Travel Documentation

herling

My daughter and I will be on a mediterranean cruise coming up this July.It occurred to me that we may need special documentation along with the passport(essentially a notarized permission slip from my husband granting his permission for her to travel outside the U.S. to visit foreign countries).Has anyone had to do this?:confused:

herling

My daughter and I will be on a mediterranean cruise coming up this July.It occurred to me that we may need special documentation along with the passport(essentially a notarized permission slip from my husband granting his permission for her to travel outside the U.S. to visit foreign countries).Has anyone had to do this?:confused:

herling

We haven't had to do this but after reading several cruise contracts and FAC, if I were in your position I would get the notarized permission slip just to be on the safe side... Some places get rather touchy about minors just traveling with one parent....

How old is your daughter ??? This could have bearing on the correct answer.Did you conact the cruiseline and ask ? I would think in order to get the most accurate answer, this is who could best assist you. Sometimes answers to questions may not be accurate and could cause a problem when you board the airline or ship. :confused:

Cruise lines will sometimes ask for this permission but a lot depends on the age of the child. Individual countries and airlines are also known to ask on occasion, but usually this is when one parent arrives with the child by air and there is no obvious return.

Having the notarized permission covers all the bases, but most people are not asked for it, particularly on a cruise with an older teen who also has a passport.

The officials at the port of entry if you are not embarking from a port in the USA might well ask and deny you entry if you cannot produce it. I do not believe the ships themselves are concerned and reentering the USA is not a problem since you are going home. Most foreign ports the ships call at do not require you to go through any security either way.

If you manage to make yourself known to the officials (police) at a foreign port and you get the privilege of being detained, they may require the documentation. A very unlikely outcome, but could happen.

Archived