RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Paul

Paul, I wouldn't let my report, alone, put you off the Eurodam for the cruise you're mentioning. By April 2009 I'm sure they'll have gotten most, if not all, of the bugs worked out and the crew will be well integrated and operational! I wouldn't change my plans.

Thank you Rev. Greg. I'll certainly wait some time before deciding what to do about cancelling and will read other reviews on the dear Eurodam in the intervening period. I'd love to cruise on her, having seen round and dined on her in Southampton on 28th June, but couldn't put up with the kind of things you experienced in the Lido Restaurant at breakfast. I too thought the eating and serving areas were a little small for a ship of this size.

Paul

Likewise and Deal! Spaarndam inaugural JUL 2010

(or before-you never know);)

Like John we still hope the next ship will bear the name Spaarndam.

That is a nice small old village, not too far from Amsterdan and close to Haarlem. Also close to Northseacanal.

And...yes....there is a statue of Hans Brinkers on the dike. So a replica of that needs to be in the atrium of that ship.

1041235394_hansbrinkers.jpg.c8b71ed1679f8e2db14388663bd4c59a.jpg

I want to take this opportunity to thank Greg, Mary Ellen anyone else who has expressed their feelings about the Eurodam as they experienced it. I know it's hard sometimes to be completely honest on this board, but it's my belief that what this forum is all about is a place to gather information, both positive and negative, so we can make our decisions based on what we're looking for in a cruise.

Far too often people are called "grumpy" or "critical" because they are simply being honest. Personally, I welcome it. And it's my belief that the majority of people here do as well.

So thank you .... for the good, the bad and the in between :)

Greg, it's been a lovely cruise!!! :)

Mary Ellen: Thank you so much for posting about various accessibility issues onboard the Eurodam.

There is nothing like having first-hand information from someone who knows what to look for, in the way of accessibility!

Those who don't have to deal with such issues are typically unaware of the needs of those in wheelchairs.

I can't tell you how many times DH and I have been assured some venue was accessible, only to encounter a step or two, or encroaching furniture!!!

Your details about the Lido and dining room send up red flags for us.

We are happy to continue sailing on the Vista ships, which we have found to meet DH's needs. Not sure what type of HC cabin you checked out, but we always have to book VA or higher to be assured enough room to accommodate the wheelchair comfortably.

Spaarndam? Is this true?

The 2nd Signature-class (Eurodam's sister, due JUL 2010) hasn't been named yet. Naming her Spaarndam, a classic and historical HAL name, is just wishful thinking on my part. Plus, it sounds better than "Ameridam":rolleyes:.

Lastly, that Hans Brinker statue Ine is referring to will look great in her Atrium

The 2nd Signature-class (Eurodam's sister, due JUL 2010) hasn't been named yet. Naming her Spaarndam, a classic and historical HAL name, is just wishful thinking on my part. Plus, it sounds better than "Ameridam":rolleyes:.

Lastly, that Hans Brinker statue Ine is referring to will look great in her Atrium

John, I pray someone at HAL-HQ reads this post of yours and says "hey, that's a good idea." I'm not going to hold my breath or place any money on it, though.

As for meeting on her for her Inaugural ... I hope/plan to be aboard her for her maiden cruise (why break a tradition now that I've started and actually repeated it?). I just pray that they have it over here so that it's a cheaper proposition. :D

What about 'Dubbeldam' or 'Monnikendam' and 'Madurodam'?

John, I pray someone at HAL-HQ reads this post of yours and says "hey, that's a good idea." I'm not going to hold my breath or place any money on it, though.

As for meeting on her for her Inaugural ... I hope/plan to be aboard her for her maiden cruise (why break a tradition now that I've started and actually repeated it?). I just pray that they have it over here so that it's a cheaper proposition. :D

Yeah, only time will tell what Seattle will do with the name

As far as her inaugural, I would think a similar plan to Eurodam with, hopefully, Princess Maxima as godmother - We shall see!

What about 'Dubbeldam' or 'Monnikendam' and 'Madurodam'?

Madurodam only if it is a real mini-ship....(As Maduraodam is a miniature NL in The Hague)

Greg and John, suppose the ship will get the name Spaarndam, we must be on the inaugural sailing and do the dedication on the Hans Brinkers statue...

Madurodam only if it is a real mini-ship....(As Maduraodam is a miniature NL in The Hague)

Greg and John, suppose the ship will get the name Spaarndam, we must be on the inaugural sailing and do the dedication on the Hans Brinkers statue...

It's a deal!:)

Ditto ... it's a deal!

Dittos on what the previous poster said, you made no comments that need explaining regarding the children.....those of us who have children, for the most part, understand where you are coming from and would never tolerate such behavior from our own and shouldnt be forced to from others' children. We take cruises to be able to relax and enjoy, not be forced to endure kids who havent been taught manners and respect. I own a child care business so obviously I must love the little ones, but there are times when I really enjoy being in adult company, or at the least, with kids who have been taught respect for others, especially their elders. Thanks again for all of your posts and the time and money you put into them, looking forward to reading all of your wrap ups and seeing more pictures.

