Ephesus - Private Guides - Kagan Kosagan or Levent Solmaz?

:confused: I am trying to find a private guide for Ephesus. I have seen both Kagan Kosagan and Levent Solmaz mentioned on this board.

1. Can anybody tell me their personal experience with either of them?

2. Does anybody know if one is better than the other?

3. Did you prepay them or just paid them at the end of the tour?

Thanks for any advice.

We used Kagan for 2 days of touring in Istanbul in May and he was excellent! There were 4 of us and we all felt that it was money well-spent because of how much he added to our experience of Istanbul. Not only does he explain what you are seeing, but he gives a cultural and historical context to the sites. We only wish we had known that he also was available for Ephesus - we would have booked him for that tour as well. Payment was made at the end of the tour - in US dollars.

I haven't had any experience with Levent - so can't compare them for you.

Whichever you select, I'm sure you will have an excellent tour! Be sure to see the Terrace Houses and also ask to see the Basilica of St. John on the way to Ephesus.

Nancy

I can't compare them either, having used only Levent. It sounds like the tours are pretty similiar. In any event, Levent is excellent. You pay him in dollars at the end. He took our party of seven around in a Mercedes van (with a strong air conditioner) and a separate driver (so that he could explain things without interrruption). One advantage is that Levent is college-educated in the US, so his English and understanding of American culture is perfect. He is also outstanding with children

We spent the day with Kagan last year in Istanbul and concur with everything that was said above. Money well spent and we would not hesitate to use him again. Paid at the end in US dollars.

We used Kagan (pronounced Khan like in Genghis) for Ephesus. We had a really great tour. He actually worked on the dig there. He was so interesting that my husband didn't take pictures but took videos of his tour. He is a tour guide and not a driver guide and rents the vehicle and driver which is included in his price. We did pay at the end in either US dollars or Euros - whichever we had.

We are just back and used a different guide (also mentioned on Cruise Critic) and he was excellent! English was almost perfect (he is versed in 5 languages :eek: ). He met us in a large Mercedes van that seated 12 and he had a driver, so he could spend more time concentrating on the tour for us. ;) We were very impressed!

Yes, his name is Mesut Yilmaz and he was adorable!

http://******************************

Here is part of a testimonial I sent Mesut for his website.

Mesut

Our memories of you and your amazing tour will always be with us. You certainly gave my family a most outstanding tour!

We were quite impressed with your knowledge of both Turkey and Ephesus, and of your education and communication skills.

The areas that you showed us were both historical and mysterious, as well as beautiful. I cannot wait to take a look at all of my photographs and video!

Just as your motto says, To be remembered, do the perfect!, I must say that our tour of Kusadasi, the Virgin Mary grounds, Ephesus and the Terrace Houses, indeed made for a perfect day!

We will certainly recommend you to our friends and community.

Visit our blog; posts 20 and 21 are on Ephesus. We loved Levent and would recommend him without hesitation!

http://calberrymedcruise.blogspot.com/2007_09_30_archive.html

Steve

What time of the year were you at Kusadasi and how many hours did you have there?

Your pictures of the entrance to Terrace Houses very helpful re steps and handrail. My understanding is that the arrangement re leaving Terrace Houses is what may be problematic. Do you have pictures or can you describe? Have feedback from June 1 (afternoon) tour that participants were really tired after the main Ephesus walk/tour and then did not continue to Terrace Houses.

Much thanks,

David

Hi-Our group really enjoyed the services of Kagan Kosagan last Nov. when we sailed on the Galaxy. We used him in Ephesus and then again for two days in Istanbul. He's very,very knowledgeable and personable and really cares about what he does.

We met his wife briefly at the port as she was waiting for her group. I would highly recommend Kagan for anyone who wishes to have a tour of this beautiful area. Shelly

We are doing a two day tour with Kogan Kosagan in Istanbul in the next 2 weeks. Though we have not used them before, we did a lot of research and all came back very positively. Also, he has requested that we pay at the end of our tour in US or Euros...

Wendy:)

What time of the year were you at Kusadasi and how many hours did you have there?

Your pictures of the entrance to Terrace Houses very helpful re steps and handrail. My understanding is that the arrangement re leaving Terrace Houses is what may be problematic. Do you have pictures or can you describe? Have feedback from June 1 (afternoon) tour that participants were really tired after the main Ephesus walk/tour and then did not continue to Terrace Houses.

