Anyone has info on trains from Livorno to Pisa/Florence

Has anybody been to Pisa or Florence via train from Livorno. We are traveling on Royal Caribbean in Sept and stopping in Livorno for 2 days. Also, if you have information as to pricie for the train. Would appreciate any information you can offer.

Larry

And the official site:

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

And have you tried SEARCH THIS FORUM with individual words such as Livorno, Pisa or Florence?

The results should bring up a multitude of previous posts and replies and you can browse the results at leisure picking up lots of interesting info as you read.

Has anybody been to Pisa or Florence via train from Livorno. We are traveling on Royal Caribbean in Sept and stopping in Livorno for 2 days. Also, if you have information as to pricie for the train. Would appreciate any information you can offer.

Larry

We took a cab from the dock to the train station which was a short ride. The train was very inexpensive especially compared to what the ship was charging just for a transfer into Florence. If my memory serves me correctly, it was five years ago, it was about an hour and a half ride which left us plenty of time to see the major sites, have lunch, and get back to Livorno with time to spare before the ship sailed. Very easy day and reasonable priced. We saw everything those on the excursion saw at just a fraction of the price. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Looking at the train fare and such, looks like it is about 9.50 euros to get from Livorno to Florence (plus the cost of a cab to the train station). The ship charges about $60 return meaning it would cost about $25 more to take the ship transfer. Based on the opinion of anyone who has done this, is the extra $25 worthwhile given I don't speak Italian and have never been on their train system? I'm all for an adventure but a price of $25 above the cost of the train it seems like money well spent... thoughts?

Call us chicken - but we took the "Florence on your own" tour from the ship. We've head the traffic was terrible (it was) and also heard about infrequent train problems, including strikes. We didn't want to be worrying about getting back during our day in Florence.

The only thing that I really disliked about the ship's excursion was a 30 minute, maybe a little longer, stop at very expensive leather factory store along the way. But they did have rest rooms available there. One thing I did like was that before heading back the bus drove around some nice sights in Florence just outside of the main part of the town - areas you're not likely to see on foot. We had a great afternoon in Florence.

We took almost all ship's excursion in Italy (except Venice where we felt no excursion was necessary). Lots of people do - and so should you if you fell more comfortable. OTOH - if you feel comfortable doing it on your own or a private excursion then go for it.

We just got back. We took the 8:11 am train to Florence, got there about 9:30. Went to see The David, walked around, shopped, ate lunch, took the train back and stopped at Pisa (same train). At Pisa took the bus to the leaning tower, Climbed up the tower, took the bus back to the train and took the train back to Livorno. It was very easy, everyone spoke english and we had plenty of time to do everything we wanted. Much cheaper and faster than a long bus ride with the cruise tours. I think the train was 24 euros each and the buses were 2 euros each. All you need is a round trip train ticket to Florence. The Pisa station is on the way and you can just get on and off when you want. Don't forget to validate your train and bus tickets.

You might also want to look at www.ftroute.com/IT_TrainFares.htm

It is part of a whole series of pages that should be up within the next 24 hours.

Some questions:

1). Why is no fare listed between Livorno and Florence on your chart? Do all trains from Livorno to Florence go through, or stop in Pisa? Do you add the Livorno to Pisa and Pisa to Florence fares together to get the fare from Livorno to Florence?

2) Where can I get an explanation of the various train types listed on your chart? What about the BIRG fare that I've read about? Where can I read what types of trains that fare is good for? Does the BIRG ticket say what types of trains it is good for so I don't get on the wrong one?

3) If I get on a better train with a BIRG ticket, can I just pay the difference or do I have to pay a full, one-way fare? By the way, for a train that doesn't require reservations, do you still have to buy a ticket in advance or can you buy a ticket on-board with some surcharge? Thanks.

truckerj1....what time did you dock and then disembark the ship that you were able to catch the 8:11 train?

Lynn

We docked at 7am, were off the ship by 7:20 and took a cab to the train station. It took 15 minutes to get to the train station. It was very easy.

The BIRG is the round trip train ticket that is good on all the comuter trains, which is most of the trains. All the trains stop in Pisa. You can just get off and get back on with your Florence ticket.

Excellent info thank you all...what amazes me is that no one complains of any language difficulties...and don't have any other difficulties. Or maybe those people are still stuck in Pisa or Florence trying to find their way back still :D

Very good information well appreciated!

The hardest part of the day is sure to be getting my husband out of bed that early. Off at 7 20 am!

Some questions:

1). Why is no fare listed between Livorno and Florence on your chart? Do all trains from Livorno to Florence go through, or stop in Pisa? Do you add the Livorno to Pisa and Pisa to Florence fares together to get the fare from Livorno to Florence?

I never intended the chart to be all-inclusive. I have, however, added the Firenze-Livorno fare. All trains for Firenze, from Livorno, stop in Pisa. All are regional trains and very few have 1 classe.

2) Where can I get an explanation of the various train types listed on your chart? What about the BIRG fare that I've read about? Where can I read what types of trains that fare is good for? Does the BIRG ticket say what types of trains it is good for so I don't get on the wrong one?

A train type link page has been added to my menu (www.ftroute.com/italiantrains.htm.) To the best of my knowledge, the BIRG ticket is only good in the Roma area. Think that it applies only to Regional trains.

Regional tickets are only good on regional trains.

Intercity tickets are good on Intercity, Intercity+ and may be used on Regional trains (no refunds.)

Eurostar tickets are good on Eurostar but can be used on Intercity and Regional trains (again, no refund.)

3) If I get on a better train with a BIRG ticket, can I just pay the difference or do I have to pay a full, one-way fare? By the way, for a train that doesn't require reservations, do you still have to buy a ticket in advance or can you buy a ticket on-board with some surcharge? Thanks.

You can buy on-board but you pay a huge premium (like traveling without a ticket.) Best to stop at one of the vending machines in the station and buy your ticket. Advance tickets (like 1 day) are advised for Intercity and Eurostar. Others you may buy right up until minutes before train departure. (A regional ticket does not guarantee you a seat, only 'right-of'passage' on the train.)

Archived