Anan Creek- Bears

Amy G

I booked with Family Air. They were recommended by another company that couldn't help us. I booked very early, before they had the permits. You might try them, they may have room or cancelations. We are in Ketchikan for only 7 hrs., and this is something my DH really wants to do. He has seen black bears here in NJ, one at his lunch once, as he worked out in the woods. But seeing them in their natural settin, hopefully feeding, after getting there by float plane, that has to be special!

OK...how can I take a crash course in photography? I just set it on AF and let the camera do all the work. I had intention of learning more but time slipped away. I have a Rebel XTI and I'm leaving on Sunday. Is there any hope for me?

I booked with Family Air. They were recommended by another company that couldn't help us. I booked very early, before they had the permits. You might try them, they may have room or cancelations. We are in Ketchikan for only 7 hrs., and this is something my DH really wants to do. He has seen black bears here in NJ, one at his lunch once, as he worked out in the woods. But seeing them in their natural settin, hopefully feeding, after getting there by float plane, that has to be special!

We flew with Family Air Tours last summer to Anan Creek and it was a beautiful trip. But don't forget.......no food, no gum or mints, no drinks except water, no camera flashes at all. Heck, we did not even wear any lotion or cologne. We wanted to watch these creatures, not attract them. :D The hike through the woods is so beautiful.....lush, green, silent, old growth forest, pristine, cool....so many words to describe it. Then you hear the falls, and you climb up onto the platform and start watching the bears just meander out of the caves, rocks, woods, over the logs and down to the water where they fish with amazing skill. The black bears will take their fish back into the woods, whereas the browns will eat theirs on the spot. If the browns come in.....the blacks leave and don't ret. til the browns leave. Evidently the browns rule. BE SURE to sign up for the platform lowest to the water as soon as you arrive. There is a board posted on the highest level, so that everyone has an opportunity to be up close and personal with the bears and wow can you get some great shots. Even though I totally messed up my shots with my expensive 35 MM camera with great zoom.....because I was ignorant of the low lighting and all my pics were way too dark, I was able to watch a young German couple who were camping out on the lake there at Anan and they had beautiful shots. They had cameras with zooms like National Georgraphic photographers would have. One of their shots was a bear coming out of the water.....shaking himself. In their picture, you could see the water flying in all directions. Anyway.......this is a trip of a lifetimes and you will enjoy the services of Family Air. gg

Anyway.......this is a trip of a lifetimes and you will enjoy the services of Family Air. gg

and let's also thank the forest service for creating and maintaining a site where respect for the wildlife and quality of experience are targeted goals.

Archived