You make me think of the wonderful parents of some of the wonderful children and youth which we had on this ship on the first 10-day cruise, and of those who are, indeed, still aboard this ship today. It's really NOT that all the children and youth are little demons ... it's just that a few of them are, and those few tend to ruin things for everybody else. And that's true for adults as well as children ... one mean, loud, arrogant, self-centered brat (be s/he 12, 21, 51, or 71) can ruin the good times for everybody.

On the last cruise, and on this one, I've enjoyed meeting those many children and youth who know how to behave in public and on a ship, who enjoy themselves without being destructive or putting other people or staff at risk. I've enjoyed meeting the parents of the well behaved children, for they tend to be well behaved too! :D I spent quite a while with a bunch of them on my shore excursion today to Leggoland. They were all great! It's always just a few who are awful and ruin it for the rest of us.

My wife, daughter and I also had the pleasure of experiencing the July 15-25 cruise on the Eurodam. However, we must have spent our time in different circles than you, as I (fortunately) did not experience the misbehaving kids that this thread has discussed.

Unfortunately, I did witness my share of misbehaving adults: Older adults picking up food on the Lido buffet with their fingers; someone even picking up a muffin, looking it over and returning it to the buffet plate; a rude maitre d'table at a certain new restaurant (not the Tamarind); smokers in public areas; adults pushing in lines, etc. Guess we blame their long-departed parents too.

The world has it's share of misbehaving kids and adults. Too bad we can't just ban them all from a cruise ship. Think of all the extra room that would create for all of us "perfect" people...Ha!Ha!

One of my dining partners suggested the "Whogivesa".

My wife, daughter and I also had the pleasure of experiencing the July 15-25 cruise on the Eurodam. However, we must have spent our time in different circles than you, as I (fortunately) did not experience the misbehaving kids that this thread has discussed.

Unfortunately, I did witness my share of misbehaving adults: Older adults picking up food on the Lido buffet with their fingers; someone even picking up a muffin, looking it over and returning it to the buffet plate; a rude maitre d'table at a certain new restaurant (not the Tamarind); smokers in public areas; adults pushing in lines, etc. Guess we blame their long-departed parents too.

The world has it's share of misbehaving kids and adults. Too bad we can't just ban them all from a cruise ship. Think of all the extra room that would create for all of us "perfect" people...Ha!Ha!

And were these adults running barefoot through the dining room, running into waiters with full trays, running into seniors with walkers/canes, having elevator races, removing the landscape stone from the plants and piling it in the elevators, running full speed down the hallways, etc? What you witnessed was rude behavior but was not a threat to the safety of others. What the parents allowed these children to do is indefensible.

Regarding the kids ... if you were not in a specific area of the main dining room, nor in the Lido at the right (wrong) times, it might not have been as obvious ... though you might have heard the sound of crashing dishes. Likewise, if you were not in a cabin on Main Deck, starboard side, forward the midships elevators, you might not have been aware of the problems going on (I wasn't there, but Ruth, Karl and Mary Ellen, Adele and Emily were). If you were not out and about after midnight, the packs of roaming kids might not have been noticeable. :D

As for the misbehaving adults! UGH! More than once I had to speak up and tell someone to NOT put that pastry back ... to take it, even if they're not going to eat it, because they had picked it up with their bare hands. Ruth tells of someone handling food, she challenged them on it, and the response was "I didn't see the tongs." How's that!? They're BIG. One has to be really trying to not see the tongs! :)

Rude adults yelling at staffers also causes me quite a lot of frustration. One can express disappointment, etc., without yelling.

Rude adults are usually what causes out of control kids.

On a different note, none of the negative comments about the ship seem to have scared away the 117 people on the roll call for the NYC intro. Hope they have the kinks ironed out by then. We expect lots of media and TA's and some confusion too.

And were these adults running barefoot through the dining room, running into waiters with full trays, running into seniors with walkers/canes, having elevator races, removing the landscape stone from the plants and piling it in the elevators, running full speed down the hallways, etc? What you witnessed was rude behavior but was not a threat to the safety of others. What the parents allowed these children to do is indefensible.

As I stated in my post, we were fortunate to not have experienced the misbehaving kids. Not in any way condoning their behavior, only that we did not witness such. We did, however, witness the misbehaving "adults".

As I stated in my post, we were fortunate to not have experienced the misbehaving kids. Not in any way condoning their behavior, only that we did not witness such. We did, however, witness the misbehaving "adults".

Out of curiosity ... what dining time did you have -- early, main, or open -- and where was your table(s)?

Quick question....what do you think about kids in Canaletto for dinner-would it be comparable to eating in the dining room or too fancy? Should I qualify? Well behaved of course ;)

I can't imagine why children would be a problem in the Canaletto. In fact, I saw kids there one night. VERY well behaved kids. So ... yes ... bring them. It's really just an upscale version of the Lido.

Archived