Anan Creek- Bears

Amy G

We are doing this tour in a few weeks and we are curious on how we should dress. Any suggestions for those who have gone? Thanks!

We did this tour last year (during the week of July 15). The weather was beautiful!!. I believe I wore shorts (because it was so warm that day). I brought a sweat shirt along with me but wound up leaving it in the storage available prior to beginning the walk. Have an EXCELLENT time, this was by far our favorite excursion and well worth the money.

hmmm, not sure what you're really asking.

the trail is well developed, some stair cases. the most interesting point will be how your guide gets you from your transportation to shore.

don't dress like a salmon. wear something that you can run in faster than your companions.....

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/wildlife_viewing/ananobservatory.shtml

have fun, i've never been dissapointed at anan (pronounced ann-ann)

hmmm, not sure what you're really asking.

the trail is well developed, some stair cases. the most interesting point will be how your guide gets you from your transportation to shore.

don't dress like a salmon. wear something that you can run in faster than your companions.....

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/recreation/wildlife_viewing/ananobservatory.shtml

have fun, i've never been dissapointed at anan (pronounced ann-ann)

Dressing like a salmon- I will avoid that! Ha ha! I am just curious if it is colder there than at port. Jeans ok? Layers obviously, but is it misty?

Dressing like a salmon- I will avoid that! Ha ha! I am just curious if it is colder there than at port. Jeans ok? Layers obviously, but is it misty?

you're at the mouth of bradfield canal, along way from glaciers so the weather should be very similar to your port. jeans are okay. don't be in a hurry, you don't want to rush up upon the bears, they share the same trail.

I absolutely don't pay to see bears. Have seen plenty (too many) over the years without paying a penny.

Edited to add: my old Dad would rise up from the dead if he found out I was paying money to see bears. Reason: he used to hunt them and we ate them.

Perhaps I'm concerned that the bears know this information!

Is it possible to rent a car from Ketchikan and drive up to Anan Creek, Margret creek or Fish creek and view bears without having to take the 'expensive' tours?

If not, what is the most resonably priced tour coumpany to go with?

You won't need to overdress, for sure. We wore lined nylon jogging suits with Tees underneath and tennis shoes and after walking that trail as quickly as we could (the 2 of us all by ourselves)whistling, singing, talking loudly.....we were sweating by the time we reached the falls. Some of the sweating was just the adrenaline flowing and some of it, maybe a bit of nervousness, since we met a guide, carrying a gun :eek: leading a group of 5 and as he passed us he told us to be very careful around the next bend as there was a large brown bear on the trail. And here was gg and pops going into the wilderness with only a bottle of water in our hands. Oh my gosh.......I have never sang or talked so loud in all my life. BUT.....the best excursion of all of our cruises.....ever...incredibly awesome in every way. We are going to Traitor's Cove in Sept. to experience that. gg

Is it possible to rent a car from Ketchikan and drive up to Anan Creek, Margret creek or Fish creek and view bears without having to take the 'expensive' tours?

If not, what is the most resonably priced tour coumpany to go with?

i don't think the car rental company would approve you driving their cars through the ocean...........not trying to be a smart ass (though mrs. bottom-dragger may disagree) these are remote sites not road accessible. you may see bears feeding in creek street in ktn at certain times of the year.

contact the discovery center in ktn to see if bears are available in town.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/discoverycenter/index.html

me? i'd go to anan. i think margret has been abused and i've not been to fish creek.

You won't need to overdress, for sure. We wore lined nylon jogging suits with Tees underneath and tennis shoes and after walking that trail as quickly as we could (the 2 of us all by ourselves)whistling, singing, talking loudly.....we were sweating by the time we reached the falls. Some of the sweating was just the adrenaline flowing and some of it, maybe a bit of nervousness, since we met a guide, carrying a gun :eek: leading a group of 5 and as he passed us he told us to be very careful around the next bend as there was a large brown bear on the trail. And here was gg and pops going into the wilderness with only a bottle of water in our hands. Oh my gosh.......I have never sang or talked so loud in all my life. BUT.....the best excursion of all of our cruises.....ever...incredibly awesome in every way. We are going to Traitor's Cove in Sept. to experience that. gg

Ok, my husband cannot read this port or he will cancel our trip! :)

we met a guide, carrying a gun :eek: leading a group of 5 and as he passed us he told us to be very careful around the next bend as there was a large brown bear on the trail.

soon after he retired from office, ronald reagan and family chartered a cruise through southeast and visited anan (and tiny town). a secret service agent lead the group by a couple of days checking out the sites. he met with the ranger of the wrangell ranger district (manages anan) and asked if anan had any safety issues. none, other than the public is going to be better armed than you are.

We are headed to Anan next week with Island Wings. I'll make sure my husband doesn't have lox for breakfast :). I can't decide which is more exciting.....float plane ride or guns and bears. If we make it back, I'll be sure to report on our journey.

the reason anan is so successful, rather than margeret, is that you are not a part of the bears experience. a flash has an effective range of maybe 15', but you will affect animals far beyond that. you should not be flashing the bears. and you may be scolded by the forest service employees for harrassment.

look for opportunities to brace you camera against solid objects so that you can shoot at slower shutter speeds.

Is there a ledge to put up a mini tripod?

yes, the view ports at the lower and upper obervation should provide needed stabiliazation. but, also learn to brace your camera against any available stable member. you should be able to hand hold 1/60 of a sec or faster. set your camera for this and then adjust your aperature. anything slower than this you are going to start seeing the animals movements blurred. another quick/dirty rule for hand held is never to set the your exposure slower than your lens; 50mm = 1/50 sec or faster, 300mm = 1/300 sec or faster. i'm always amused with the people that buy these large male inadequacy lens and think that they'll get good photos handholding them (my dad is one of them).

tlook for opportunities to brace you camera against solid objects so that you can shoot at slower shutter speeds.

.......and turn the ISO up if you can; then post shot editing in a noise reducing software like Noise Ninja.

I booked with Family Air. They were recommended by another company that couldn't help us. I booked very early, before they had the permits. You might try them, they may have room or cancelations. We are in Ketchikan for only 7 hrs., and this is something my DH really wants to do. He has seen black bears here in NJ, one at his lunch once, as he worked out in the woods. But seeing them in their natural settin, hopefully feeding, after getting there by float plane, that has to be special!

Archived