tour operators and that have had the local sea life accostomed to visitors. An example would be the Sting Rays. On a tour you would encounter sting rays that are regularly fed by the tour operators, they have become accostomed to human encounters and are regularly fed as part of those encounters. Handling them is a safe situation.

I would be quite hesitant to handling a "wild" sting ray on my own as it would not be accostomed to humans and might react in a defensive way.

You definitely don't want to see one of those black, spiny needles sticking out of your foot! Watch for the sea urchins when entering the water. They can be lurking under a ledge as well so watch where you reach to catch your balance. By daughter would say you don't want to see a jellyfish. She's encountered one while snorkeling and ended up with painful "angelina jolie" lips, a trip to the ER and several days of ice packs. Just keep aware of what's on the surface of the water as well as what's on the bottom. It's easy to get mesmerized by the fish and forget to look around once in a while! :)

Most everything in the ocean will swim away from a person. What you don't want to see is whale coming up to feed with its mouth open. Just kidding.

As someone already said, Don't Poke. Don't put your hand anywhere you can't see into.

And watchout for the 300 lb german lady from my last cruise, small (much too small) black bikini. I still have nightmares.

Archived