Much thanks,

David

This picture from the blog shows the houses (covered) and how they go up the hillside (can't see the top in this pic). You exit at the top on the other side and then walk down.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_80TOI53Z6uM/RwAVd2AnIBI/AAAAAAAAAjo/VCn3Ym2bC7A/s1600-h/IMG_3698+(2).JPG

We were there in Sept. (the exact dates are in the blog). My pictures are all stored on a hard drive (but I will do some looking for them), but yes indeed the walk down from the top of the Terrace Houses back to the 'main street' was indeed laborious. If I recall the main issue (beyond the fact that there simply are a lot of steps) is that they were irregular in spacing and height thus requiring one to really focus on each step. Worth the effort though!

Steve

That is correct! When we were there last month, my sister, who uses a cane, had a very difficult time coming down the stairs. They are quite awkward and take a few extra minutes to descend.

canadian9981 - I noticed that the website address that I posted above has been deleted for some reason. I though if it were asked for, it was OK to post an address for a guide. Anyway, if you just put Mesut's name in Google, it will come up with the web address...it's his name.org ;)

That is correct! When we were there last month, my sister, who uses a cane, had a very difficult time coming down the stairs. They are quite awkward and take a few extra minutes to descend.

canadian9981 - I noticed that the website address that I posted above has been deleted for some reason. I though if it were asked for, it was OK to post an address for a guide. Anyway, if you just put Mesut's name in Google, it will come up with the web address...it's his name.org ;)

I'm sure you are right, you can post info on tour guides if it has been requested. I think it's probably because he has been suspected of self promotion on these boards.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=234&a=64

Both Levent's & Kagan's website details should appear without being **** out.

Levent: http://leventsolmaz.com/

Kagan:http://www.privatetoursinturkey.com/

Well, if that is true, I feel sure that Mesut did it without first knowing the board rules. He certainly doesn't need to be a self promoter now! This guy is in his mid 20's and seems to be doing very well. He told me that the ambassador was with him for two days. ;)

Mesut wouldn't even tell us the name of his/and his wife's olive oil company. He told us that it wouldn't be right to promote it, while offering his tour service. We wanted to have some shipped to our homes. The only reason the company was brought up, was because I asked him what his wife did.

I certainly do not want to get him in trouble.:(

Levant was great. We have since sent 4 groups and all loved him. He was reliable and knowledgable. We will use him again on our next trip. It sounds like you cant go wrong with either guide. Levant did both Kusadasi and Instanbul. We went in sept

Jeff

We had a large group, and so the cost was divided. Our tour also involved three different segments, and I honestly cannot remember the total cost. I have thrown all of my correspondence away. :rolleyes:

Remember that each of Mesut's tours are specialized to the customer, so the fee for one, might be more or less for the next customer. Also, the price of gas has risen so much, that our tour (booked a few months ago) would more than likely be higher now. ;) When we were over there, the price per gallon was $11. YIKES!!!

Send Mesut an email! I emailed him to get our pricing on the specific locations we wanted to see. He is prompt in returning correspondence.

Had my elderly parents not been with me, I could have stayed all day at Ephesus and listened to all the rich history. So fascinating! I know who to call if I ever get back over to Turkey. I liked to take my husband and adult children back someday. :)

I guess I better turn this thread back over to the OP. I didn't mean to get off subject. Whomever the OP chooses for their tour, they are in for a treat at Ephesus.

We had a large group, and so the cost was divided. Our tour also involved three different segments, and I honestly cannot remember the total cost. I have thrown all of my correspondence away. :rolleyes:

Remember that each of Mesut's tours are specialized to the customer, so the fee for one, might be more or less for the next customer. Also, the price of gas has risen so much, that our tour (booked a few months ago) would more than likely be higher now. ;) When we were over there, the price per gallon was $11. YIKES!!!

Send Mesut an email! I emailed him to get our pricing on the specific locations we wanted to see. He is prompt in returning correspondence.

Had my elderly parents not been with me, I could have stayed all day at Ephesus and listened to all the rich history. So fascinating! I know who to call if I ever get back over to Turkey. I liked to take my husband and adult children back someday. :)

I guess I better turn this thread back over to the OP. I didn't mean to get off subject. Whomever the OP chooses for their tour, they are in for a treat at Ephesus.

I've used this person twice (2007 &2008) and LOVED him, best tour ever!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived